You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

43 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Because we were bidding for other defenders before hand and couldn't get them over the line. 

Those could easily have been negotiation tactics. We were linked with Kabak way before we were linked with Carmo and Caleta-Car. Those two came out of nowhere. 

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Those could easily have been negotiation tactics. We were linked with Kabak way before we were linked with Carmo and Caleta-Car. Those two came out of nowhere. 

When were linked with Fabinho, Jota, Minamino?

We tend to do these deals out the blue.

This is the last bit from Simon Hughes' article on FSG in The Athletic today.

In basic terms, FSG with Liverpool have only been able to make real profits for one big reason: selling players like Luis Suarez and Philippe Coutinho to Barcelona and reinvesting that money on the talent they think will push the team on before the cycle starts all over again.

Given Barcelona’s mind-boggling losses, reported only over the last fortnight, it seems impossible they will be able to pay huge fees for players and therefore act as the destination for stars like Mohamed Salah and act as a revenue generator for clubs with business models such as Liverpool any more.

Don't think there will be many (if any) clubs outside of the petrochemical cheats and maybe the red Mancs spending much in summer. No one else has any fucking money.

If we want an extensive squad rebuild we have to hope PSG come in and slap some money on the table. If they don't, we'll likely see an even more mingebaggy transfer window than the one we just had. Or even worse, we end up selling one of our best players to a domestic rival.

10 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm definitely not saying 100% that he'll go. It's just my gut feel from the information we have on hand. What I really hope is he comes in and is the centre half we really need, we win the CL and we sign him. That's just not where my expectations are. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm definitely not saying 100% that he'll go. It's just my gut feel from the information we have on hand. What I really hope is he comes in and is the centre half we really need, we win the CL and we sign him. That's just not where my expectations are. 

How bad do we think Kabak has to be for us to send him back? Or rather ... How good does Davies have to be?

If Davies is a Klavan-level defender rather than a Caulker-level one, I could see us starting next season with Van Dijk, Gomez, Davies, Matip and Fabinho as centre back options.

Not saying that's what I'd go for, but I could see it happening.

3 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

How bad do we think Kabak has to be for us to send him back? Or rather ... How good does Davies have to be?

If Davies is a Klavan-level defender rather than a Caulker-level one, I could see us starting next season with Van Dijk, Gomez, Davies, Matip and Fabinho as centre back options.

Not saying that's what I'd go for, but I could see it happening.

That's a good point. I guess it's too difficult to tell right now. Personally I would say if Davies is to be considered lovrens replacement, he needs to play regularly and allow us to free both Henderson and fabinho into midfield. He'll be so cheap on wages, I bet it's no issue for him to stay even if kabak can stay. As for kabak - for him to be signed, I think he needs to play well towards a level we see from Gomez/matip. 

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

This is the last bit from Simon Hughes' article on FSG in The Athletic today.

Don't think there will be many (if any) clubs outside of the petrochemical cheats and maybe the red Mancs spending much in summer. No one else has any fucking money.

If we want an extensive squad rebuild we have to hope PSG come in and slap some money on the table. If they don't, we'll likely see an even more mingebaggy transfer window than the one we just had. Or even worse, we end up selling one of our best players to a domestic rival.

I'm no finance expert - I don't understand how we're not making any money? We're one of the biggest clubs in the world. We've won the league, came second, won the champions League and got to the final, won the world championship thing. I know there's a pandemic but surely we should have made SOME money over the last four seasons??

39 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I'm no finance expert - I don't understand how we're not making any money? We're one of the biggest clubs in the world. We've won the league, came second, won the champions League and got to the final, won the world championship thing. I know there's a pandemic but surely we should have made SOME money over the last four seasons??

There's a few reasons, but the biggest one is that our wage bill is fucking massive.

Apart from the Glazers ( Blessed be their name! ) and the players, nobody makes much money out of football in the sense of taking cash out of a club. Owners are either in it for other reasons (sportswashing, kudos, love of the game) or they hope  to make a profit in the long term by increasing the value of the club and selling. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

To make money your income has to exceed your outgoings. There's no fans in stadiums, that something like a quarter to a third of the club's income cut off overnight not even counting the merch that will be bought on matchdays. Fans can still buy over the net? Sure, some can and do and they also buy unofficial merchandise as well. Dont believe people who say clubs could survive without paying fans.

The last accounts show the club made about £42m profit. Even without signing Tsimikas, Jota, Thiago etc, that £42m and more is wiped out by the lost of matchday income.

You dont have to be an expert in finance to work this out. It's like anyone's wages for the household. if you're put on short time, your wages go down and unless you make cuts where possible to your outgoings, debt quickly piles up. Somethings are essential like gas, leccie, rates so you have to pay them first and foremost and try to make savings elsewhere.

