You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

6 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Man City lost one centre back from their title winning team the season prior and it cost them 25 points or something.

We lost all three of our centre backs to season ending injuries, plus the two midfielders filling in for long periods.

It was pretty fucking unprecedented for a title challenging team, yeah.

City suffered the same issue we did, you are right. They butchered their midfield to help the defence because they let a senior centre back go and went one light into the season. So that's 2 seasons on the run it's happened in almost identical manner, except when it happened the 2nd time it was unprecedented apparently. 

• Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

The biggest dropoff during the clusterfuck period of last season was our usually lethal front three suddenly turning into Alvaro Morata in front of goal. Nothing to do with centre backs or playing people out of position. Not saying it helped matters like.

With Barca, I'm not entirely sure how the squad registration thing works in La Liga. If a player's unregistered now do they have to keep paying him? Can they register him whenever they feel like it in future, or only at certain points, eg. January?

Right now they have Aguero, Umtiti, Fati, Dembele, Coutinho and a few others unregistered. Not seen a great deal of Fati but wasn't he very highly rated at some point? 

I think the biggest clusterfuck was putting Fabinho in defence. 

We were going games without a shot on target  the whole team was imbalanced. Fabinho is transformative to this side. The lack of clinical finishing has been a problem but last season it all stemmed from the defence changing the makeup of the side and everything went tits up. As soon as Fab was back where he belonged  we could grind again if not flourish.

• Like 1

And as Barry says, Matip and Gomez getting injuries is not unprecedented whatsoever. It was questioned this time last year why Hoever and Lovren hadn't been replaced, especially given Joe and Joel's injury records. 

I remember reading on here that 'Ibrupofen' Konate is a tad prone himself. Hopefully any injuries there won't be so severe but I am certainly expecting them again. 

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Can't think of many teams that have lost all of there main centrebacks for a significant portion of the season before.

Can't think of many teams that have gone into a season with only three main centrebacks, especially knowing two of them are severely injury prone.

It was predicted two would be out injured, the issue came when VVD, who had not missed a league game in 2 seasons got a season ending injury in October.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Remmie said:

And as Barry says, Matip and Gomez getting injuries is not unprecedented whatsoever. It was questioned this time last year why Hoever and Lovren hadn't been replaced, especially given Joe and Joel's injury records. 

I remember reading on here that 'Ibrupofen' Konate is a tad prone himself. Hopefully any injuries there won't be so severe but I am certainly expecting them again. 

Konate has played 32 games in the last 2 seasons. By comparison Gomez played 55 and matip 25. 

Gomez's injury issues are overplayed, he had a cruciate injury in 16/17, an impact injury that broke his ankle in 2018 and then the injury last season, we aren't talking a consistent 2 or 3 weeks out at a time over a sustained period with muscle and ligament issues.

19 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think the biggest clusterfuck was putting Fabinho in defence. 

We were going games without a shot on target  the whole team was imbalanced. Fabinho is transformative to this side. The lack of clinical finishing has been a problem but last season it all stemmed from the defence changing the makeup of the side and everything went tits up. As soon as Fab was back where he belonged  we could grind again if not flourish.

Yep.  We had Phillips in the squad as well.  Playing anyone but him until he was forced to start him was a huge fuck up.

10 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Ian Rush as well, of course.

So just our best ever goal scorer, best ever midfielder and most famous player (all at the time) that we couldn’t keep in the good old days.

Yeah, this is the point I was trying to make. Agents in the mix make negotiati g far more difficult now. Back then our reserves could play in the central league and face good competition. Its just so different now.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Did the worst amount of shit happen? Gomez and matip are injured for long periods nearly every year, which is how lovren used to get games. Henderson misses loads. Thiago isn't a 50-odd game per season player (he managed 150 matches in 7 years at munich). From memory only Jota got an injury out of the forward line. And vvd got injured. That was the only outlier. Much of last season we had 8 or 9 of our best 11 on the pitch. We just chose to play some of them in the wrong position because the squad was short, meaning we destroyed our defence and midfield. Then we needed to look at players like Chamberlain, origi and shaq and klopp just didn't fancy them. 

Yep I would say the worst amount of shit happened. Season ending injuries to Virgil and Joe, Matip coming back early then suffering an injury that put him out from Jan would be considered really bad luck. On top of that we had a period where we couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo. I think we will see a difference this season .

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

City suffered the same issue we did, you are right. They butchered their midfield to help the defence because they let a senior centre back go and went one light into the season. So that's 2 seasons on the run it's happened in almost identical manner, except when it happened the 2nd time it was unprecedented apparently. 

Man City lost 1 player. One. Uno. We lost 3. That is, works it out on fingers, three times as bad. Not even twice!

So yeah, pretty unprecedented.

We used 3 centre back combos in 19-20. 20 different combinations last season. 

Tell you what, go back through our history, find where we won the league, then the next season lost all 3 top centre backs to season ending injuries and then still won the league.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, CapeRed said:

Yeah, this is the point I was trying to make. Agents in the mix make negotiati g far more difficult now. Back then our reserves could play in the central league and face good competition. Its just so different now.

You are both completely wrong. Back then it was an opportunity of a lifetime for those players. They also gave a fairly sizeable chunk of their playing career to the Club. I don't think its the same at all.

51 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Man City lost 1 player. One. Uno. We lost 3. That is, works it out on fingers, three times as bad. Not even twice!

So yeah, pretty unprecedented.

We used 3 centre back combos in 19-20. 20 different combinations last season. 

Tell you what, go back through our history, find where we won the league, then the next season lost all 3 top centre backs to season ending injuries and then still won the league.

We lost three players 2 of which were being predicted for about a year beforehand.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Burkray09 said:

looks like Barnes has done enough so far this season to back up Sadio.

prefer to not pay the prem tax and try for a Unuvar type player. LW who cuts in field and gives room for Robo.

He's getting on a bit but from a strictly romantic sense I think it's a good move. Fowler can replace Origi who lets face it may as well just pack his bags and leave out the back door. 

10 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

You are both completely wrong. Back then it was an opportunity of a lifetime for those players. They also gave a fairly sizeable chunk of their playing career to the Club. I don't think its the same at all.

Well my point was that even in our heyday we still lost some of our best players. That was it. So not sure how that is completely wrong.