You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Where have i said anything like that

My point is that the squad has a large number of injury prone players we seem happy to pay high wages to and keep on board

League games alone

Ox has missed in 75 of a possible 152 since he joined

Keita 61 of 114

Hendo(last 6 seasons)  missed 77 of 228

Matip missed 95 of 190

Shaqiri missed 69 of 114

Now not all of these are injury reasons but that is a stupid amount of games they have either been ignored(they are not trusted or thought good enough) or missed through fitness issues. Yes on paper the squad looks great but its also massive questions marks in it.

I have not said anywhere we need to go and buy buy 5 or 6 top players. But the squad can look great on paper when really its not close to as strong as its looks

I've laid out the squads.

Now tell me what you think we should be doing?

All you seem to want to do is moan and point out how our rivals are all better.

They're fucking not. Get a fucking grip.

• Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Where have i said anything like that

My point is that the squad has a large number of injury prone players we seem happy to pay high wages to and keep on board

League games alone

Ox has missed in 75 of a possible 152 since he joined

Keita 61 of 114

Hendo(last 6 seasons)  missed 77 of 228

Matip missed 95 of 190

Shaqiri missed 69 of 114

Now not all of these are injury reasons but that is a stupid amount of games they have either been ignored(they are not trusted or thought good enough) or missed through fitness issues. Yes on paper the squad looks great but its also massive questions marks in it.

I have not said anywhere we need to go and buy buy 5 or 6 top players. But the squad can look great on paper when really its not close to as strong as its looks

I've laid out the squads.

Now tell me what you think we should be doing?

All you seem to want to do is moan and point out how our rivals are all better.

They're clearly fucking not.

21 minutes ago, m0e said:

Here are the squads of the big 4. I don't see where we are weaker, particularly when looking at these overall. In fact, we are stronger down the spine than all of the rivals.

Updated with more accuracy around positions:

Screenshot 2021-08-07 at 20.15.35.png

Just now, Chris said:

Oh I don't know, at Chelsea alone... Kante, Mount, Pulisic, Jorginho, Kovacic, Havertz... 

Any three of them who aren't in the 11 every week do you?

You've named their first teamers and want to compare them to our subs?

Thiago, Henderson and Fabinho mate. Only Kante challenges them from that lot.

1 minute ago, Chris said:

Oh I don't know, at Chelsea alone... Kante, Mount, Pulisic, Jorginho, Kovacic, Havertz... 

Any three of them who aren't in the 11 every week do you?

It's worth pointing out that only Kante has a shout at making our best 11 out of them and thats dubious because Fabinho is a god. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

It's worth pointing out that only Kante has a shout at making our best 11 out of them and thats dubious because Fabinho is a god. 

Havertz would challenge Bobby, possibly. But that's it.

The other thing worth noting is that outside of their first eleven, the rest of their squad is total shite.

1 minute ago, m0e said:

Nope. I've named their best 6 midfielders. Three of them will be on their bench every week. Hence their depth being greater than ours. What part of that is not computing? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, m0e said:

I don't really want to get in to this, but we can almost guarantee our first eleven week in week out, Chelsea and the cheats play a different team every week without a real drop off in quality.

Our first eleven is as good, if not better, but their first 'elevens' contain about 15/18 players realistically which creates all kinds of advantages.

9 minutes ago, Chris said:

Nope. I've named their best 6 midfielders. Three of them will be on their bench every week. Hence their depth being greater than ours. What part of that is not computing? 

I'll spell it out for you, because you clearly don't understand positions.

Their midfield 3 is Kante, Jorginho and Mount, with Kovacic, Barkley, Loftus-Cheek and Drinkwater (hahaha) as cover.

Ours is Thiago, Fabinho and Henderson, with Jones, Keita, Milner and Oxalde as cover

Their front 3 is Havertz, Lukaku and Pulisic, with Werner, Hudson-Odoi, and Ziyech as cover.

Ours is Mane, Salah and either Bobby or Jota, with Shaqiri, Origi, Minamino, and Elliott as cover.

