You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

It's clear that the club are investing in keeping their proven talent. New contracts to keep the star players instead of gambling on new ones. Gini aside, this squad  team won the league at a canter, and we've added Jota, Thiago and Konate also having Elliott to call upon. 

Get Hendo, Robbo and Salah signed up for new deals and it would probably be our best transfer window since we signed Klopp

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

It's clear that the club are investing in keeping their proven talent. New contracts to keep the star players instead of gambling on new ones. Gini aside, this squad  team won the league at a canter, and we've added Jota, Thiago and Konate also having Elliott to call upon. 

Get Hendo, Robbo and Salah signed up for new deals and it would probably be our best transfer window since we signed Klopp

Klopp made the point about how difficult it was to replace players at Dortmund, not because of the talent available, but because of how long it takes to get the news players used to the system and each other, and that's without even knowing the can.

He says that as a result, his first priority as a Liverpool manager was to always keep the team together once he found the right balance.

That's what he's doing.

4 hours ago, Brownie said:

Looking on FlashScore he’s scored 1 in 3.5 throughout his career.

Thats the championship boosting his stats, 55 of his 64 career goals outside the premier league. 40ml for him is just crazy  we would be better buying nobody and waiting till next year than paying over the odds just for another attacker

53 minutes ago, m0e said:

Klopp made the point about how difficult it was to replace players at Dortmund, not because of the talent available, but because of how long it takes to get the news players used to the system and each other, and that's without even knowing the can.

He says that as a result, his first priority as a Liverpool manager was to always keep the team together once he found the right balance.

That's what he's doing.

personally i think trying to keep the squad together should be a given. players will always move on and for instance i don't have a big issue with gini leaving, we have to refresh and make the squad younger, we just need to replace the time he spent on the pitch (and i don't buy into the idea our current crop of crocks will do it).

The bigger problem for me is the players we have who don't contribute. Do you think klopp is thinkig "fuck, that diviock kid better not leave, because we'll have trouble replacing him". We have lots of players who contribute next to nothing. We have gone some way to dealing with that with Wilson and Grujic going - but they need to be followed out of the door by Shaq, Origi, Karius, minamino (and I could chuck in 2 chamberlain and keita) and possibly phillips and bring in some fresh blood. Managing the fringes and the balance of the squad is as important a job as any part of squad management. Great we've got the majority of lads tied down, but let's get rid of the fringe and invest in assets who will be able to bring us more silverware. I think bad squad management is what cost us last season - in that part of the season where we crumbled last season, we were normally just 2 or 3 players off our best XI. Personally I don't want to see us repeat it - and I would imagine none of the players we've tied down to long term contracts do either. 

You know the worst thing about FSGers? FSGers always want FSG to get credit for some shit they’re supposed to do. An FSGer will brag about some shit a normal club owner just does. An FSGer will say some shit like, "They didn’t raise ticket prices to £77." They weren’t supposed to, you dumb motherfuckers! What are you talking about?" What kind of ignorant shit is that? "They renewed our best players’ contracts" What do FSG want, a cookie?! They’re supposed to renew our best players’ contracts, you low-expectation-having motherfuckers.

• Upvote 9

45 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Thats the championship boosting his stats, 55 of his 64 career goals outside the premier league. 40ml for him is just crazy  we would be better buying nobody and waiting till next year than paying over the odds just for another attacker

Presumably you thought the same about Jota too then?

7 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Presumably you thought the same about Jota too then?

Jota had scored loads of goals in Europe the season prior, in addition to having a decent record in the Premier League and the Championship. Bowen looks decent but there's less certainty with him that he can play at the highest level.

25 minutes ago, Anubis said:

You know the worst thing about FSGers? FSGers always want FSG to get credit for some shit they’re supposed to do. An FSGer will brag about some shit a normal club owner just does. An FSGer will say some shit like, "They didn’t raise ticket prices to £77." They weren’t supposed to, you dumb motherfuckers! What are you talking about?" What kind of ignorant shit is that? "They renewed our best players’ contracts" What do FSG want, a cookie?! They’re supposed to renew our best players’ contracts, you low-expectation-having motherfuckers.

We haven’t kept our best players since the late 90’s. McManaman, Fowler, Owen, Alonso, Mascherano, Torres, Suarez, Sterling, scouring I etc all left. Only Gerrard & Carra stayed.

I think your missing the bigger picture. Yes, FSG have renewed our best players contracts, as they should. However, they’ve also appointed the right people in the right roles, that have allowed the club to thrive and be in a position where our best players, some of whom are the best if not the best players in the world in their given positions, as Klopp put it, want Liverpool to be their final destination, not a stepping stone on the way to Spain. 

Would the Spanish clubs come and pick our best players if it wasn’t for COVID19? I don’t know, I don’t care. 

If these elite players are happy to continue to commit to us, we must be doing something right. 

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

personally i think trying to keep the squad together should be a given. players will always move on and for instance i don't have a big issue with gini leaving, we have to refresh and make the squad younger, we just need to replace the time he spent on the pitch (and i don't buy into the idea our current crop of crocks will do it).

The bigger problem for me is the players we have who don't contribute. Do you think klopp is thinkig "fuck, that diviock kid better not leave, because we'll have trouble replacing him". We have lots of players who contribute next to nothing. We have gone some way to dealing with that with Wilson and Grujic going - but they need to be followed out of the door by Shaq, Origi, Karius, minamino (and I could chuck in 2 chamberlain and keita) and possibly phillips and bring in some fresh blood. Managing the fringes and the balance of the squad is as important a job as any part of squad management. Great we've got the majority of lads tied down, but let's get rid of the fringe and invest in assets who will be able to bring us more silverware. I think bad squad management is what cost us last season - in that part of the season where we crumbled last season, we were normally just 2 or 3 players off our best XI. Personally I don't want to see us repeat it - and I would imagine none of the players we've tied down to long term contracts do either. 

