You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm quite surprised Southampton haven't come back in for minamino. I assume we'd happily take a similar fee to shaq. 

He didn't exactly pull up any trees for them. I'd imagine they'll be interested in the last 48hrs where we take a low fee or loan, it'll be the same with Origi

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We won't sign someone just because we have currently uninjured players that are injury prone. It was always that someone like Keita or Ox would have to go for a replacement to come in. 

Should it not have been a replacement comes in for Gini who played most games last season & was a valued first team player by klopp. 

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't know if it's an indicator but Gomez was mostly playing left in preseason with konate right. I do wonder if it's not a question of 3rd and 4th choice, more konate is paired with matip fighting for the right side and Gomez with vvd for the left (and maybe a bit of full back cover). 

Yeah, you could be right. If that’s the case we’d surely only use Matip once a week when the games start doubling up. 

(Making a huge assumption about Matip being available, of course.)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Should it not have been a replacement comes in for Gini who played most games last season & was a valued first team player by klopp. 

Thiago was the Gini replacement a year early and Konate was brought in to make Fabinho a full time midfielder again so that the numbers stayed sufficient. 

51 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I want to see us buy another attacker before the window closes, absolutely 100%, however, I also want to see the young lads get their chances.

See you are already changing your tune. Last week you said you'd be pissed off. Now you don't want the young lads paths getting blocked. Forgetting we don't have any young lads to cover the front three. 

4 minutes ago, Daisy said:

See you are already changing your tune. Last week you said you'd be pissed off. Now you don't want the young lads paths getting blocked. Forgetting we don't have any young lads to cover the front three. 

Yes. Read my following posts on why my view has changed. We have 8 midfielders for 3 positions.

I want a new attacker and I want the young lads to get a chance. 

IMO, Origi & Minamino aren’t up to it. We need somebody extra.

The problem is that every supporter has ideas of signings when the summer starts. And then the Manager says certain things, new solutions are revealed in pre-season and then it doesn't seem so unlikely or ridiculous not to sign players. It's not a change of opinion, it's a change of circumstance. 

19 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Yeah, you could be right. If that’s the case we’d surely only use Matip once a week when the games start doubling up. 

(Making a huge assumption about Matip being available, of course.)

You would think so. I also wonder if we'll need to managed vvd's work load too through this season after such a big injury. 

As much as I'd like to see a couple of players shipped out and new signings im really not sure who you can buy. 

The front 4 we have aren't happy on the bench and Salah especially gets the right arsehole when he doesn't play. So who can you bring in good enough to challenge them but happy to only start 10/15 games a season. 

I think Ox and Keita(depending on performance/fitness)are likely in their last year and hopefully finances pick up so we can sell them. Similar with Origi and Miamino, though i suspect both are available now. 

Elliot has shown he's ready to be part of the squad already and he can't be blocked by some new 40ml signing. The kid is just going to get better and better and showed yesterday that alehouse tactics won't have him shitting his pants. Hopefully Jones pushes on aswell. If both do i think a Bissouma type as a long term Hendo cover/replacement might be called for. Though im not sure you can really carry that many players. Thiago will be interesting as i could see him move on if both Elliot and Jones flourish

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

As much as I'd like to see a couple of players shipped out and new signings im really not sure who you can buy. 

The front 4 we have aren't happy on the bench and Salah especially gets the right arsehole when he doesn't play. So who can you bring in good enough to challenge them but happy to only start 10/15 games a season. 

I think Ox and Keita(depending on performance/fitness)are likely in their last year and hopefully finances pick up so we can sell them. Similar with Origi and Miamino, though i suspect both are available now. 

Elliot has shown he's ready to be part of the squad already and he can't be blocked by some new 40ml signing. The kid is just going to get better and better and showed yesterday that alehouse tactics won't have him shitting his pants. Hopefully Jones pushes on aswell. If both do i think a Bissouma type as a long term Hendo cover/replacement might be called for. Though im not sure you can really carry that many players. Thiago will be interesting as i could see him move on if both Elliot and Jones flourish

As is being mentioned in other threads, isolation rules after internationals might mean they're missing 3 matches after the international break. Then that'll be true in October internationals, November internationals, Jan/Feb afcon and march internationals. We're still living with the pandemic, with no government help over the rules and FIFA firmly putting international football 1st. There'll be loads of fucking games. 

Screenshot_20210822-220115.jpg

13 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

If they are challenging them for a spot then they will get plenty of games.

No reason why we can't rotate and have 5 players playing 30 odd games rather than 3 players playing 40 odd games. 

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

As is being mentioned in other threads, isolation rules after internationals might mean they're missing 3 matches after the international break. Then that'll be true in October internationals, November internationals, Jan/Feb afcon and march internationals. We're still living with the pandemic, with no government help over the rules and FIFA firmly putting international football 1st. There'll be loads of fucking games. 

Screenshot_20210822-220115.jpg

That surely can't be allowed to happen...it would be ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

They're off in a week and as it stands now it is. It's fucking mental. 

You'll be looking at a number of key men missing not far off a third of season due to these rules then....that would make a mockery of the season.