Where are we weaker?

You're likely to see 4 of those 6 in the same team more often than not this season, two of Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic, plus Mount and Havertz probably form the core of there best 11.

There's definelty more depth in some of the other teams at different positions though.

5 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I don't really want to get in to this, but we can almost guarantee our first eleven week in week out, Chelsea and the cheats play a different team every week without a real drop off in quality.

Our first eleven is as good, if not better, but their first 'elevens' contain about 15/18 players realistically which creates all kinds of advantages.

Quality "not wanting to get into this".

There was no drop off in quality between 2018 and 2020 which is when we won everything. The drop off happens when we have injury problems.

If Chelsea have no drop off, they'd have challenged for the league last season.

Just now, m0e said:

There was no drop off in quality between 2018 and 2020 which is when we won everything. The drop off happens when we have injury problems.

If Chelsea have no drop off, they'd have challenged for the league last season.

If Fat Francis hadn't have started the season as manger they might have.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

You're likely to see 4 of those 6 in the same team more often than not this season, two of Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic, plus Mount and Havertz probably form the core of there best 11.

There's definelty more depth in some of the other teams at different positions though.

Where exactly? Aside from full back (and particularly right back) I just don't see it.

2 minutes ago, m0e said:

We also had Gini who could play every week and a 32-34 year old Milner who can play more often. 

Nobody is denying our first 11 can match anyone in the league

But if we lost Salah for 6 weeks all of a sudden our bench is far weaker and that if Sahqiri is even on it. The major issue is our squad players who should come in and give Thiago(has only played 30 league games once in last 7 seasons)Hendo(missed 77 league games in last 6 seasons) miss as many games as they play. 

Miamino,Elliot and to a certain extent Jones(who i have massive hopes for) have not proved they are ready to step in a play week in week out of we lose one of the front three. 

If you could guarantee that Keita,Shaqiri,Ox would be fit for 30+ games a season people wouldn't be questing the squad but none have

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

We also had Gini who could play every week and a 32-34 year old Milner who can play more often. 

Nobody is denying our first 11 can match anyone in the league

But if we lost Salah for 6 weeks all of a sudden our bench is far weaker and that if Sahqiri is even on it. The major issue is our squad players who should come in and give Thiago(has only played 30 league games once in last 7 seasons)Hendo(missed 77 league games in last 6 seasons) miss as many games as they play. 

Miamino,Elliot and to a certain extent Jones(who i have massive hopes for) have not proved they are ready to step in a play week in week out of we lose one of the front three. 

If you could guarantee that Keita,Shaqiri,Ox would be fit for 30+ games a season people wouldn't be questing the squad but none have

Fair points, mate. I shouldn't have said what I said earlier either, so I apologise. Going to take some time out now.

Thanks for engaging.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, m0e said:

Where exactly? Aside from full back (and particularly right back) I just don't see it.

Maybe it's a combination of depth and tactical versatility (and the depth is partly a conscious decision by the manager).

A lot of players can play in multiple positions which would make our options look better (Salah as a central forward) and other clubs look deeper as well (Havertz best position is probably as a false nine).

Best 11 for best 11 I think we're right up there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, m0e said:

Here are the squads of the big 4. I don't see where we are weaker, particularly when looking at these overall. In fact, we are stronger down the spine than all of the rivals.

Screenshot 2021-08-07 at 20.10.29.png

@Daisy relax, knob head

13 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I mean, if someone isn't willing to acknowledge Neco Williams as a back-up right back is weaker than Joao Cancelo, I don't know what argument can be made.

Thats been acknowledged. We would normally play Milner there though if he isn't needed in midfield.

What other positions are you concerned about?

12 minutes ago, dave u said:

Add another midfielder to that, and replace Origi with a functioning striker that can actually give us something, and that squad actually compares favourably overall with anyone else I'd say.

We do need the re-enforcements though.

I agree. A proper midfielder and another attacking option, and I think we've got the best squad of the lot.

The point is, we've got the squad to challenge as it stands now.