You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

To be fair, they are the only club doing anything. 

Apart from their 2 games v us, I can’t confess to watching much of Arsenal last season. Still, I don’t remember many others talking about Odergaard in such glowing terms they would contemplate spending £40m on him.

I can only assume Ramsdale is going for the hat trick of relegations.

Still, be nice if Arsenal picked up a point on Sunday. 

As you know, they took out a £120m loan to repay another loan and spend on players. Anyone wanting to use arsenal as a stick to beat FSG should perhaps reflect on this: They used a loan to do so. That loan is debt loaded onto the club which lost a bit more than us in their last accounting period. They've no European football to start paying it off this season. arsenal and arteta's plan is to buy these players who are all under 23 \ 24 and hope they become core players in their team.

If arsenal dont qualify for Europe next season, will they yet load more debt on the club to buy more hopefuls or not buy anyone because of this season's buys and having to start repaying their debt?

• Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Clubs who have spent more (net) than liverpool this summer:

Man United 

Man City 

Chelsea 

Arsenal 

Spurs

Leciester 

Crystal Palace

Newcastle 

Brentford 

Leeds

Norwich

We should really be worried about most of these. Palace are especially scary. 

2 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

I mentioned how shit a signing Ramsdale was for Sheff Utd on here and someone said I was being unfair on him. Well I’m doubling down on that, even Mig looked half decent in a shit relegated side because he had 100 shots a game at him and only let in 2 or 3. Ramsdale has never even reached that level. He just looks average. Like a decent no2 like Butland, Begovich or Raimond Van Der Gouw. Sheff Utd spent over £40m on him and Brewster, chumps.

I don't think he's even that good! Possibly one of the worst keepers I've seen in the Premier League, Taibi and Padelli levels of shite! Makes Pegguy Arphexad look like Lev Yashin.

6 hours ago, Daisy said:

Clubs who have spent more (net) than liverpool this summer:

Man United 

Man City 

Chelsea 

Arsenal 

Spurs

Leciester 

Crystal Palace

Newcastle 

Brentford 

Leeds

Norwich

I am happy with that as long as the transfer window champions from the last 5 years, Everton, don't make it to the list

8 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Lyon seem to be waiting for Liverpool to buckle and give Shaqiri away for about £5m the cheeky twats.

Also on the cheeky twatometer are Southampton who now want Phillips on loan rather that just paying £15m for him. 

It’s a vicious circle. Clubs need new players but none have the money. Clubs also need to sell players to buy new players but there is nobody to sell them to. 

You’d think the closer to window closing, sellers would get more desperate to sell and buyers would get more desperate to buy and a compromise being made. 

We might even accept £19.8m instead of £20m for Origi. 

It’s either going to be a frantic end to the window or a complete wet fart. 

If we had spent £140m on the garbage that Arsenal have bought everyone on here would be up in arms. They’re becoming like Everton in spending vast sums for no discernible return. It’s not how much money you spend, it’s how you spend it. 

I’d still like us to buy a forward because I worry that January could kill a potential title run with Mo and Sadio missing for a month. I think the problem we have though is that any young forward is going to look at our team and think they’ll be fifth choice, and many would prefer to get regular games at a smaller club than sit on our bench hoping for the occasional game. I wouldn’t say no to another midfielder either, but I think we might be okay if that one doesn’t happen.

40 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I think the problem we have though is that any young forward is going to look at our team and think they’ll be fifth choice…

They’re going to rotate and will get game time. We really can’t be going into another season with Origi in that position.

2 more (midfield and attack) would definitely make people more comfortable.

Arsenal is an odd one, it's very un-arsenal like to fund signings with loans and it could give them issues further down the road but I guess the slide has been so alarming that it's shit or bust to get back in contention for European places.

I don't think they'll do a Leeds but it's very Leeds-like mortgaging the future on the present.

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

They’re going to rotate and will get game time. We really can’t be going into another season with Origi in that position.

Can't see Salah being rotated that often and given they seem to be looking at predominantly right sided attackers...

Jota is first choice back up for left and centre of the attack so Origi may be first choice if he's still around AFCON time but not as a general rule.

46 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

If we had spent £140m on the garbage that Arsenal have bought everyone on here would be up in arms. They’re becoming like Everton in spending vast sums for no discernible return. It’s not how much money you spend, it’s how you spend it. 

I’d still like us to buy a forward because I worry that January could kill a potential title run with Mo and Sadio missing for a month. I think the problem we have though is that any young forward is going to look at our team and think they’ll be fifth choice, and many would prefer to get regular games at a smaller club than sit on our bench hoping for the occasional game. I wouldn’t say no to another midfielder either, but I think we might be okay if that one doesn’t happen.

Pretty sure afcon only rules them out of 2 games. Brentford and Palace. 

3 minutes ago, Freddo said:

Pretty sure afcon only rules them out of 2 games. Brentford and Palace. 

If either of them get to the final they will in all likelihood miss the game against Leicester as it takes place three days after the final. It could definitely have been worse though as the FA Cup has helped us out as well as the winter break. 

12 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Can't see Salah being rotated that often and given they seem to be looking at predominantly right sided attackers...

Jota is first choice back up for left and centre of the attack so Origi may be first choice if he's still around AFCON time but not as a general rule.

If we were able to bring in an excellent right sided attacker we could put Salah in the middle and play them both. Did that a few times with Shaqiri, although not very often.

Someone at Jota's kind of level who can play all across the front three would get a lot of minutes for us this season. Not sure who that would be though - the options we've been linked to like Sarr, Bowen, Doku, Traore etc aren't anywhere near as good.

I think Elliot will rotate between Midfield and Salah, with Salah either going in the middle or having a bit of a rest. If someone comes in up front I'm convinced it will be a future Mané replacement, like that young Belgium lad or someone of that mould. Seems they are keeping room also for that young fellow Gordon. Not sure if he is an out an out striker or what he is. Can he play the inside forward also, or is that his position ?.

A dynamic midfielder would be really nice. The Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago combo is good. But against some opposition other combos is required. The injuries especially Hendo and Thiago will get will have them miss quite a few games. Already missed the first. Don't know about later today. Ofcourse most dream of Bellingham but that's not going to happen. Always next year or the next or the next again for him. Keeping the powder dry, saving us millions not buying him etc.

12 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Speaking of Jota, I wonder if we will have another signing like him as in late in the window and a relatively unexpected target that just makes sense when you consider it. 

Who would that be then? 

I've gone from 100 percent thinking we will sign somebody to now thinking we won't. Out of the likes of Sarr, Bowen  Troare, I'd take Sarr out of those 3 if we had to pick because someone is English that would be grim.

It's impossible to argue against signings, especially with the injury issues of some of our players, but I can guarantee what Klopp will say before the Chelsea game and it's that he has a selection headache because he has so many performing players. It's essentially what he said before the season started as well.