You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

No, because you said you hadn’t seen anyone named right after a post in which somebody had been named. Surely that was obvious. Well, to everyone else anyway.

Do you really think  i saw that post and then posted ?? I read the thread from where I last finished and not at the end. I would have thought thats pretty obvious., but not to you?

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

He more than does a job though. He's one of the best right backs in the world. You say yourself a few posts back how crucial our full backs are to our play. So we need outstanding footballers there to do it. I'm not saying Trent can't play midfield, because I think he's a talent and has such a good footballing brain he would work it out. But fundamentally I think you're saying playing a talented player playing full back as some type of demeaning role. I think in this team it's a more attacking and creative role than midfield. We could well be selling Trent short by putting him there. 

Imagine persisting with Gerrard as RB.  He did moonlight there.  And had he continued there's he'd have clocked up loads of assists.  

The irony of Trent passing inside is that he's looking for someone like himself to pass to who can flick a ball around the corner with the outside of his boot and make a run.  

I think Trent is on another level to 99.9% of players.  

6 hours ago, an tha said:

The issue i have with having the players you name there still with us and part of our squad is that not one of them puts any pressure on the player/players ahead of them in the pecking order and are literally just bodies who add nothing (and in two of thems cases just bodies who are often broken)

They don't push the starters to be better to keep their place - and when they do have to be called upon they add nothing and we shouldn't really be carrying dead weight like that - we need more competition for places as it raises standards and performance levels and keeps first choice players sharp and on toes...and of course when we do need the back up it needs to be able to deliver/be relied upon/give us good options when in need of a change or when Plan A hasn't worked.

There are 6 names their you mention who if they left tomorrow would barely if at all be seen as a loss and that should not be case, especially in what is a compact sized squad with a boss who likes to work with such a sized squad. They all should be of a significantly higher standard at a club of our standing and with our ambitions.

Who doesn't have an issue with those 6 players? And who are you blaming for their existence in our squad, exactly?

It will take you a fair bit of effort to find any meaningful posts on here, championing them.

The one who ultimately needs to have an "issue" is  Klopp. If he doesn't, he doesn't.

If he does, and we can't sell them for whatever reason (no one wants them / they don't want to leave) what would you have him do then?

And if you're expecting FSG to sanction signings which will mean players on big wages won't make the 25 man squad, well that's just dreamland.

Especially since Covid shafted our cash flow. From day 1, they said we'd have to be self sufficient, and there is absolutely no reason to blame them for that stance now.

Otherwise it will smell of the mancs and their Norwich scarves.

And the above is all assuming Klopp would not be willing to sideline the players he either bought or gave new contracts to.

And nothing in his history or from what he's said, would suggest this to be even a remote possibility.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, m0e said:

Who doesn't have an issue with those 6 players? And who are you blaming for their existence in our squad, exactly?

It will take you a fair bit of effort to find any meaningful posts on here, championing them.

The one who ultimately needs to have an "issue" is  Klopp. If he doesn't, he doesn't.

If he does, and we can't sell them for whatever reason (no one wants them / they don't want to leave) what would you have him do then?

And if you're expecting FSG to sanction signings which will mean players on big wages won't make the 25 man squad, well that's just dreamland.

Especially since Covid shafted our cash flow. From day 1, they said we'd have to be self sufficient, and there is absolutely no reason to blame them for that stance now.

Otherwise it will smell of the mancs and their Norwich scarves.

And the above is all assuming Klopp would not be willing to sideline the players he either bought or gave new contracts to.

And nothing in his history or from what he's said, would suggest this to be even a remote possibility.

I am not saying people do not have an issue with their existence in the squad...i am simply highlighting that i feel we can't afford to have that many of them in it adding nothing.

The 'blame' for want of a better word (you used it so i will run with it) for their existence in the squad and more pertinently their continued existence in the squad has to lay at the manager/recruitment teams door/s.

As for what would i want him/the recruitment team to do if we can't sell them/nobody wants them/they don't wish to leave) well obviously that is tricky, but surely you find solutions to chip away at removing that dead wood and slowly replace.

It is IMO even more important and crucial that everybody in your squad is at a certain level when you work with a compact squad/don't have loads of money to throw at fixing any problems/you aren't able to just go out and throw a sugar daddys money around and if it fails just throw more of it around.

We obviously can't afford to just have 6 or 7 players who are a waste of space and pay them and just leave them out all the time until we find a buyer or just write them off, which makes having as many of them that if we could we probably would as we do frustrating.

All i was saying was i'd rather not have those 6/7 which shows how much to me (and i am sure many others) how disposable they are, how little they add and how much they are just a waste of wages.....and i feel there really should not be that many of them in the squad.....and bring in 2 who are going to up the levels of competition in the squad/push hard to start games and importantly add something when they do/give us more in terms of changing things and options when it needs it.

As the squad evolution continues i'd like to think we can and will get to the point where the fat is trimmed and my point was really just that if we were there now that it was trimmed and we had simply 2 players instead of those 6 or 7 much, much closer to being at the level of our (boss) first team that we would be in a stronger position than we are already and probably be not far off unstoppable frankly - even by the cheats and by our high spending rivals Chelsea and the manc rats.

For me i think we have been missing a trick since we won the title in hanging on to these 6 or 7.......even given the complications of 'finding buyers' 'them not wanting to leave' etc.....i feel there is always a way of getting players out....given we need to out players before we can bring players in it of course means we'd need to be more aggressive/creative in doing so.

