You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

8 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Coutinho doesn't suit our style of play either.  I doubt Klopp would have him back even on a free.

To be honest that's in the plus column at the moment. Why do you think Klopp wouldn't want a proven class player back?

Klopp has been quoted more than once talking about how absolutely gutted he was that Coutinho left and that he tried absolutely everything to keep him. I think he'd have him back in a heartbeat. 

I don't think the deal would happen anyway. They'd surely want extra money on top of Thiago and I can't see us doing that. Not to mention I'm sure Klopp wants Thiago in the squad for next season. I also don't think we'll sign anybody over the age of 24. 

Thiago is a funny one, it’s obviously not a lack of talent with him but whatever Klopp is asking him to do is obviously at odds with what he wants to do and we’re getting the worse of both worlds. He just doesn’t look comfortable but that’s probably more to do with the circumstances he’s playing under. I don’t think I’d want to flush him after one season but it could just be another Morientes case where everything looked good on paper but it was just a bad fit.

6 hours ago, Crazy Dave said:

Some Twatter rumours about us being open to swapping Thiago in return for Coutinho. I'd have some of that. Thiago is obviously a brilliant player, but doesn't look suited to our style of play. 

Based upon no speculation at all, but I hope we look at the Championship if we're looking to fill out the squad this summer. Max Aarons has been absolute quality at right-back for Norwich and Michael Olise is a great prospect at Reading. I also like the look of Joao Pedro up front at Watford. 

We were strongly linked with a move for Joao Pedro before he went to Watford. 

Aarons would be a good signing and allow Neco to go out on loan. I'd also take Buendia from Norwich too.

Aarons yes but reading that there is alot of interest in Germany and they want 30ml plus for him and after the shit last summer i reckon they'd be a pain in the arse to deal with. 

Read about links to Michael Olise and he supposedly has a 8ml release clause

5 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

Aarons would be a good signing and allow Neco to go out on loan. I'd also take Buendia from Norwich too.

Is there anyone around the youth teams that might step up if we end up in the Europa league next year. 

Just cant see the team above blowing the lead they have now even if we can put a run of games together. If it does end up with us in that competition i think we would be better served only playing kids and fringe players in the groups and only taking it seriously in the later stages and using it as a back door into the champions league if needed

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Is there anyone around the youth teams that might step up if we end up in the Europa league next year. 

Just cant see the team above blowing the lead they have now even if we can put a run of games together. If it does end up with us in that competition i think we would be better served only playing kids and fringe players in the groups and only taking it seriously in the later stages and using it as a back door into the champions league if needed

The lads who have made our bench like Cain and Clarkson and Layton Stewart possibly. 

10 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

If you mean loan as in sold I agree.

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

The 3 below are the obvious candidates. The other youngsters that make the bench would be involved too, so long as they're still at the club - Neco & Rhys Williams.

I agree with you regarding the use of youth players to supplement the fringe players, as I would certainly look to give them majority of game time in the Europa League.

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

The lads who have made our bench like Cain and Clarkson and Layton Stewart possibly. 

Those with an outside chance based on their progression this season would be Owen Beck (LB), Conor Bradley (RB) and Tyler Morton (CM).

I do think Koumetio would be in and around a Europa League squad next season too, though I personally think he's miles off being ready for first team football.

I also think Paul Glatzel could be involved in that squad too, so long as he can stay clear of injury.

1 hour ago, J-V said:

If you mean loan as in sold I agree.

No, no, I mean loan.

He needs exposure to more regular first team football to see if he can kick on to the next level. Still only 19, converted from playing as a winger to being the deputy right back for a generational talent like Trent.

The lad makes mistakes, sure, but he's young and learning his position. Will he be good enough for us in the future, who knows? Possibly, or probably, not, but I certainly wouldn't want to see him sold off the back of this season and a small sample of last season.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

The 3 below are the obvious candidates. The other youngsters that make the bench would be involved too, so long as they're still at the club - Neco & Rhys Williams.

I agree with you regarding the use of youth players to supplement the fringe players, as I would certainly look to give them majority of game time in the Europa League.

Those with an outside chance based on their progression this season would be Owen Beck (LB), Conor Bradley (RB) and Tyler Morton (CM).

I do think Koumetio would be in and around a Europa League squad next season too, though I personally think he's miles off being ready for first team football.

I also think Paul Glatzel could be involved in that squad too, so long as he can stay clear of injury.

