You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

I still wonder if Minamino can do something for us.  While he's not a number 9 his game seems more suited to playing further forward and central than our usual three and he can operate in tight spaces.  He may have actually had an impact for us yesterday had he got on, occupying their centre halves a bit more than we were.

28 minutes ago, m0e said:

Of course not, Barry.

I don't know anyone who sees this as a successful window. I see people trying to make sense of it.

On the flip side, I see a lot of noise about the (potential) failure of the window, that adds nothing to this forum.

Just my personal opinion.

Maybe those cunts in Boston should sort it out then! Because frankly that's the solution here. You mightn't enjoy reading it, but it's a forum and a reality. For the past week in here, we've had people preaching how it's all sound, we're in better shape than 18-20, when that's clearly not the case. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, an tha said:

The issue i have with having the players you name there still with us and part of our squad is that not one of them puts any pressure on the player/players ahead of them in the pecking order and are literally just bodies who add nothing (and in two of thems cases just bodies who are often broken)

They don't push the starters to be better to keep their place - and when they do have to be called upon they add nothing and we shouldn't really be carrying dead weight like that - we need more competition for places as it raises standards and performance levels and keeps first choice players sharp and on toes...and of course when we do need the back up it needs to be able to deliver/be relied upon/give us good options when in need of a change or when Plan A hasn't worked.

There are 6 names their you mention who if they left tomorrow would barely if at all be seen as a loss and that should not be case, especially in what is a compact sized squad with a boss who likes to work with such a sized squad. They all should be of a significantly higher standard at a club of our standing and with our ambitions.

If feels like there was more intensity to the Club, when we were building towards a proper challenge. Whilst not buying players left and right we were picking up one or two players a window (Salah, Mane, Gini, Fabinho, VDV, Ali) until we won the Champions League. And now it just feels like we've stopped. It feels like well we've done it now. Its even felt on the pitch were we are playing the same patterns over and over. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. 

The next challenge when reaching the promised land was to stay there. Those players people mention, the Adrians, Origis, lallanas, etc should have been shifted long ago. It really does feel like we are just here to see out the remainder of Jurgens reign rather than, "shit they want our crown we are not giving it". It feels like we've never wanted to stay there.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, an tha said:

The issue i have with having the players you name there still with us and part of our squad is that not one of them puts any pressure on the player/players ahead of them in the pecking order and are literally just bodies who add nothing (and in two of thems cases just bodies who are often broken)

They don't push the starters to be better to keep their place - and when they do have to be called upon they add nothing and we shouldn't really be carrying dead weight like that - we need more competition for places as it raises standards and performance levels and keeps first choice players sharp and on toes...and of course when we do need the back up it needs to be able to deliver/be relied upon/give us good options when in need of a change or when Plan A hasn't worked.

There are 6 names their you mention who if they left tomorrow would barely if at all be seen as a loss and that should not be case, especially in what is a compact sized squad with a boss who likes to work with such a sized squad. They all should be of a significantly higher standard at a club of our standing and with our ambitions.

Bullseye

14 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

If feels like there was more intensity to the Club, when we were building towards a proper challenge. Whilst not buying players left and right we were picking up one or two players a window (Salah, Mane, Gini, Fabinho, VDV, Ali) until we won the Champions League. And now it just feels like we've stopped. It feels like well we've done it now. Its even felt on the pitch were we are playing the same patterns over and over. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. 

The next challenge when reaching the promised land was to stay there. Those players people mention, the Adrians, Origis, lallanas, etc should have been shifted long ago. It really does feel like we are just here to see out the remainder of Jurgens reign rather than, "shit they want our crown we are not giving it". It feels like we've never wanted to stay there.

I suppose people will counter that view with we have bought Jota, Thiago and Konate and have Klopp seems to really trust Elliott and Jones...

Personally i feel we would be really, really well set with the addition of two players...1 in the middle of the park and 1 who can play in our front 3....2 players of high enough class to be pushing and pushing hard to be playing week in week out/there be no big drop off when they are in line up.

I'd happily see the 6 or 7 names referenced in posts above (Karius included) bin bagged to see those 2 players come in.

How easy that is in reality is of course a debatable issue, but i feel we could and should have made more progress towards that than we have to this point in time....

We can all take Klopp’s word at face value and believe that he’s happy with the balance of the squad. Likewise we could remember him saying a few weeks ago we will look to bring players in depending on departures which would tell us he’s not happy with the balances of the squad and would like to replace a couple of shit players with good players but he’s not exactly going to say that is he. The truth is Klopp isn’t that arsed about transfers and leaves that bit to the team of people incapable of finding one attainable forward in the entire world better than Divock Origi apparently.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, an tha said:

I suppose people will counter that view with we have bought Jota, Thiago and Konate and have Klopp seems to really trust Elliott and Jones...

