You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

32 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Thats all very fine and well but they need to perform.

It was massive missed opportunity last season for Shaqiri, Jones, Keita, Ox, Origi and Minamino to step up and prove they were worthy of challenging for places. But none of them did.

I agree on Origi, 100%. The fact he's still here is bordering on mismanagement.

But I'm not sure what we should expect from the rest, though.

When fit, they're better than any of the other midfielders our rivals have.

Which players have City, Chelsea or United got outside of their main midfielders who have proved they can perform at the same level?

34 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The big concern there is we were top over Christmas and badly needed cover. January was a disaster. It's not Klopps fault although in hindsight I reckon he would have put Nat in sooner. 

He did go into the season with just 3 center backs, one of whom is the definition of the term: injury prone.

He then decided Fabinho and Henderson were better bets than Phillips and Williams at centre back.

How is none of that his fault?

Pretty fucking depressing to think we might have to look at Origi to make an impact this season, he doesn’t look arsed one bit, the pen the other day summed him up.

We’ve been linked with so many players but I’d love us to sign Cunha.

looks perfect for us, really impressed with him when playing for Brazil, ideal age as well.

Part of me still thinks we will make a couple of signings.

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Why would he be, and why would he go moaning to the press about it? Thats not his style.

PLUS they are his employers in a working relationship. I get pissed at my bosses but I don't go round moaning about them on Linkedin

You've got people in the thread saying he was begging for CB's last Jan. I don't remember what he said exactly at the time, but I'm pretty sure it's because he told the press. Nothing's stopping him from doing the same this summer if he's unhappy.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

You've got people in the thread saying he was begging for CB's last Jan. I don't remember what he said exactly at the time, but I'm pretty sure it's because he told the press. Nothing's stopping him from doing the same this summer if he's unhappy.

I think for the first time there was a plea there for me. Normally he doesn't do that but the situation was a bit dire like.

• Upvote 1

There's a strong hint in his quotes that he isn't happy with FSG / Edwards, to be fair.

“I am not a five-year-old kid any more and if I don’t get what I want I start crying,” he said.

“Most of the time in my life I didn’t get what I want, to be honest, so we are all pretty much used to that. I am responsible for a big part of this football club but there are people who are responsible for the whole thing and I cannot make their decision. I know they are with us and I know they want to support us and they do."

“What we have to do is improve the football in the decisive areas with this squad. That’s my job, and not sitting here and being disappointed or frustrated with some decisions. I am not. Of course, we know what we would do in an ideal world but the world is not ideal and not only for us. So we have to deal with the situation.”

“Now we talk about a centre-half. Yes, it would help: 100%. Would we score more goals with a centre half? I am not sure. Would it give us a little bit more stability in specific moments? Yes, probably. But we don’t go and say: ‘If we don’t get this or that, then we cannot perform.’ It would sound like an excuse, and the last thing we are looking for is that.”

59 minutes ago, m0e said:

Which players have City, Chelsea or United got outside of their main midfielders who have proved they can perform at the same level?

City can rotate between Rodri, Fernandhino, Gundagan, De Bruyne, Grealish, Foden and Silva. Thats pretty formidable set of midfielders of similar quality.

Chelsea have Havertz, Jorghino, Kante, Kovacic, Ziyech, Mount, Pulisic. Again pretty formidable.

Both teams don't play with dedicated out and out attackers so midfielders can come into the front three if they wish.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, m0e said:

You said anyone with half a brain could see Matip was going to get injured.

What about Klopp?

You then decided to bring up Ben Davies, as if Klopp had nothing to do with it.

What's clear to me is you think Klopp's shit don't stink.

It's also clear to me that you have no evidence that "they" compromised Klopp in any way.

I'm ok with either as a theory.

I just don't buy it.

What about Klopp? He was begging for a CB before Matip was injured. So yeah, Klopp knew it and even twats like me on here knew it. 

59 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Still absolutely certain we will buy someone I think it will be either Jarrod Bowen, Sarr maybe an outside chance on Saul, though I'm not really sure why we'd need a DM.

I'm not, our spending is defined by sales, we bring in a lot by moving on fringe players for a considerable profit. The pandemic has buggered up our usual plans because the market is depressed and no one at the moment wants to pay us £20 million for Origi etc.

1 hour ago, m0e said:

Shaq, Ox, Jones, Keita and Minamino are better than any of the midfielders our rivals have when fit? C'mon man. 

