You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Little vintage French football 3 Stacks take, here; we should sign Amine Adli of Toulouse. Was the best player in Ligue 2 last season. Technically gifted, versatile forward, 21 years old. Would cost around 10m as he has 1 year left on his deal and Toulouse failed to go up. I think if we aren't going big on a forward and going the younger, more unproven route, someone like him is a far smarter, cheaper alternative to someone like Doku. Bayern are interested apparently and they usually know what they're doing.

Toulouse's president is our own Damien Comolli. 

49 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

M’Bappe will stay in Paris now as they have built a string team. He would be mad to leave right now. He’s young enough to look for another challenge in 3-4 years. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e477d83ifj2d9zkh7xt2d

52 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

M’Bappe will stay in Paris now as they have built a string team. He would be mad to leave right now. He’s young enough to look for another challenge in 3-4 years. 

Possibly, sure. But I think the backlash against PSG is going to be enough that he might consider leaving on a free next summer to come to England. The endorsement money will be way higher, and I think there's at least a chance he leaves.

Maybe I'm wrong, but for some reason people have been fine with Bayern winning the Bundesliga every year but with PSG it feels like the mood is different. And I think he might want to test himself against the best, if someone in England will pay him. Of course, we probably won't be in the running, given his wages are going to be insane, but I do think it's at least 50-50 that Mbappe comes to the Premier League. That's why it feels odd to me that both City and Chelsea, who you'd imagine would be the prime suspects to buy him or Haaland, are spending so much on aging players in that position this summer. No long term perspective.

Then again, maybe they're thinking that Madrid and Barca will get their finances together and try to bring those two in, but I don't see that happening. Barca especially are in terrible shape.

1 hour ago, Arnaud said:

His issue will be if the new contract puts him out of reach of other clubs in 3-4 years and ties him to PSG by default.

33 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but for some reason people have been fine with Bayern winning the Bundesliga every year but with PSG it feels like the mood is different.

If PSG were building there team around the best young French players and adding the odd star to it like Bayern try to do people would still see it as monopolising the league but it would be more palatable from the outside looking in.

Building a team with Camavinga, Tchouameni, Konate, Upamecano, Mbappe, for example, would be so much more exciting (and cost effective) than acting as a retirement home for Ramos and Messi to pick up a pension.

The board wouldn't get the marketing power and rep from that kind of team though.

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Little vintage French football 3 Stacks take, here; we should sign Amine Adli of Toulouse. Was the best player in Ligue 2 last season. Technically gifted, versatile forward, 21 years old. Would cost around 10m as he has 1 year left on his deal and Toulouse failed to go up. I think if we aren't going big on a forward and going the younger, more unproven route, someone like him is a far smarter, cheaper alternative to someone like Doku. Bayern are interested apparently and they usually know what they're doing.

Funnily enough i was thinking the other night is there any decent talent at Toulouse, Redbird own them now so could be worth keeping a eye on any young talent coming through the ranks and could be a good place to send youngsters. Especially with the new rules about not being able to sign under 18 from the EU with Brexit

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Been looking into this and this is a great shout, actually.

Not everyone has Ligue 2 data, so it's a bit hard to say how he profiles statistically in any depth, but what there is out there looks very good. At the price, it seems a low-risk idea that would pay off huge if he could translate to a better league. Toulouse are being run by Comolli these days, though - I don't know how he feels about Liverpool?

Wonder why it's reportedly clubs like Troyes and Wolfsburg making bids? He feels to me more like the kind of player Leicester or Dortmund would buy.

Edit: I just remembered that Troyes are part of the Man City empire, right? That could explain them having the money to take a chance on a French player from Ligue 2 with big potential.

43 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Been looking into this and this is a great shout, actually.

Not everyone has Ligue 2 data, so it's a bit hard to say how he profiles statistically in any depth, but what there is out there looks very good. At the price, it seems a low-risk idea that would pay off huge if he could translate to a better league. Toulouse are being run by Comolli these days, though - I don't know how he feels about Liverpool?

Wonder why it's reportedly clubs like Troyes and Wolfsburg making bids? He feels to me more like the kind of player Leicester or Dortmund would buy.

Edit: I just remembered that Troyes are part of the Man City empire, right? That could explain them having the money to take a chance on a French player from Ligue 2 with big potential.

The reports are he has refused Troyes and Wolfsburg because Bayern have told him they'll buy him if they can sell someone first. And yeah, Troyes are an affiliate of City Football Group or whatever they call themselves.