Personally i feel we would be really, really well set with the addition of two players...1 in the middle of the park and 1 who can play in our front 3....2 players of high enough class to be pushing and pushing hard to be playing week in week out/there be no big drop off when they are in line up.

I'd happily see the 6 or 7 names referenced in posts above (Karius included) bin bagged to see those 2 players come in.

How easy that is in reality is of course a debatable issue, but i feel we could and should have made more progress towards that than we have to this point in time....

Jones and Elliot should be supplemental and on the fringes of the first team learning their trade. They shouldn't be hamstrung by being flung in as replacements. They have time so they should be given it properly.

Jota was a way, way overdue signing and only because the conditions were right, did we decide to do the deal. Thiago should never have been a replacement for Gini, but an addition. Konate is a welcome buy, it was much needed.

Winning the league made it hard to argue about strengthening but you don't just strengthen for the season you have one eye on future seasons too. Lots of folk have been talking on these forums and other forums about building a squad over the long term since about 2017. In an industry where we are competing against money pits if we are going to be cautious will still need to be making one or two additions per window.

Anyway i think I'm boring myself talking about it now. Nothing will change.

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Manes overall performances have been all over the place his control has been like someone playing squash with a bouncy ball. We all know hes a top player its just a bit weird.

Mane was electric in pre-season.  

I think Robbo was a big problem yesterday, and that leads to Trent needing to up his game, which he didn't. And when our full backs arent firing, it's a massive problem for the forwards.  

One other player capable of changing a game like yesterday would have been Coutinho.  The sort of midfielder capable of standing up a defender, making half a yard, then hitting the target.  

I think Elliott is ear-marked to be that player, but...

The other thing we miss is a top class free kick threat like Coutinho.  I'm pretty bored of seeing Trent stood over them, someone needs to break the news to him that he's not half as good at them as he thinks he is.  

2 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Mane was electric in pre-season.  

I think Robbo was a big problem yesterday, and that leads to Trent needing to up his game, which he didn't. And when our full backs arent firing, it's a massive problem for the forwards.  

One other player capable of changing a game like yesterday would have been Coutinho.  The sort of midfielder capable of standing up a defender, making half a yard, then hitting the target.  

I think Elliott is ear-marked to be that player, but...

The other thing we miss is a top class free kick threat like Coutinho.  I'm pretty bored of seeing Trent stood over them, someone needs to break the news to him that he's not half as good at them as he thinks he is.  

I find this a really strange post. Mane being electric in preseason has no bearing on real football, it's just a training session and his performance yesterday had nothing to do with robbo , he was just poor in everything he did and he needs to up his level because it's been poor for a year now. 

As for slating Trent over his free kicks. Which ones are you talking about? We got 4 free kicks yesterday in the entire game. He mostly had to take them from relatively central positions about 40 yards out. There was no shot on and a shite angle for a cross. Trent's free kicks for crosses are pretty good (although he had a couple of poor corners yesterday). On the rare occasion he has one for a shot, he is decent. He's not a world beater, but he's better than most. Coutiniho had one hot spell just before he left with free kicks. Before that he was not dissimilar to Trent in terms of quality and he certainly hasn't hit those levels in the 3.5 years since he left. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I find this a really strange post. Mane being electric in preseason has no bearing on real football, it's just a training session and his performance yesterday had nothing to do with robbo , he was just poor in everything he did and he needs to up his level because it's been poor for a year now. 

As for slating Trent over his free kicks. Which ones are you talking about? We got 4 free kicks yesterday in the entire game. He mostly had to take them from relatively central positions about 40 yards out. There was no shot on and a shite angle for a cross. Trent's free kicks for crosses are pretty good (although he had a couple of poor corners yesterday). On the rare occasion he has one for a shot, he is decent. He's not a world beater, but he's better than most. Coutiniho had one hot spell just before he left with free kicks. Before that he was not dissimilar to Trent in terms of quality and he certainly hasn't hit those levels in the 3.5 years since he left. 

My point was a general one, not specific to yesterday particularly, as yesterday was just another example of a team sitting deep against us.  

The one specific thing was how poorly Robbo and Trent played, and it IS a relevant point, they are supposed to create space for the forwards to exploit.  If they get to the byline then it takes a couple of defenders with them.  Too often yesterday Trent got to 30 yards from the byline and tried to cross or feed it into an already congested penalty area.  Trent hasn't actually got the pace to force the issue against another full back.  Trents best work this season has been when he's come inside and fed clever passes through or over central defenders.  

