You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

Seems like we are the only ones who don't have a pot to piss in due to Covid. Yet another excuse from the frauds running our club while our rivals and half of the league are out spending us and strengthening yet again  while we stand still and our owners feed on the member berries of us winning the league. 

Really frustrating and they are taking the piss now. 

• Upvote 6

I'm happy with our team, I just want to be happier. 

I really thought Sancho was our future planning, young all the talent in the world, homegrown. That's where I thought we'd go big this summer especially after the shit show of last season and the age of our top players. At some point there is going to be a lot of work that needs doing with this side which seems mad because when youre at your peak it only takes the odd signing to maintain it rather than getting to a place where you need to patch up a side so you split your budget to cover 3 or more positions and get worse players, you dilute your own quality over time... essentially the 90s and early 00s for us. Ferguson didn't build team after team he maintained the quality of his first winning team by evolving it player by player his longevity was like Triggers broom. Mistakes will be made money will be lost because that's the nature of things. We get concerned because we've seen what standing still can do. Yet still this team if it can cope with injuries can get 90 plus points, this season at least.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'm happy with our team, I just want to be happier. 

I really thought Sancho was our future planning, young all the talent in the world, homegrown. That's where I thought we'd go big this summer especially after the shit show of last season and the age of our top players. At some point there is going to be a lot of work that needs doing with this side which seems mad because when youre at your peak it only takes the odd signing to maintain it rather than getting to a place where you need to patch up a side so you split your budget to cover 3 or more positions and get worse players, you dilute your own quality over time... essentially the 90s and early 00s for us. Ferguson didn't build team after team he maintained the quality of his first winning team by evolving it player by player his longevity was like Triggers broom. Mistakes will be made money will be lost because that's the nature of things. We get concerned because we've seen what standing still can do. Yet still this team if it can cope with injuries can get 90 plus points, this season at least.

If not for Covid we probably would have looked at him or players of that ilk.  We sale to buy especially at the top end which would require Mane or Salah leaving at least this summer.  Sancho wanted to go to Utd and they've paid him a fortune in wages in the end we had no chance.

Just now, J-V said:

If not for Covid we probably would have looked at him or players of that ilk.  We sale to buy especially at the top end which would require Mane or Salah leaving at least this summer.  Sancho wanted to go to Utd and they've paid him a fortune in wages in the end we had no chance.

But according to our wage bill, we pay a fortune in wages so should be able to compete on that score.

31 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I do think we'll buy at least one forward who can drop into a AM position.  Dani Olmo would be my wet dream signing, but I would be surprised if we don't add to the area we are now weakest in.  

My main concern with Olmo is that he looks like he should be working in Halfords. 

3 minutes ago, J-V said:

Isn't he on 350k a week.  We don't pay any player that.

Who knows?  They allegedly have several players on a similarly high wage, our wage bill is massive yet not one player is on a wage like that? Doesn't seem to add up.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

Who knows?  They allegedly have several players on a similarly high wage, our wage bill is massive yet not one player is on a wage like that? Doesn't seem to add up.

Highest paid Tea Lady in the League.

32 minutes ago, J-V said:

Isn't he on 350k a week.  We don't pay any player that.

We do once bonuses are taken in to consideration.

All our 'big' players earn around 150/200 basic with performance related clauses for success, so they'll make at least near 300 in successful seasons, otherwise they wouldn't be here.

Plus there's all the sponsor renumeration that's tied in that other clubs don't do the same as us.

We do things differently, on a sliding scale, but we are paying similar, if not the same to our top players.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, J-V said:

The sell to buy stuff doesn't stand up to scrutiny. In Klopps 5 years we have done it once and that was only after finally had enough of Coutinho's shit. We bought Alisson and Virgil with that cash but we were buying VVD the previous summer but for the Blackpool incident.

We will look to balance the books but mainly through under age players, there is no evidence, only speculation that Manè or Salah would be sold to facilitate the next young thing.

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

I do think we'll buy at least one forward who can drop into a AM position.  Dani Olmo would be my wet dream signing, but I would be surprised if we don't add to the area we are now weakest in.  

Yeah i really like Olmo. As money seems short would mind Sabitzer either who refused a new deal and talk is 15ml or so. 

6 minutes ago, No2 said:

The sell to buy stuff doesn't stand up to scrutiny. In Klopps 5 years we have done it once and that was only after finally had enough of Coutinho's shit. We bought Alisson and Virgil with that cash but we were buying VVD the previous summer but for the Blackpool incident.

We will look to balance the books but mainly through under age players, there is no evidence, only speculation that Manè or Salah would be sold to facilitate the next young thing.

Coutinho expected to be sold the same summer we tried to sign VVD, when that fell through Coutinho got his titty lip and was made to wait until January.

44 minutes ago, Moo said:

The reason it doesn't seem to add up is because it doesn't, but not necessarily on our part.

Firstly, where Liverpool's wage bill includes all staff and players for the club, Man City pay a lot of back room staff through the 'City Group' and invoice the club for services provided which is accounted for in other area's of the accounts rather than through the wage bill. Not illegal as far as I'm aware but misleading when you see wage comparisons for clubs.

Secondly, as per the De Spiegel leaks, City appear to pay some bonuses/image rights directly through the city group rather than through the club which is more legally dubious.

14 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

The reason it doesn't seem to add up is because it doesn't, but not necessarily on our part.

Firstly, where Liverpool's wage bill includes all staff and players for the club, Man City pay a lot of back room staff through the 'City Group' and invoice the club for services provided which is accounted for in other area's of the accounts rather than through the wage bill. Not illegal as far as I'm aware but misleading when you see wage comparisons for clubs.

Secondly, as per the De Spiegel leaks, City appear to pay some bonuses/image rights directly through the city group rather than through the club which is more legally dubious.

Okay thanks but the previous post was about Sancho's wage at Utd not City.

This time next year....

James Pearce with the lowdown 

On incomings:

Liverpool currently have the full quota of 17 non-homegrown players in their squad of 25. That’s why further outgoings before there are any more incomings isn’t just about money, it’s also about making space.

There’s an acceptance among the club’s hierarchy that the squad needs to be refreshed - expect that process to really step up a gear in 2022. They can’t allow too many of the players to grow old together.

On Divock Origi:

Back in January Liverpool were after £20 million for Divock Origi but they would take £15 million now.

On Harvey Elliott:

Harvey Elliott will stay put this season. He’s been great in pre-season. Klopp loves versatility in players and that’s why he’s experimented with the 18-year-old in an advanced midfield role.

On Jordan Henderson:

For Jordan Henderson, this isn’t about money but about feeling wanted. He wants Liverpool to see him as still being absolutely integral to the team beyond 2023. Clearly, what’s currently on the table [contract] doesn’t suggest that’s the case.

On Naby Keita:

Jurgen Klopp genuinely still believes in Naby Keita. Keita himself hasn’t shown any interest in wanting to move. He’s happy at Liverpool. He wants to prove himself. [the athletic]

• Upvote 2