You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

Mendes has played United like a fiddle, hasn't he?

They weren't interested initially, then everyone started talking about Ronaldo at City, and then their fans start crying about it, and *voila,* United are interested.

At a reported 40m/season total cost (including wages and the amortisation of the fee over 2 seasons), he had better be absolutely electric. By way of contrast Grealish is a total of 33m/season and our most expensive player ever, Van Dijk is just under 25m/season.

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Look, Klopp and I quote "promises" we'd sign a player if we were interested. What else can he say to prove that the club aren't just hamstringing him? This is getting ridiculous. 

I dont think klopp is being hamstrung, i genuinely believe he is happy with his squad. I feel like i have to preface with I'm not anti FSG because I really am not, they're good owners with flaws but I don't believe they would go big on spending unless they knew is was being recouped with sales. Why be so highly strung about it. Its only getting as ridiculous as you assume it to be. I'm chilled as fuck about the window whether we sign someone or not.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I think that might be the current situation, which is understandable. 

I don’t think it was in the past. Yes, Coutinho bought VVD and Alisson but he didn’t buy Salah, Mane, Fabinho, Keita, Ox etc. 

I suppose if you look at it in numbers, we are covered up front. 

First choice of Mane, Salah and Firmino. 

Second choice of Jota, Origi, Minamino

Emergency of Elliot & Ox. 

It’s the fact Origi and Minamino aren’t good enough which is the issue. Even a

Jota type upgrade on either of those would be hugely beneficial. 

Neither is Chamberlain. 

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I dont think klopp is being hamstrung, i genuinely believe he is happy with his squad. I feel like i have to preface with I'm not anti FSG because I really am not, they're good owners with flaws but I don't believe they would go big on spending unless they knew is was being recouped with sales. Why be so highly strung about it. Its only getting as ridiculous as you assume it to be. I'm chilled as fuck about the window whether we sign someone or not.

It's annoying because you have loads of people who think Klopp is talking crap. 

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I agree. I dont think he is or feels hamstrung. Even wijnaldum not being retained wasnt a resigning issue for him. If Jurgen thought he was being hamstrung, he'd be out the door yesterday.

• Downvote 1

Just now, BeefStroganoff said:

Of course it will because he's talking out of his arse.

You can't improve on Minamino? Origi? Milner? Jones? I'll be fully expecting us to sweep every trophy this season, seeing as we have achieved team perfection.

Case in point. 

• Downvote 1

I'd rather Greasy didn't go back to United. But, if he does, it doesn't deal with other areas of their team that need prioritising such as their midfield and the drop off in form of their goalkeeper(s). Or their manager being distinctly average.

But, I'm actually made up he's not going to City. They'd walk the league with him. Missing out on him and Kane leaves questions over their cutting edge against anybody half decent. Plus, I don't want Guardiola to win anything else before he fucks off in a couple of years. Look at him today, he's such an entitled prick. A spoilt fucker who loses his rag at even the slightest thing going against City. 

As for the downbeat mood in here. Jib it. We're skint. Probably dealing with the fallout from Covid and a drop in turnover. We're not one of the few clubs who were insulated from it and could carry on regardless. But, we've won our first 2 games. Got our 2 boss centre halves back. Make that 3 boss centre halves. Have a boss front 3. Two top class full backs too. Let's see where the season goes ftom here. It can't be as bad as last season and we'll be there or thereabouts when push comes to shove

Screenshot_20210827_155046.jpg

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Neither is Chamberlain. 

I like Ox more than most, but I’m not a fan of him playing wide up front.

What I would say is, although his performances aren’t great, he does contribute when he plays there. He got a couple of opening goals and assists in the 19/20 season when, I think, Mane was out. Southampton and Bournemouth definitely ring a bell for a goal. 

As I said though, it’s not ideal and I wouldn’t want to see regularly. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Nope. He's factually incorrect. And his own team decisions have proved that so far. 

Greatest post ever. 

Klopp talks out his arse and his team selections show it. 

Absolutely priceless.

You really are a special type of retard. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Surely we've seen enough now to realise that we're looking the Jota/Bissouma/Raphina bracket and not getting involved in the kind of circus that Haaland and Mbappe invite.

There's no way we were ever going to that Haaland or Mbappe party. If reports of the money Riola wanted for himself doing a deal for Haaland are to be believed, Id rather Haaland goes elsewhere on principle.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Of course it will because he's talking out of his arse.

You can't improve on Minamino? Origi? Milner? Jones? I'll be fully expecting us to sweep every trophy this season, seeing as we have achieved team perfection.

The question is can you improve on them enough to warrant the spend or are you just replacing players for the sake of it . If a Jota style player was available that matched the profile the club were looking for I'd fully expect the club to go for them (as does Klopp it seems).

If that player isn't available, or it would take excessive money to pry them from a club unwilling to sell, than I can understand why the club wouldn't do it even if it would provide a boost to the fan base.

• Downvote 1