You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

Problem we’ve got with Kieta is that klopps said when he’s fit he starts. 

The lads offered nothing since we agreed to sign him the year before he came yet he’s still here now.

Was it the Madrid game away last season when he got dragged off in the 1st half? Really thought that would be the end of him here. 

To see an ever present like Gini squeezed out while this frauds still here is gutting. 

Klopps blind spot 

Just now, Dr Nowt said:

Other way round. Suarez missed the first 5 games and Sturridge started with a bang in his absence, before Luis began handing out an even bigger smack down to the rest of the league.

Yeah, something like that. I just remember his scoring every single game at one point in the season. I know he’s not the most popular player in the forum but his best was fantastic. Silky touch combined with devastating pace. 

7 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Problem we’ve got with Kieta is that klopps said when he’s fit he starts. 

The lads offered nothing since we agreed to sign him the year before he came yet he’s still here now.

Was it the Madrid game away last season when he got dragged off in the 1st half? Really thought that would be the end of him here. 

To see an ever present like Gini squeezed out while this frauds still here is gutting. 

Klopps blind spot 

He dropped him like a bad habit after Madrid, and Keita never got a look in again, even as sub.

The only thing I'm pissed of about is having Keita and Origi still in the squad, and to a lesser extent Minamino and Neco Williams.

Those 4 need upgrading, big time. And we've know about the first 2 for 2 years now.

The problem is, we need to sell them first, because of the financial implications, but also the way Klopp operates.

That's the way it is, and there's no point moaning about wanting it another way.

Having said that, if we end up relying on all 4 this season, that's unforgivable.

14 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Yeah, something like that. I just remember his scoring every single game at one point in the season. I know he’s not the most popular player in the forum but his best was fantastic. Silky touch combined with devastating pace. 

He scored three winners in a row at the beginning that year. He was injured for a couple months then came back and scored like 8 games in a row. It was a terrific attacking partnership that year for sure.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, m0e said:

The only thing I'm pissed of about is having Keita and Origi still in the squad, and to a lesser extent Minamino and Neco Williams.

Those 4 need upgrading, big time. And we've know about the first 2 for 2 years now.

The problem is, we need to sell them first, because of the financial implications, but also the way Klopp operates.

That's the way it is, and there's no point moaning about wanting it another way.

Having said that, if we end up relying on all 4 this season, that's unforgivable.

Thing is in midfield we also have Curtis Jones, Milner, and now Elliott, so we’re not *really* relying on Keita. With Origi, it’s a different story. Bobby hasn’t performed for two seasons, and we’ll lose both Mane and Salah in January for AFCON. We urgently need another forward IMO.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm less arsed about Keita, as we'd only get buttons for him anyway, and his Bundesliga form confirmed what he's capable of. It seems like a lesson in futility, but there's potentially a £50m player in there.

Origi, however, is a known quantity, and was so before we bizarrely gave him a new contract.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Completely agree. Him being younger is irrelevant when he’s so reliably unreliable.

Gini’s a 10 year old Japanese car with 150,000 on the clock, which will keep on eating up the miles for years to come. Naby is a 6 year old French car with a fucked gearbox, a weird rattling noise under the dashboard which never stops and 30,000 on the clock because it only starts 3 days out of every 7.

In the coming 2/3 seasons at least, Gini will play vastly more football at a much higher level. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Completely agree. Him being younger is irrelevant when he’s so reliably unreliable.

Gini’s a 10 year old Japanese car with 150,000 on the clock, which will keep on eating up the miles for years to come. Naby is a 6 year old French car with a fucked gearbox, a weird rattling noise under the dashboard which never stops and 30,000 on the clock because it only starts 3 days out of every 7.

In the coming 2/3 seasons at least, Gini will play vastly more football at a much higher level. 

Weird how we see Gini operate for Holland as the goal scoring creative midfielder we’ve been crying out for since coutinho left yet we let him walk out the door for nothing and are still looking for this type of midfielder. 

• Like 1

Are you lot watching Keita this pre season? 

I really don't see the reason to be tense about the squad right now.  We could and should have beat Bilbao 5-1, just Salah not hitting his stride.  Had he scored we'd have gone on from there.  And that's a decent Bilbao team, and Trent/Robbo/Matip had below average games. 

I look around and I don't see an obvious player we've missed or should be in for. 

Personally I love Soumare and think Leicester got him for half his market value.  Other than that, I look at Sancho and think he wasn't right for us at that price and wage, considering he wouldn't be an automatic starter, which he will be at United.  

