You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

They wont be actively scouting anyone at the moment but I imagine they have a passing interest in a host of managers, especially ones who have made that intermediary move like Jesse Marsch and Marco Rose.

They obviously rate the RB system highly so it'll be interesting to see how the managers at Leipzig and Salzburg get on over the next few years.

They’ll definitely be watching him. And quite a few others. 

8 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

You can never rely on Ox or Keita to be fit though, that’s the point.

How often do either of them actually have a great game?

Ox wasn’t even trusted by Klopp last season when fit and 2/3’s of our midfield were playing in defence. 

So that leaves 2 kids and Milner who’ll be 36 in Jan. 

Not less often than Fred or McTominay. Who’s Chelsea’s 5th choice midfielder? I doubt he’d be better than either player. Any money spent on midfield would be wasted, when our 2nd choice right back is Neco Williams. 

11 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

We’ll see won’t we.

I think the positive is that Klopp did not appoint the Sporting Director or Youth Team coaches, so this is independent of him. It’s not like he is making every football decision at the club like Wenger did at Arsenal for example. So stuff that is working well it should stay working well.

We have tended to have around the 2nd or 3rd highest turnover with the 3rd or 4th highest football budget the last few years under FSG. So I’d imagine that will stay the same and it will really depend on the quality of manager we can get whether we over perform that. Otherwise we’ll be back to scrapping for a top 4 spot.

Michael Edwards was the chap who took care of the Suarez money when he left. Wanting to replace him with balotteli, etoo and Lambert. He thought markovic was a footballer. Albie moreno too. Edwards has only shown his quality since klopp has run the rule over the incomings. I'm not saying klopp is discovering them, but I 100% think he rules plenty out where the spreadsheet says yes. Klopp has done it throughout his managerial career. 

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

Not less often than Fred or McTominay. Who’s Chelsea’s 5th choice midfielder? I doubt he’d be better than either player. Any money spent on midfield would be wasted, when our 2nd choice right back is Neco Williams. 

Fred and McTominay actually play games so your argument is pointless. 

With Klopp people forget it's not like he came to us off the back of a League and Cup double at Dortmund, while still an exceptional manager that dortmund team had a torrid final season and Klopp seemed burnt out (in that moment not his career in management).

The analytics team, not FSG, appear to be the ones who drive recruitment and Ian Graham's analysis of Klopps last season seems to have convinced both parties that it would be a good match.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

They wouldn’t if they play for us which is my entire point. 

Yea they would as they’d actually be fit before Ox and Keita. That’s my point. 

You’re happy going into this season banking on the fact the guaranteed injuries Ox and Keita will pick up won’t be when Henderson, Fab or Thiago have niggles or injuries too? 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Michael Edwards was the chap who took care of the Suarez money when he left. Wanting to replace him with balotteli, etoo and Lambert. He thought markovic was a footballer. Albie moreno too. Edwards has only shown his quality since klopp has run the rule over the incomings. I'm not saying klopp is discovering them, but I 100% think he rules plenty out where the spreadsheet says yes. Klopp has done it throughout his managerial career. 

In fairness if Klopp had full control of transfers we would’ve had Götze and Brandt either side of Bobby as opposed to Salah and Mane.

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

Yea they would as they’d actually be fit before Ox and Keita. That’s my point. 

You’re happy going into this season banking on the fact the guaranteed injuries Ox and Keita will pick up won’t be when Henderson, Fab or Thiago have niggles or injuries too? 

Yes, we have Milner, Jones and Elliott there too. Neither Fred nor McTominay would start before any of the aforementioned players for us. 

It's inconceivable to anti-FSG posters on here that anyone can ever learn from their mistakes. Edwards probably knows better than anyone how disappointing the likes of Markovic, Moreno or Luis Alberto were. Balotelli was just a clusterfuck from the start, I don't think either Rodgers or Edwards actually wanted him, we were just desperate for a striker.

Yes, we have Milner, Jones and Elliott there too. Neither Fred nor McTominay would start before any of the aforementioned players for us. 

