You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

29 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Fucking knew it wouldn't be long until the Next Summer is the big one bullshit. Fed up of the same shit every transfer window. 

Meanwhile Chelsea are about to spend big on lukaku. they are overpaying for him but he improves them. 

We are completely reliant on klopps Brilliance & also players not getting injured 

1 minute ago, Mark M said:

Meanwhile Chelsea are about to spend big on lukaku. they are overpaying for him but he improves them. 

We are completely reliant on klopps Brilliance & also players not getting injured 

Plus the brilliance of our players too. I want improvements as much as anyone but we can't undersell how good our players are too.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Plus the brilliance of our players too. I want improvements as much as anyone but we can't undersell how good our players are too.

We need additions - we are weaker losing a midfielder that plays week in week out at a high level.
Added to the fact all our rivals strengthening.

the Pearse article is just an excuse as to why we won’t spend this summer but it “should” happen next summer. 

38 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Fucking knew it wouldn't be long until the Next Summer is the big one bullshit. Fed up of the same shit every transfer window. 

Oh ye of little faith.  You only have the ignore the exact thing being said the last few years on the bounce.

9 minutes ago, Mark M said:

What if Lukaku gets injured after signing for Chelsea? What happens then?

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Totally agree and I don't think anyone is underselling the quality of our players, however you can never stand still in football and as last season proved we need reinforcements but Klopp appears to not be getting backed after everything he has done. 

It is beyond ludicrous to suggest we don't have any money or to take what is coming out of the club and being regurgitated every transfer window as believable.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Totally agree and I don't think anyone is underselling the quality of our players, however you can never stand still in football and as last season proved we need reinforcements but Klopp appears to not be getting backed after everything he has done. 

It is beyond ludicrous to suggest we don't have any money or to take what is coming out of the club and being regurgitated every transfer window as believable.

Firstly, we got reinforcements last year. We just didn't plan for 3 centre back injuries.

Secondly, what is the bold bit based on?

• Upvote 1

Even with the Lukaku purchase they'll still come out having spent an average of about 55 million over the past three years.

The transfer ban and sale of Hazard/a host of players in there loans system has really helped them in terms of STCC. 

It's the same thing we did with VVD/Allison etc.

2 minutes ago, m0e said:

What if Lukaku gets injured after signing for Chelsea? What happens then?

!?! Not sure I follow. So we shouldn’t sign anyone in case they get injured.

it’s certainly an excuse our owners haven’t used yet but maybe they will…

3 minutes ago, Mark M said:

!?! Not sure I follow. So we shouldn’t sign anyone in case they get injured.

it’s certainly an excuse our owners haven’t used yet but maybe they will…

We have 4 top drawer strikers.

If you want to sell one or 2 of them, that's fair enough.

But as it stands, we have 4, all of whom are fit and healthy, all of whom are proven in this team, all of whom are settled, and all of whom are on big salaries.

You seem to want us to buy more players in case they get injuried.

My point was, what stops other teams getting injures?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, m0e said:

We have 4 top drawer strikers.

If you want to sell one or 2 of them, that's fair enough.

But as it stands, we have 4, all of whom are fit and healthy, all of whom are proven in this team, all of whom are settled, and all of whom are on big salaries.

You seem to want us to buy more players in case they get injuried.

My point was, what stops other teams getting injures?

It’s midfield is the priority the way I see it as losing Gini who’s always available - not replacing him and relying on the same players that always pick up injuries - Keita - Ox - Hendo and Milner as well over the last 12 months have got poor records with missing matches through injury.

as for the 4 top drawer strikers.
Based on last seasons performances it’s 2. Salah and Jota have been top class.

Firmino & Mane had poor seasons.
Mane has been incredible since he signed for us im hopeful he’ll be better this season after a decent break this summer. Firmino I think has been declining in his form & output imo over the last couple of years. 

I think Firminho benefits the most from having our defenders back from injury.

There's a reason we prioritise tall quick strong defenders, the ability to play a higher line, condensing the game into a smaller area, plays into our strengths and allows us to press more efficiently.

Doesn't mean he's going to score 20 goals this season but it's going to be easier for him to press and drag defenders out of position to create the spaces for Mane and Salah.

Unless the Ox false nine experiment comes off, which it won't because he'll be injured again soon, we don't really have enough numbers for the front three if Origi and Shaqiri leave. Four players for three spots, two were shit last season, two are going to the ACoN.

Given our turboshit finishing last season I'd want to improve the forward line even if we can't shift Origi or Shaqiri. Midfield is a bit of a worry, but we have the numbers there if nothing else.

1 minute ago, Leyton388 said:

Meanwhile the midfield.

download (1).jpeg

The midfield is fine IMO. We have 7 players for 3 positions; Thiago, Hendo and Fabinho start most games. Milner, Keita, Jones, Ox as rotation options. Perhaps even Elliott too now. We need another attacker.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, aRdja said:

The midfield is fine IMO. We have 7 players for 3 positions; Thiago, Hendo and Fabinho start most games. Milner, Keita, Jones, Ox as rotation options. Perhaps even Elliott too now. We need another attacker.

Well, five minutes into the season those rotation options will be reduced to just Milner and Jones, but it's definitely interesting to see Klopp play Elliott in midfield. Seems like he's more suited there, he's got nowhere near the pace of Mane or Salah so playing on the right of the front three probably isn't for him.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

"Klopp not being backed" is completely subjective. He himself doesn't seem the least bit arsed right now, so...

He doesn’t massively rock the boat ala Rafa I agree. 

But he was begging for a CB in January and has gone on record to say he didn’t want Gini to leave. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mark M said:

It’s midfield is the priority the way I see it as losing Gini who’s always available - not replacing him and relying on the same players that always pick up injuries - Keita - Ox - Hendo and Milner as well over the last 12 months have got poor records with missing matches through injury.

as for the 4 top drawer strikers.
Based on last seasons performances it’s 2. Salah and Jota have been top class.

Firmino & Mane had poor seasons.
Mane has been incredible since he signed for us im hopeful he’ll be better this season after a decent break this summer. Firmino I think has been declining in his form & output imo over the last couple of years. 

So, what would you like to see happen exactly?

Us buy a British midfielder? And who is it that you want?

6 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

He doesn’t massively rock the boat ala Rafa I agree. 

But he was begging for a CB in January and has gone on record to say he didn’t want Gini to leave. 

He got 2 CBs in January. And of course he's going to say he didn't want Gini to leave.

Not sure that shows he's not getting backed.

• Downvote 1

Feels a bit like lots of clubs are waiting until later in the window. We need to shift players to free up space, and many clubs in Europe are feeling the Covid pinch.

Bargains to be had for those who hold their nerve. Wouldn't be surprised to see Shaqiri and/or Origi go on loan. Either way, we're not going to see any incoming until someone goes.