Its not that easy getting deadwood out the door. For a start the deadwood might not accept the wages offered, they might be more than happy to get splinters in their arse whilst picking up a nice pay cheque then again they might be happy to go but the buyers offer might be taking the piss, especially if they now the selling club wants to get them off the books.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

We haven’t kept our best players since the late 90’s. McManaman, Fowler, Owen, Alonso, Mascherano, Torres, Suarez, Sterling, scouring I etc all left. Only Gerrard & Carra stayed.

I think your missing the bigger picture. Yes, FSG have renewed our best players contracts, as they should. However, they’ve also appointed the right people in the right roles, that have allowed the club to thrive and be in a position where our best players, some of whom are the best if not the best players in the world in their given positions, as Klopp put it, want Liverpool to be their final destination, not a stepping stone on the way to Spain. 

Would the Spanish clubs come and pick our best players if it wasn’t for COVID19? I don’t know, I don’t care. 

If these elite players are happy to continue to commit to us, we must be doing something right. 

Watching Chris Rock, and America, Fumble Toward Transformation | The New  Yorker

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

The ones you really have to watch out for are the FSG salad tossers. They also know whether jelly or syrup is preferred.

2 hours ago, CapeRed said:

Its not that easy getting deadwood out the door. For a start the deadwood might not accept the wages offered, they might be more than happy to get splinters in their arse whilst picking up a nice pay cheque then again they might be happy to go but the buyers offer might be taking the piss, especially if they now the selling club wants to get them off the books.

So our deadwood pile reads origi, shaq, karius & minamino. 3 of them we bought because they were bargains and there's this idea "we won't lose money on them". But they clog the squad up if you can't sell them. It's part of an approach the club choose to make. So here we are, supposedly not being able to buy players because we were skint (the early in the summer club story) but because the squad is full and we're at the foreign player quota. Don't flood your squad with cheap foreign players then just because they have a release clause. So you're right, it's not as easy as just saying "go". But that means buying players isn't as easy as going "oh look, a release clause, spreadsheet says yes". 

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I was talking about the main team members, Barry.

Origi hasn't been offered a new contract, as far as I can tell. Neither have Naby or Oxlade.

You say it should be a given. Messi, Ramos, Thiago Silva, Lewandowski, Donaruma, Pogba, Mbappe... loads of players did or are running theirs down.

It's not as simple a "given" as you suggest.

The players have to happy, have to believe in the manager, and have to believe they can win trophies.

That's never a given, and we've seen that fuck us in the recent past.

Every time we got close to a challenge, we lost someone soon after. McManaman and Owen were the first to use Bosman to exit the club.

Then, we lost Fowler in 02 Alonso in 08, Suarez in 12, Coutinho in 18.

Only the latter was adequately replaced, and that's why we have what we have now.

We nearly lost Gerrard twice in 05 and 06 as well.

Full credit to Klopp and the club for keeping the best squad we've had since 87/88 together.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, m0e said:

I was talking about the main team members, Barry.

Origi hasn't been offered a new contract, as far as I can tell. Neither have Naby or Oxlade.

You say it's a given. Messi, Ramos, Lewandowski, Donaruma, Pogba, Mbappe... loads of players did or are running theirs down.

It's not as simple a "given" as you suggest.

The players have to happy, have to believe in the manager, and have to believe they can win trophies.

That's never a given, and we've seen that fuck us in the recent past.

Every time we got close to a challenge, we lost someone soon after. McManaman and Owen were the first to use Bosman to exit the club.

Then, we lost Fowler in 02 Alonso in 08, Suarez in 12, Coutinho in 18.

We nearly lost Gerrard twice in 05 and 06 as well.

Full credit to Klopp and the club for keeping the best squad we've had since 87/88 together.

Ok, it's a given we should want to do it. I don't think we should be overjoyed because the club wants to keep it's best players. So sound, I'm happy they're signed up, but it should be their starting point of contribution here. And of course I could argue they haven't kept it together, it's why Gini left despite us offering a contract - a fella who probably played more than any other for klopp from the day he signed. As I say, I'm ok with that, it happens. But I don't think this idea we've signed some players, so well done, job done is fair.

The squad was caught massively short last season. Even FSG melts like Scott m were saying just a few short months ago that 3 players were the minimum and the discussion wasn't if the squad needed help, but what constituted a rebuild. So ace, we've got some of put existing players to stay. Now they need to get out and add to them. 

4 hours ago, Anubis said:

ha ha love this!

Expectations are very low at this club these days Anubis.

I think it all stems from the the whole LFC going under stuff when FSG bought us, like that was ever going to happen. people are seemingly content for us to be run properly and any trophy is a bonus.

Well fuck that.

When we were dominant we kept our best players and we let those that had run their course go. And why? Because we were fucking good and we had standards. We were well run, we were successful. We invested in the playing staff constantly and kept the best players on their toes, challenged and ready to go with new players year in year out.

None of this celebratory shit about signing contracts, you were considered blessed to be playing for this great Club. We went for every trophy in every competition and went out to win it all every season. None of this sacrificing bullshit because you've only got 12 decent players.

But times have changed. I noticed the players scott mentioned, well apart from McManaman and Owen who gave plenty of years, most moved on because we weren't successful on the pitch and never looked ambitious enough. thats why serial winners leave.

• Upvote 1