There's a few 'maybe' players that have gone this summer but they all seem to have gone to clubs where they will play a lot of games.  Bailey, Buendia, Malen, Daka, Gil, Boadu, Stengs, Olise, main examples of those for me. 

The sort of players we are interested in are specific to our tactics, they aren't just exciting players with good PR. 

I think it's obvious that we will make a move if Shaqiri or Origi move on, and I hope that happens, though at that point I'd expect Klopp to find another Firmino clone, not necessarily a 30 goal player. 

I'd like another lethal attacker, but a hard worker, and happy to be part of the collective.  My vote would be Alexander Isak, but then again, would he sacrifice 20 starts a season to be understudy to Firmino? 

• Upvote 1

Not sure it's a central feature of a Klopp midfield three as he tends to favour players who can press, and beat a press (lot's of references to press resistant), and provide the platform for fullback and the front three to provide the attacking impetus.

Even when Coutinho was here he rarely played as an 8 or a 10 and was still a goal scorer drifting in from out wide.

Thiago seems to be brought in as an answer to the issue of teams sitting on the full backs and stopping the out ball but again his role looks like being the provider of the pass before the assist (though that assessment may be unfair based on the disjointed season last year).

Coincidentally stats bomb have published an article on Liverpool today and one of the things they've highlighted is that Thiago's cross field passes mirror the cross field passes that have become a hall mark of our fullbacks.

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Not sure it's a central feature of a Klopp midfield three as he tends to favour players who can press, and beat a press (lot's of references to press resistant), and provide the platform for fullback and the front three to provide the attacking impetus.

Even when Coutinho was here he rarely played as an 8 or a 10 and was still a goal scorer drifting in from out wide.

Thiago seems to be brought in as an answer to the issue of teams sitting on the full backs and stopping the out ball but again his role looks like being the provider of the pass before the assist (though that assessment may be unfair based on the disjointed season last year).

Coincidentally stats bomb have published an article on Liverpool today and one of the things they've highlighted is that Thiago's cross field passes mirror the cross field passes that have become a hall mark of our fullbacks.

Can he play right back?

1 minute ago, Anubis said:

Add Jeremy Doku to the roster of the aggressively monitored.

I like him but I don't see the rush to spend £35m on him.  Our wide forwards need to score 20 a season.  Is he ready to do that? I mean, he's scored 10 goals in professional football so far, that suggests he's too young to be spending a fortune on.  Much like Martial at United, or us with Origi, it was a complete punt on raw talent.  

We bought Jota for the same price being touted for Doku. That's smart spending, that's when we close a deal like lightening.  

There's some ailing clubs around right now, and I'm betting we're looking closely at them all for an opening.  I can't see how Arsenal are healthy right now, even Villa were testing the perimeter with bids for Smith-Rowe.  I'm wondering about Saka or Maitland-Niles.  

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Thing is in midfield we also have Curtis Jones, Milner, and now Elliott, so we’re not *really* relying on Keita. With Origi, it’s a different story. Bobby hasn’t performed for two seasons, and we’ll lose both Mane and Salah in January for AFCON. We urgently need another forward IMO.

And Ox. I'm no longer so worried about replacing Gini since seeing Elliott look so promising in midfield. But I agree about a new forward and I suspect (hope) we've got one lined up as soon as we sell one or more of Nat, Origi and Shaq. 

57 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Are you lot watching Keita this pre season? 

I really don't see the reason to be tense about the squad right now.  We could and should have beat Bilbao 5-1, just Salah not hitting his stride.  Had he scored we'd have gone on from there.  And that's a decent Bilbao team, and Trent/Robbo/Matip had below average games. 

I look around and I don't see an obvious player we've missed or should be in for. 

Personally I love Soumare and think Leicester got him for half his market value.  Other than that, I look at Sancho and think he wasn't right for us at that price and wage, considering he wouldn't be an automatic starter, which he will be at United.  

There's a few 'maybe' players that have gone this summer but they all seem to have gone to clubs where they will play a lot of games.  Bailey, Buendia, Malen, Daka, Gil, Boadu, Stengs, Olise, main examples of those for me. 

The sort of players we are interested in are specific to our tactics, they aren't just exciting players with good PR. 

I think it's obvious that we will make a move if Shaqiri or Origi move on, and I hope that happens, though at that point I'd expect Klopp to find another Firmino clone, not necessarily a 30 goal player. 

I'd like another lethal attacker, but a hard worker, and happy to be part of the collective.  My vote would be Alexander Isak, but then again, would he sacrifice 20 starts a season to be understudy to Firmino? 

I remember Bruno Cheyrou looked good in pre season one year. It means little.