McTominay at this moment in time is better than all of them including Oxlade and Keita, he's not amazing but had turned into a very decent footballer.

Fred not so much but I'd have him in before Milner and Jones but it's close.

1 minute ago, Moo said:

McTominay at this moment in time is better than all of them including Oxlade and Keita, he's not amazing but had turned into a very decent footballer.

Fred not so but I'd have him in before Milner and Jones but it's close.

McTominay wouldn’t start for our U23s. He doesn’t even start in midfield for Scotland FFS.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

Have you watched them play? Ask any United fan if he/she thinks they’re any good.

Plenty of Man Utd supporters, in fact every one I know, rate McTominay, I live amongst them I should know.

Fred is criticised by them to a similar level Keita is criticised by us, few rate him, he's a bit of a joke 

19 minutes ago, aRdja said:

In fairness if Klopp had full control of transfers we would’ve had Götze and Brandt either side of Bobby as opposed to Salah and Mane.

I don't know about Brandt. But not getting gotze didn't have a thing to do with anything good with Edwards. It was because we didn't have CL football. Who knows what would have happened had we qualified - gotze may have performed for klopp, he's the only manager to get the best out of him so far. 

22 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

With Klopp people forget it's not like he came to us off the back of a League and Cup double at Dortmund, while still an exceptional manager that dortmund team had a torrid final season and Klopp seemed burnt out (in that moment not his career in management).

The analytics team, not FSG, appear to be the ones who drive recruitment and Ian Graham's analysis of Klopps last season seems to have convinced both parties that it would be a good match.

Yeah, Klopp and our transfer people/board are just a really good match. Some of that is simply that Klopp is likely awesome to work with, but I don't get why everyone just downplays how good that relationship is.

Of course, we'll have to try to find something that works smoothly when he goes. 

15 minutes ago, Moo said:

Plenty of Man Utd supporters, in fact every one I know, rate McTominay, I live amongst them I should know.

Fred is criticised by them to a similar level Keita is criticised by us, few rate him, he's a bit of a joke 

If Fred had come through the ranks and they had paid £50m for McTominay then it would be the opposite 

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't know about Brandt. But not getting gotze didn't have a thing to do with anything good with Edwards. It was because we didn't have CL football. Who knows what would have happened had we qualified - gotze may have performed for klopp, he's the only manager to get the best out of him so far. 

Regardless very unlikely he would’ve been better than Sadio Mane, who we got in his place. Don’t think Gotze has scored as many goals in the six seasons since then as Mane’s last season for Southampton.

18 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

It's inconceivable to anti-FSG posters on here that anyone can ever learn from their mistakes. Edwards probably knows better than anyone how disappointing the likes of Markovic, Moreno or Luis Alberto were. Balotelli was just a clusterfuck from the start, I don't think either Rodgers or Edwards actually wanted him, we were just desperate for a striker.

So you're saying with all the knowledge and data analytics at our disposal, the only 2 names he could pull out of a hat were balotelli and etoo? It was clear Rodgers didn't want them. I'm sorry, we might have been desperate, but no way should they be the names on the block at that time. 

My point is there is no body of work to show if Edwards can do the job without klopp. There is plenty to suggest the reverse. Edwards might have learnt. He may have tuned his data modelling. Or he might just be shit who knows how to present a spreadsheet to the board. 

1 minute ago, Razoray said:

If Fred had come through the ranks and they had paid £50m for McTominay then it would be the opposite 

Probably the same with us and Jones/Keita, but I think that's human nature. Still, McTominay does a decent job for them and they miss him when he's out, I believe he'd be a better option for us starting in midfield than any of our back ups with the exception of Elliott who looks a real talent and needs minutes.

Regardless very unlikely he would’ve been better than Sadio Mane, who we got in his place.

With CL money, who knows, we might have bought both. But it doesn't matter. Klopp has continually throughout his career took players to other levels h he knows the players he can get.more from. Sometimes they managed it without him. But in many, many cases they've not.