It isn't easy i know that and maybe Klopp rates them/believes in them more than i/we think, but my view is he does not and therefore he is carrying those 6 or 7 and the weight of them is IMO one we would be better off without and keep in mind better off for us probably means we are winning everything, given where we are now even with that aforementioned weight.

It's fine margins isn't it at the very sharp end!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, an tha said:

I am not saying people do not have an issue with their existence in the squad...i am simply highlighting that i feel we can't afford to have that many of them in it adding nothing.

The 'blame' for want of a better word (you used it so i will run with it) for their existence in the squad and more pertinently their continued existence in the squad has to lay at the manager/recruitment teams door/s.

As for what would i want him/the recruitment team to do if we can't sell them/nobody wants them/they don't wish to leave) well obviously that is tricky, but surely you find solutions to chip away at removing that dead wood and slowly replace.

It is IMO even more important and crucial that everybody in your squad is at a certain level when you work with a compact squad/don't have loads of money to throw at fixing any problems/you aren't able to just go out and throw a sugar daddys money around and if it fails just throw more of it around.

We obviously can't afford to just have 6 or 7 players who are a waste of space and pay them and just leave them out all the time until we find a buyer or just write them off, which makes having as many of them that if we could we probably would as we do frustrating.

All i was saying was i'd rather not have those 6/7 which shows how much to me (and i am sure many others) how disposable they are, how little they add and how much they are just a waste of wages.....and i feel there really should not be that many of them in the squad.....and bring in 2 who are going to up the levels of competition in the squad/push hard to start games and importantly add something when they do/give us more in terms of changing things and options when it needs it.

As the squad evolution continues i'd like to think we can and will get to the point where the fat is trimmed and my point was really just that if we were there now that it was trimmed and we had simply 2 players instead of those 6 or 7 much, much closer to being at the level of our (boss) first team that we would be in a stronger position than we are already and probably be not far off unstoppable frankly - even by the cheats and by our high spending rivals Chelsea and the manc rats.

For me i think we have been missing a trick since we won the title in hanging on to these 6 or 7.......even given the complications of 'finding buyers' 'them not wanting to leave' etc.....i feel there is always a way of getting players out....given we need to out players before we can bring players in it of course means we'd need to be more aggressive/creative in doing so.

It isn't easy i know that and maybe Klopp rates them/believes in them more than i/we think, but my view is he does not and therefore he is carrying those 6 or 7 and the weight of them is IMO one we would be better off without and keep in mind better off for us probably means we are winning everything, given where we are now even with that aforementioned weight.

It's fine margins isn't it at the very sharp end!

That's very clear, and I have no arguements with what you say.

What I'm not seeing (generally speaking) are any solutions other than "get rid and buy better",  which to me is more the outcome rather than the process.

Every supporter I speak to of other clubs complains about 5 or more of their squad not being good enough. Than includes City, Chelsea and the Mancs, by the way.

In fact, I reckon I can name more than 5 from each of those squads. More than 5 that you wouldn't have at Liverpool, most likely.

12 hours ago, aRdja said:

I think you’re arguing against an imagined position here I’m afraid Barry. I haven’t seen anyone except for maybe @lebron who thinks we don’t need reinforcements upfront at least. I have been championing my boy Bamford for almost a year now. Midfield we’re set IMO, we’ve started with six different players so far this season, any cash spent there would be wasted. I’d go for a back up right back before another midfielder.

If we're playing football manager and don't have to take wages, playing time, keeping players happy etc into account, I'm sure there are players that could be useful to us. However, only 3-4 clubs in the world are playing real life FM, so I'm more than happy with what Jurgen and the others have been able to compile in terms of our squad.

If matches like yesterday are being used as a blueprint, I'd say what we could still do with is a midfielder able to move past players (or receive the ball inbetween the lines) and shoot  from distance with power and accuracy. We've been lacking that since Coutinho left, and it's the single most effective tactic playing against defenders (and midfielders) dropping deep like yesterday. Hopefully one of (or both) Elliott and Jones evolve into that player.

A short comment on yesterday's match... Tsimikas should have started, and Henderson should have been off sooner. Robbo was some way off his game, and Henderson (for all his other qualities) is pretty much superfluous in games where the opposition drops as deep as yesterday. Thought the front three looked lively up until Firmino got injured, Jota just isn't on the same wavelength with Salah/Mane to the extent Bobby is (as I've argued before, few are). Anyway, I'm still full of enthusiasm about our squad and chances of a CL/PL double. Come on you reds!

• Upvote 3

Just now, m0e said:

That's very clear, and I have no arguements with what you say.

What I'm not seeing is any solutions other than "get rid and buy better",  which to me is more the outcome rather than the process.

I'm not saying this is what you're saying, I'm talking more generally speaking.

Every supported I speak to of other clubs complains about 5 or more of their squad not being good enough. Than includes City, Chelsea and the Mancs, by the way.

I'm fact, I reckon I can name more than 5 form each of those squads. More than 5 that you wouldn't have at Liverpool, most likely.

Fair do's....we aren't really on different pages at all in this.

⁸If the answer to any of our questions is Adama Traore or Patrick fucking Bamford i can only assume we are either fucked or trying to get back to Roy Hodgson levels. 

Bamford turns 28 in a few days, never scored 20 league goals in a season despite being at 10 different clubs and mostly in the lower leagues. He's a career journeyman who is as welcome as Carlton Cole would have been. 

And the less said about Traore final ball amd finishing the better. 

In 11 less games our RB has 1 more goal and 20 more assists. 7 Premier league goals in a 143 games, 1 assists every 10 games on average. 

• Upvote 1