In truth, I don't know if we'd ever target someone like him. These days, we're always going for the more established player. Even the depth signings like Minamino and Shaqiri had European experience. It seems like we don't gamble early on players anymore.

10 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Michael Edwards just over here watching City and Chelsea spend over 100m each on strikers, knowing that next summer there's going to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to sign Mbappe and Haaland and there's a decent chance those two won't be participating in the auction.

movie-time-movie.gif

I will personally come to your house, wherever it is in the world, with a basket of alcoholic beverages of your choice, if Haaland or Mbappe sign for Liverpool at any point in their careers.

7 minutes ago, Horus said:

haaland will sign for the team that showed they wanted him early on, have kept pursuing him, and signed up one of his now former teammates for £75m in this window. 

If they sign him it'll because they offered him, Raiola and his Dad the most money, not because they made him feel special.

To his credit at least he has shown the talent to justify the unedifying spectacle of his dad and agent touring the clubs before he makes his Lebron-esque decision.

Odegaard did it before he'd proved a thing and destroyed his career in the process. 

1 hour ago, Horus said:

haaland will sign for the team that showed they wanted him early on, have kept pursuing him, and signed up one of his now former teammates for £75m in this window. 

To be honest and this is a bold statement i dont think manu will finish in the top 4 this season. Sancho i think is way over priced and overrated and Varane will struggle with the pace of the permier league and to top that off Pogba will be in don't give a shit mode as he is in the last year of his contract and will off to PSG on a free next summer and Haaland wont go to a team thats not in the CL

12 minutes ago, andyj said:

To be honest and this is a bold statement i dont think manu will finish in the top 4 this season. Sancho i think is way over priced and overrated and Varane will struggle with the pace of the permier league and to top that off Pogba will be in don't give a shit mode as he is in the last year of his contract and will off to PSG on a free next summer and Haaland wont go to a team thats not in the CL

I think they will make top 4. They have too many very good players.

I think Varane's problem is injuries. I think he is a top player but I think that will be his undoing. They got him for a great price but a real risk - mind you if he gives them 30+ games, it could be pay for the risk. Sancho is a very exciting player, but he isn't world class yet.

Pogba will be his usual self. Moments of world class brilliance but for the most part mediocre. I agree he will be a destructive influence this season. They don't seem to have a leadership group of top pros like we have that can reign that shite in. City have it and Chelsea have lads like Azilpicueta. People go on about Maguire but he's nothing more than an above average defender who is probably a good pro. Not exactly a Roy Keane.

Hope you're right though. Mind you, probably better they keep Ole because a capable manager makes that squad very dangerous in the coming years. Scraping into the top 4 and keeping the Ole circus on the road might be the best thing.

31 minutes ago, andyj said:

Sancho looks a good player, and will improve them but he’s not better than Salah or Mane at the moment, therefore spending £75m on him to sit on the bench would’ve been idiotic.

On 09/08/2021 at 13:29, TD_LFC said:

Not sure it's a central feature of a Klopp midfield three as he tends to favour players who can press, and beat a press (lot's of references to press resistant), and provide the platform for fullback and the front three to provide the attacking impetus.

Even when Coutinho was here he rarely played as an 8 or a 10 and was still a goal scorer drifting in from out wide.

A bit self congratulatory but James Pearce asked a question about goals from midfield in todays press conference and Klopp responded with

"to score more goals from midfield you have to create the situations for that, so it's not that you can just say we need goals, a midfielder who plays for us in the way we play it's not that easy that he's constantly in goal scoring situations, they have to do different jobs, we have a specific set up of our team you see our fullbacks are usually in attacking moments, you see who's in the box. We could have scored more goals definitely yes but it's not about a different player it's about different positioning..."

We can pretty much bin off any verified twitter bod (or wannabe ITK's) linking us to attack minded goal scoring midfielders.

The way we play, we don’t set up to rely on goals from midfield. The lads in midfield have specific jobs to do which is mainly about protection for the full backs getting forward and getting the ball into the front 3 in dangerous positions.

That’s just our style.

• Upvote 1

Klopp is a mad bastard. He genuinely doesn’t give a shit that his bosses won’t back him in the market. He understands the perimeters set by them and never complains. Perimeters designed to grow the owners investment and potentially diminish Klopps reputation if it results in a lack of success. If we fail FSG will still have an asset with a massive financial growth. Klopp is irreplaceable. They better tie him down to a contract extension, he’s worth everything to them.