For me, Trent is still a CM in-waiting.  He's flogging his body to bits out wide, and some point soon I'd like to see a right-sided Tsimikas clone take his place. 

Yes, Trent has a load of assists out wide, but he does still get exposed.  

3 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

My point was a general one, not specific to yesterday particularly, as yesterday was just another example of a team sitting deep against us.  

The one specific thing was how poorly Robbo and Trent played, and it IS a relevant point, they are supposed to create space for the forwards to exploit.  If they get to the byline then it takes a couple of defenders with them.  Too often yesterday Trent got to 30 yards from the byline and tried to cross or feed it into an already congested penalty area.  Trent hasn't actually got the pace to force the issue against another full back.  Trents best work this season has been when he's come inside and fed clever passes through or over central defenders.  

For me, Trent is still a CM in-waiting.  He's flogging his body to bits out wide, and some point soon I'd like to see a right-sided Tsimikas clone take his place. 

Yes, Trent has a load of assists out wide, but he does still get exposed.  

So I disagree with quite a lot of that. They were effectively playing with a back 7 yesterday. They're well drilled and only allow 2 players to be in the wide spaces. Time and again we overloaded the right wing, with both Elliot, Trent and weirdly at times even Henderson. But they just let us have it and refused to alter the shape while mane and Salah did little to get away from their markers in the wide centre back areas . They aren't easily distracted from their chance denial tactics. Our own tactics in that 1st half were a bit one dimensional, our primary objective seemed to be the overloading of that right hand area - this in itself blocked Trent's path often as Elliot and Henderson were over that side and sometimes Trent was moving inside as that is where the space was. The team had 3 players who were undercooked going into the match (firmino, fabinho and robbo), so we looked jaded all over the pitch and looked out on our feet by 20 mins in. In that situation Trent just can't be getting to the byline, because he can't be relying on fabinho covering the space he leaves when he does that. 

Trent has plenty of pace, I'm not even sure why you think he hasn't and he's faster than Alonso, which he showed several times yesterday. I don't disagree he may have a future in midfield, but if he ends up there it'll be because we're looking for a solution there and not because Trent isn't doing a job at full back. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

So I disagree with quite a lot of that. They were effectively playing with a back 7 yesterday. They're well drilled and only allow 2 players to be in the wide spaces. Time and again we overloaded the right wing, with both Elliot, Trent and weirdly at times even Henderson. But they just let us have it and refused to alter the shape while mane and Salah did little to get away from their markers in the wide centre back areas . They aren't easily distracted from their chance denial tactics. Our own tactics in that 1st half were a bit one dimensional, our primary objective seemed to be the overloading of that right hand area - this in itself blocked Trent's path often as Elliot and Henderson were over that side and sometimes Trent was moving inside as that is where the space was. The team had 3 players who were undercooked going into the match (firmino, fabinho and robbo), so we looked jaded all over the pitch and looked out on our feet by 20 mins in. In that situation Trent just can't be getting to the byline, because he can't be relying on fabinho covering the space he leaves when he does that. 

Trent has plenty of pace, I'm not even sure why you think he hasn't and he's faster than Alonso, which he showed several times yesterday. I don't disagree he may have a future in midfield, but if he ends up there it'll be because we're looking for a solution there and not because Trent isn't doing a job at full back. 

Trent's definitely doing a job at full back, he's a terrific full back, but he's potentially even better as a CM. 

It's like playing, say, Kante as right back. He'll be a great full back, because he's a great player.  But obviously he's wasted there ultimately. 

5 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Trent's definitely doing a job at full back, he's a terrific full back, but he's potentially even better as a CM. 

It's like playing, say, Kante as right back. He'll be a great full back, because he's a great player.  But obviously he's wasted there ultimately. 

When/where have you ever seen the kind of tenacity and work rate Kante has in TAA?

Right now Trent has the best set up to his specific qualities he could ever dream of.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

We don't need that from him. We need the chaos he produces, and the space for better players it creates. 

If making space was that valuable, they'd have an award for it.

Goals - 0

Assists - 0

Space - 50m

15 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

He more than does a job though. He's one of the best right backs in the world. You say yourself a few posts back how crucial our full backs are to our play. So we need outstanding footballers there to do it. I'm not saying Trent can't play midfield, because I think he's a talent and has such a good footballing brain he would work it out. But fundamentally I think you're saying playing a talented player playing full back as some type of demeaning role. I think in this team it's a more attacking and creative role than midfield. We could well be selling Trent short by putting him there. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, CapeRed said:

Really Adama Traore for 49M?? Yeah right

No, because you said you hadn’t seen anyone named right after a post in which somebody had been named. Surely that was obvious. Well, to everyone else anyway.