12 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I think for the first time there was a plea there for me. Normally he doesn't do that but the situation was a bit dire like.

Yes, because there was a problem in January. That just showed he can speak up if he wants to. If there's no problem now, he won't speak up. So that should tell you a bit about his mindset. He's not a complete open book, but he's not a mindgames merchant like other managers. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, because there was a problem in January. That just showed he can speak up if he wants to. If there's no problem now, he won't speak up. So that should tell you a bit about his mindset. He's not a complete open book, but he's not a mindgames merchant like other managers.

No I agree he's not, but he can't be happy with having dead wood around and no way of bringing fresh blood in can he?

Last season was very telling for me, he just doesn't fancy Shaqiri whatsoever, and Origi. He's happy to give Keita time but even last year he lost patience after Madrid.

12 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

City can rotate between Rodri, Fernandhino, Gundagan, De Bruyne, Grealish, Foden and Silva. Thats pretty formidable set of midfielders of similar quality.

Chelsea have Havertz, Jorghino, Kante, Kovacic, Ziyech, Mount, Pulisic. Again pretty formidable.

Both teams don't play with dedicated out and out attackers so midfielders can come into the front three if they wish.

Ok, let's unpack this...

City play 3 of 4 from Rodri, Fernandhino, Gundagan, De Bruyne.

And 3 of 5 from Torres, Grealish, Foden, Sterling and Mahrez (Silva will leave, and possibly even Sterling)

They only have one striker in Jesus.

We have 7 for 3 midfield positions and 8 for the 3 up top, counting Shaqiri, Origi, Minamino, and Elliott along with the main 4.

Chelsea have 6 for 3 positions in midfield with Jorghino, Kante, Mount, and Kovacic, as well as both Loftus-Cheek and Barkely (who aren't wanted).

That's strong, but not much stronger than ours, if at all.

They then have Havertz, Pulisic, Werner, Hudson Odoi, as well as both Ziyech and Abraham (who aren't wanted) for the front 6.

You say formidable. I say there isn't one world class player in there. Lukaku changes that of course, but how is that better than Mane, Salah, Jota, Firmino and Shaqiri?

It simply isn't.

I think you're over-inflating the quality of both squads, to be honest.

5 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

No I agree he's not, but he can't be happy with having dead wood around and no way of bringing fresh blood in can he?

Last season was very telling for me, he just doesn't fancy Shaqiri whatsoever, and Origi. He's happy to give Keita time but even last year he lost patience after Madrid.

Sure, there are things that aren't ideal, but is he unhappy? No, there's no basis to that. That's what I mean by subjective, people are simply inferring that from small problems that aren't flagrant.

The Origi thing, he was rewarded after Madrid and Klopp often talks about how good he is in training, but is he a good player? Not really, so he doesn't play that much. I don't think it's a big deal.

Shaqiri, he doesn't trust. I think he'd like to sell and replace him. Either with Elliott or another forward. Let's see what happens.

1 minute ago, m0e said:

Here are the squads of the big 4. My fucking arse we are weaker than our rivals. My fucking arse.Untitled spreadsheet - Sheet1.png

On paper yes but when you start crossing out Matip,Keita,Ox,Shaqiri and to a lesser extend Thiago and Henderson off the list because they are injured then it looks another story

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

On paper yes but when you start crossing out Matip,Keita,Ox,Shaqiri and to a lesser extend Thiago and Henderson off the list because they are injured then it looks another story

So you want us to add what? Another 6 or 7 six-figure salaries to cover for this? Every squad on there gets injuries, and I think we've got as good as anything out there.

Just now, m0e said:

So you want us to add what? Another 6 or 7 six-figure salaries to cover for this? Every squad on there gets injuries, and I think we've got as good as anything out there.

Where have i said anything like that

My point is that the squad has a large number of injury prone players we seem happy to pay high wages to and keep on board

League games alone

Ox has missed in 75 of a possible 152 since he joined

Keita 61 of 114

Hendo(last 6 seasons)  missed 77 of 228

Matip missed 95 of 190

Shaqiri missed 69 of 114

Now not all of these are injury reasons but that is a stupid amount of games they have either been ignored(they are not trusted or thought good enough) or missed through fitness issues. Yes on paper the squad looks great but its also massive questions marks in it.

I have not said anywhere we need to go and buy buy 5 or 6 top players. But the squad can look great on paper when really its not close to as strong as its looks

• Upvote 2