No, no, I mean loan.

He needs exposure to more regular first team football to see if he can kick on to the next level. Still only 19, converted from playing as a winger to being the deputy right back for a generational talent like Trent.

The lad makes mistakes, sure, but he's young and learning his position. Will he be good enough for us in the future, who knows? Possibly, or probably, not, but I certainly wouldn't want to see him sold off the back of this season and a small sample of last season.

I like Morton we have a few decent lads coming through as you know. Nice if one of the kids bought recently came good.

13 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I like Morton we have a few decent lads coming through as you know. Nice if one of the kids bought recently came good.

Morton has been really impressive since stepping up to the 23s. Hopefully he'll get a good run of games in what is left of this season, and then look to make the position his own next season, with one eye on the League Cup squads, and possibly any Europa League games, if we do end up there.

I think they'll push Kaide Gordon along fairly quickly considering the money that they spent on him. They won't rush him, but they'll be keen to advance him into the 23s setup. Bearne and Longstaff probably won't be around too much longer, nor Joe Hardy, though Layton Stewart will step up as the striker for the 23s for the most part next season I would think.

There's a good bunch of talented players in that 18s group, so as you say, hopefully we'll reap the dividends of the investment made at that level.

James Balagizi, Dominic Corness, Mateusz Musalowski, Melkamu Frauendorf, James Norris, Isaac Mabaya, Harvey Blair and big Jakub Ojrzynski all names to keep an ear/eye on.

I've also been very impressed with Jarell Quansah this season for the 18s. Really taken to the captaincy and kicked on leaps and bounds.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Crazy Dave said:

Some Twatter rumours about us being open to swapping Thiago in return for Coutinho. I'd have some of that. Thiago is obviously a brilliant player, but doesn't look suited to our style of play. 

Based upon no speculation at all, but I hope we look at the Championship if we're looking to fill out the squad this summer. Max Aarons has been absolute quality at right-back for Norwich and Michael Olise is a great prospect at Reading. I also like the look of Joao Pedro up front at Watford. 

I disagree with your first point. Coutinho is less suited to our style of play now. I genuinely have no idea where he would play for us? I think thats part of his problem at Barcelona/Bayern.

I agree with you about the Championship though. Some people may scoff at the idea of signing from England's second tier, but Leicester have done very well with the likes of Justin and Maddison. I think Championship level is about 7th or 8th in Europe now and you have the added bonus that players wouldn't need any time to settle. 

While Coutinho may not be a perfect fit for the right fee and wages I'd ha e him back. We have been crying out the last couple of months for something different, someone that can score from range or break from the midfield to score goals. If there was a tweak in games we needed to win/change going 4-2-3-1 and playong Coutinho from the left or Central behind the forward he fits in fine. 

It would all be dependent on fees etc. 

Though I'd rather get the next Coutinho and I'm guessing that's the way the club would want to look. But if Barcelona are struggling to get rid I'd happily offer a loan deal of some type. 

4 hours ago, Lee909 said:

While Coutinho may not be a perfect fit for the right fee and wages I'd ha e him back. We have been crying out the last couple of months for something different, someone that can score from range or break from the midfield to score goals. If there was a tweak in games we needed to win/change going 4-2-3-1 and playong Coutinho from the left or Central behind the forward he fits in fine. 

It would all be dependent on fees etc. 

Though I'd rather get the next Coutinho and I'm guessing that's the way the club would want to look. But if Barcelona are struggling to get rid I'd happily offer a loan deal of some type. 

Coutinho was a world class attacker for us but was always mediocre-to-poor at centre mid. Whoever it was who managed to convince him that he was the next Iniesta arguably ruined his career. However, if we were to revert back to 4-2-3-1, you’d struggle to find someone better than Coutinho to fill that AML role. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Be nice if we could sign a forward who is known to be clinical, doesn't nessecarily have to carve their own chances or be first choice but someone who lacks that finesse but can fucking whack it where they want. Get on it scout's I've done the work for you there!

With the amount of work I have done for Bruce Spanner's draft league I will courier my notes to Edwards and we'll never need to hack City's computer again.

12 hours ago, Dynamite said:

No, no, I mean loan.

So according to you we go for Aarons which I agree with we still have Trent and keep Neco to loan him out.  Neco would never get a game let alone a run of games for us at any point in his career if we had Aarons who's 21 and Trent who's 22. 

I'm sure Neco will be pleased with the above scenario as well.