You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

11 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Imagine persisting with Gerrard as RB.  He did moonlight there.  And had he continued there's he'd have clocked up loads of assists.  

The irony of Trent passing inside is that he's looking for someone like himself to pass to who can flick a ball around the corner with the outside of his boot and make a run.  

I think Trent is on another level to 99.9% of players.  

I agree Trent is on another level. I just think it's possible he has more chance to show that at right back in this team than midfield. We use our midfield as workhorses primarily. I don't see any comparison to Gerrard in terms of positioning. Right back was a defenders role when Gerrard played for Liverpool. That's not the role Trent plays. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I agree Trent is on another level. I just think it's possible he has more chance to show that at right back in this team than midfield. We use our midfield as workhorses primarily. I don't see any comparison to Gerrard in terms of positioning. Right back was a defenders role when Gerrard played for Liverpool. That's not the role Trent plays. 

Agree with this. The role of the midfield in this team is primarily to get the ball into the front 3 and full backs in the final third as quickly as possible, and also to cover the spaces when the opposition switches play or we lose the ball with our full backs up the field.

• Upvote 1

Gerrard played RM for quite some time, a role that is largely now extinct as a result of the attacking FB role. 

Anyway, back to Trent.  I'd be frustrated if i was him.  All that crossing, he knows deep down that 99 out of 100 crosses will not result in a goal, our forwards being too small, or generally not gambling on attacking spaces. 

And so he comes inside, a 5 foot pass inside to Elliott or Salah or Fabinho. And then they pass it back. 

I think Thiago and Trent have a similar footballing brain.  I'd love to see them paired in the middle with Fab or Hendo deeper. 

8 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Agree with this. The role of the midfield in this team is primarily to get the ball into the front 3 and full backs in the final third as quickly as possible, and also to cover the spaces when the opposition switches play or we lose the ball with our full backs up the field.

One persistent bugbear is the way in which our midfield service the front three, and are not themselves an attacking threat. 

I think our midfield sometimes take 3 passes to do something that need only take 1 pass. 

How seldom do we get Mane/Jota/Salah in behind a defence, using their pace to beat a defender to the ball?  We end up hardly ever seeing those three sprint.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Gerrard played RM for quite some time, a role that is largely now extinct as a result of the attacking FB role. 

Anyway, back to Trent.  I'd be frustrated if i was him.  All that crossing, he knows deep down that 99 out of 100 crosses will not result in a goal, our forwards being too small, or generally not gambling on attacking spaces. 

And so he comes inside, a 5 foot pass inside to Elliott or Salah or Fabinho. And then they pass it back. 

I think Thiago and Trent have a similar footballing brain.  I'd love to see them paired in the middle with Fab or Hendo deeper. 

He’s got shit loads of assists from crosses over the last few years.

We scored a headed goal from a cross against a team full of big centre halves just last week. Our best chance in the Chelsea game came from a header over the bar from a cross.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Brownie said:

He’s got shit loads of assists from crosses over the last few years.

We scored a headed goal from a cross against a team full of big centre halves just last week. Our best chance in the Chelsea game came from a header over the bar from a cross.

I thought our best chance was the one Henderson had while it was goalless. Again from a cross. 

30 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I thought our best chance was the one Henderson had while it was goalless. Again from a cross. 

Yeah I meant to say in the second half. When they were down the 10, the only real chance we had came from a cross.