46 minutes ago, aws said:

Apart from the Glazers ( Blessed be their name! ) and the players, nobody makes much money out of football in the sense of taking cash out of a club. Owners are either in it for other reasons (sportswashing, kudos, love of the game) or they hope  to make a profit in the long term by increasing the value of the club and selling. 

This. Sure, the people who run the club day to day are on big wedges but this idea that clubs are just golden tits for the owners to milk is stuff of wild imaginations.

• Upvote 2

Sign that big 7ft bastard from Brighton for corners.

Then sign someone who can beat the near post at corners. 

Keita, Matip, Origi, Gini (grrr), and one of the front 3 I expect will go. 

One of Mbappe or Haaland need to come in if we are to properly replace one of the front 3 then fuck knows who else is out there for the rest. Prob wont need a CB if we keep these two new lads but fuck me that bench is woeful at the minute. I agree about the lad at Brighton who bossed us the other night. Is Bamford worth a shot? We need a regular scorer through the middle. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Sign that big 7ft bastard from Brighton for corners.

Then sign someone who can beat the near post at corners. 

Keita, Matip, Origi, Gini (grrr), and one of the front 3 I expect will go. 

One of Mbappe or Haaland need to come in if we are to properly replace one of the front 3 then fuck knows who else is out there for the rest. Prob wont need a CB if we keep these two new lads but fuck me that bench is woeful at the minute. I agree about the lad at Brighton who bossed us the other night. Is Bamford worth a shot? We need a regular scorer through the middle. 

If Raul Jimenez was 3-4 years younger, he’d be perfect IMO.

4 hours ago, johnsusername said:

We did make money. The accounts haven't been declared yet for the season we won the league and they'll also include prize money from the CL win as our financial year starts June 1st. And the thing is, transfers are all done over multi seasons now anyway, so it's not like if you want 2 players this summer for 50m you need to find 100m down the back of the sofa. and as we've net spent absolutely nothing for years, it's not like there's all kinds of rolling debt needs to be met. to put some perspective around all this we're clearing 500m per season - 90 of that is gate money. 300 of that is spent on wages. According to the data out last week or whenever it was from deloitte (which I believe the club cooperated on), we will still turn over 500m despite covid for last season. 

3 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Seen Kabak a lot as we were linked and I watch German footy a lot and raw is not the word. Big, strong, good in the air and quick enough. Lunges in, poor positionally and his discipline is poor. That said let Jurgen have time with him and wait and see hopefully. Still young.

So despite all this, do you think he is above Phillips and Williams? Is he likely to be ready to play in our last 20-odd games of the season or do you think Klopp will want to manage him kind of bit by bit and pick the right matches for him? 

3 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

There's a few reasons, but the biggest one is that our wage bill is fucking massive.

In our last published accounts, they declare it to be ~300m, although I am not entirely sure how they get to that number - I think the figure they must be including agents fees as if you take somewhere like transfermarkt and the salaries on there (which have salah for example at around 200k per week, which seems a reasonable assumption), it is pretty hard to figure out how we get to 300m. And while it does include non-sporting staff, their number I think was broken out separately (it is within the 300m, but was a pretty small amount) and NI made up a number that left the actual wage bill at around 275-ish million iirc. 

4 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

As a % of turnover it is not unusually high though - just similar to most of our rivals.

Evertons for example is ridiculously high...over 80%...

20 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I think Klopp will play him because we need the midfield back, he is better than the other two and has the physical attributes. The brain farts however!

my gut feeling is it was pointless bringing in anyone who doesn't have the capability to get our midfield back, but as we weren't in the market until Matip finally completely broke down, then I am guessing getting our midfield back is not the priority. I am hoping one of the centre backs (and I expect that to be Kabak) has enough about them to at least ensure one of Fabinho or Henderson can be released back into midfield. As we saw this week, Milner can't be expected to deliver the level of intensity he did against spurs playing twice a week, he just doesn't have that in his locker any more - and to be fair, neither should he. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

my gut feeling is it was pointless bringing in anyone who doesn't have the capability to get our midfield back, but as we weren't in the market until Matip finally completely broke down, then I am guessing getting our midfield back is not the priority. I am hoping one of the centre backs (and I expect that to be Kabak) has enough about them to at least ensure one of Fabinho or Henderson can be released back into midfield. As we saw this week, Milner can't be expected to deliver the level of intensity he did against spurs playing twice a week, he just doesn't have that in his locker any more - and to be fair, neither should he. 

I hope that from Kabak too.