You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I'll give you one.

Anthony Martial is available, probably 35-40 mil - can play central, or off the left. Has scored golas in this league.

What would you think about a player of that calibre?

I wouldn't want him.

Who else is available, name them all.  

edit - if you prefer name those who aren't available and how you know they aren't available

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I'll give you one.

Anthony Martial is available, probably 35-40 mil - can play central, or off the left. Has scored golas in this league.

Rather weaken Utd by leaving him there.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Lacazette is on the market. Double digits in the league every year.

I'd have him.

The point is we do not know who is available (I said almost impossible to name all those available, not impossible).  Did we know Jota was available? 

It's just a stupid stupid question.

4 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I’ve said it on here a while ago and I swear down our fans rate Martial more than the mancs do. He is fucking shite. One absolute bum him.

Yeah he's terrible, as bad as Origi.

Remember the question is who's good enough for us, with the caveat of also being "available".  No point in naming players as bad as or worse than we already have.

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I'll give you one.

Martial is a very talented player lacking the character and mental strength to take the final step and be a too player at a top club.

He’s lacking the excact attributes Klopp specifically says he always looks for in a player.

I definately think we need one more quality attacking player, but Martial is not what we need.

5 minutes ago, Moo said:

I'd have him.

The point is we do not know who is available (I said almost impossible to name all those available, not impossible).  Did we know Jota was available? 

It's just a stupid stupid question.

It's not that stupid actually. Klopp verbatim said if a player we wanted was available, we'd try to sign him. You can take that as saying no one we want is available.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

It's not that stupid actually. Klopp verbatim said if a player we wanted was available, we'd try to sign him. You can take that as saying no one we want is available.

You can take that as black and white as that if you like, I know he could just as easily leave out the bit where he might say "within our budget".

If you want to accuse me of accusing Klopp of lying (another tactic to try to stifle debate), then no, I think he's leading not lying.

This is the man who took the players to celebrate a crappy draw with the fans.  Did he think that draw was worthy of celebration in front of the Kop?  No.  It was about being a leader and bringing people together, that's what he does.  That's how he leads.  He is not divisive.

9 minutes ago, Moo said:

You can take that as black and white as that if you like, I know he could just as easily leave out the bit where he might say "within our budget".

If you want to accuse me of accusing Klopp of lying (another tactic to try to stifle debate), then no, I think he's leading not lying.

This is the man who took the players to celebrate a crappy draw with the fans.  Did he think that draw was worthy of celebration in front of the Kop?  No.  It was about being a leader and bringing people together, that's what he does.  That's how he leads.  He is not divisive.

I'm not saying it's black or white, it's also reading between the lines. Since Klopp has been here, the majority of the players we've bought have been very specific profiles and in a price range of around 25-45m. If there's no such attacker in that range that they like, that clubs are willing to sell or that they think can get enough game time to justify the investment, they won't do it. We seemingly just waited this summer to sign Konate despite the fact we had a CB crisis in January.

It's usually what happens. Klopp is probably not thinking; "we just need to replace Minamino and Origi no matter what". It's probably about specific replacements that they right now can't get.

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm not saying it's black or white, it's also reading between the lines. Since Klopp has been here, the majority of the players we've bought have been very specific profiles and in a price range of around 25-45m. If there's no such attacker in that range that they like, that clubs are willing to sell or that they think can get enough game time to justify the investment, they won't do it. We seemingly just waited this summer to sign Konate despite the fact we had a CB crisis in January.

It's usually what happens. Klopp is probably not thinking; "we just need to replace Minamino and Origi no matter what". It's probably about specific replacements that they right now can't get.

Wasn't Konate injured throughout the January transfer window himself? Not sure why we'd sign an injured player to replace injured players.

If first choices have not been get-able we have moved on to other targets as often as we haven't. The rigidity and relative lack of ambition that you describe is an issue when we're desperate for reinforcements. Sometimes you have to pay more to get your man, as we have done after selling significant assets. 

Just now, Moo said:

Wasn't Konate injured throughout the January transfer window himself? Not sure why we'd sign an injured player to replace injured players.

If first choices have not been get-able we have moved on to other targets as often as we haven't. The rigidity and relative lack of ambition that you describe is an issue when we're desperate for reinforcements. Sometimes you have to pay more to get your man, as we have done after selling assets. 

Are you purposefully trying to miss the point? We could have signed a real defender in Jan but waited for Konate in the summer because that's when he was available and that's who we were targeting. Because that's usually what we do. I also didn't mention getting "a" specific player, I mentioned that we often look for players in a certain range. For example, last season it was Jota, David and Sarr, all in the 30-45m range. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Are you purposefully trying to miss the point? We could have signed a real defender in Jan but waited for Konate in the summer because that's when he was available and that's who we were targeting. Because that's usually what we do. I also didn't mention getting "a" specific player, I mentioned that we often look for players in a certain range. For example, last season it was Jota, David and Sarr, all in the 30-45m range. 

No, I misread your point about Konate, apologies 

The point I am making is about the silly simplistic caveat of "available" when asking the question of who we could sign, when most of us are just supporters on a forum and not involved behind the scenes in professional football. There's plenty of players we've signed right up until the most recent ones who we, the supporters/public, didn't know were available. Like I say it's asked in order to stifle debate and criticism. Or by the brainwashed.

1 hour ago, Moo said:

He ordered the players to thank the fans for their support, not to celebrate the result. Was sat at the kop for the game and the it was absolutely electric. Think he said that it was the best atmosphere he ever experienced since he arrived.

It's gotta be someone who scores goals. Even for someone who likes Adama Traore, he'd make little sense now. Neither would Saint-Maximin or Djenepo. Or like when people would want someone like Douglas Costa back in the day. Really fast players who play wide and cross it in. But cross it in to who? We have no target man or lone striker, we have fullbacks who do the crossing to 3 forwards. So we need a forward who scores goals.