You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

4 hours ago, Anubis said:

From the same forum. We’re being replaced.

•  
   3 hours ago,  Mic09 said: 

The sad thing is, one day Jack will regret it.

Not sad for me. This week has been a rollercoaster but somehow I’m at the point where I’m more excited than I have been in 25 years of being a serious Villa fan, and I’m resigned to Jack going. It’s so weird. What a week! Like even more excited than I was when I stayed late on a Friday night at work to see MON arrive and sign at Villa Park, or when we won the League Cup in ‘96. I think outside of MU, MC, Chelsea and Liverpool (who I even think are on a down slope), I think we can be the number 4/5 team within a year or three. 

This is outstanding as well. Way to piss on your "big club" point - that one of the most exciting things you've seen happen is the appointment of a journeyman manager with one League Cup to his name.

I might be an outlier here but I am content with our business . We have lost none of our stars.  Our older players are not out on the razzle and are not in decline . They can be as good as they were two years ago. Also I am chuffed we wont be seeing Mane or Salah playing put their best years for other teams. Only glaring weakness is back up to Trent . 

Integrate Elliot and Jones and apart from my doubts in Neco I am happy enough.

Now i think we are in the shite say two or three years time but for this season it will do. No way we can have the injuries like last season.

12 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

I might be an outlier here but I am content with our business . We have lost none of our stars.  Our older players are not out on the razzle and are not in decline . They can be as good as they were two years ago. Also I am chuffed we wont be seeing Mane or Salah playing put their best years for other teams. Only glaring weakness is back up to Trent . 

Now i think we are in the shite say two or three years time but for this season it will do. No way we can have the injuries like last season.

You don't think with Henderson only managing 20+ PL games a season and Thiago being such a slow healer, that we need to reinforce in midfield?

20 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Thats the kind of winning attitude thats gonna take us to the top.

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont think Hendo is quite the crock, last season's stats which were exceptional, is supposed to be. He normally plays at least 30 PL games and even then, Jurgen didnt play him every game when available.

That's what I thought but looking it up the last 6 years starts are: 20, 26, 21, 25, 24,15

25 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

IMO no chance we will win the league without new blood. Midfield without Gini is too thin and the guys up front ( Salah excepted ) are not as potent as they were.  Add to that question marks over Virg and Gomez getting back to full speed are worrying.  I am very disappointed we haven't bought a midfielder and a striker to replace the hapless Origi. 

I also don't agree we cant have injuries like last season. Older players , high workload and many that have had serious injuries that make them more prone to breaking down again.  I can't imagine Klopp is altogether best pleased that the owners won't spend .

15 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

You don't think with Henderson only managing 20+ PL games a season and Thiago being such a slow healer, that we need to reinforce in midfield?

I could be totally wrong but I see plenty in Jones. I would not be going out to get Maddison or Saul maybe some youngster do the same as what we have done with Elliott.  As you say Thiago important and Fab first two names in midfield . 

1 minute ago, magicrat said:

IMO no chance we will win the league without new blood. Midfield without Gini is too thin and the guys up front ( Salah excepted ) are not as potent as they were.  Add to that question marks over Virg and Gomez getting back to full speed are worrying.  I am very disappointed we haven't bought a midfielder and a striker to replace the hapless Origi. 

I also don't agree we cant have injuries like last season. Older players , high workload and many that have had serious injuries that make them more prone to breaking down again.  I can't imagine Klopp is altogether best pleased that the owners won't spend .

Well for me if all we can afford is the likes of Renato Sanchez I would rather pass this year. 

2 minutes ago, magicrat said:

This is what worries me, while not as injury prone as matip and gomez, hendo et al are up there.  Please don't make the same mistake again.

13 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Definitely agree with that.

Both Milner and Hendo are picking up more injuries now than they used to and are likely to miss a decent few matches - add in Keita who has shown he's absolutely unreliable and we're possible converting another injury prone player Ox to play a more attacking role.

All while our rivals are buying really good quality additions. 

FSG are looking for Klopp to work his magic like he did last season where he bailed them out by getting us top 4 by the skin of our teeth when they didn't back him in January. 

Gini is a huge loss imo.

10 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Definitely agree with that.

Both Milner and Hendo are picking up more injuries now than they used to and are likely to miss a decent few matches - add in Keita who has shown he's absolutely unreliable and we're possible converting another injury prone player Ox to play a more attacking role.

All while our rivals are buying really good quality additions. 

FSG are looking for Klopp to work his magic like he did last season where he bailed them out by getting us top 4 by the skin of our teeth when they didn't back him in January. 

Gini is a huge loss imo.

Its like some people have forgotten we were a once in a lifetime goalkeeping header from being outside of the top 4 last season.

Even in our winning run at the end we weren't particularly fluent and didn't really play that well. Apart from a small spell early last season we've been off the boil since just before the pandemic started.

this team needs an injection as someone mentioned above, it needs galvanising, and you only get that with the addition of competition for places. Thats why we were so good in our pomp, the staff knew how to keep the squad on its toes and what the expectation were year on year.

Our expectations are now in line with business goals and budget.

• Upvote 1

Only have to look at the minutes Wijnaldum clocked up season after season as our most reliable and durable midfielder to know he is a huge loss.

Those minutes being 'shared' by Keita/Milner/Jones will not lead to the consistency, understanding and stability needed.

The first choice of Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago are all far from reliable when it comes to availability week in week out as well.

8 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Its like some people have forgotten we were a once in a lifetime goalkeeping header from being outside of the top 4 last season.

Apart from the fact the way the season finished, we didn’t actually need it. 

The European Champions only scraped into the top 4 as well. 

No doubt, performances weren’t what they were last season but there are reasons for that, which surely even you can understand. Despite this, we were still the best side, points wise, for 66% of last season. 

And nobody is saying we don’t need an injection of quality, let’s see how everything looks come 1st September.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Scott_M said:

Asserting that things would have panned out in our favour had we not put pressure on our top four rivals with that last-minute win is a heck of an assumption.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Asserting that things would have panned out in our favour had we not put pressure on our top four rivals with that last-minute win is a heck of an assumption.

I know it is, but the way results eventually went, we didn’t need it. 

8 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

The European Champions only scraped into the top 4 as well. 

No doubt, performances weren’t what they were last season but there are reasons for that, which surely even you can understand. Despite this, we were still the best side, points wise, for 66% of last season. 

And nobody is saying we don’t need an injection of quality, let’s see how everything looks come 1st September.

The European champions - that in fairness are behaving like a 'big club' they've tried to get Haland - and looks like they will get Lukaku

which will make them stronger under a full season with a better coach seeing as they had half the season with Lampard. 

Before the season ended all the talk was about us getting top 4 and having a 'big summer' and going after Mbappe. (what a joke)

Expectations have been realigned that now theres fans delighted with contract extensions and Konate as being an acceptable summer.

41 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Don't know what Shaq's wages are, but that is a fucking bargain for any team

I agree.

I’d rather Shaq stayed and Minamino & Origi left. Shaq has undeniable quality, he’s shown it throughout his career, including the summer in the Euros.

Origi has only ever showed he can finish and nothing else. Minamino hasn’t even shown that.

I feel a bit sorry for Shaq in a way. He’s talented enough to play for Inter, Bayern and us (all 3 won the CL while he was in the squad) but the only place he’s been a regular starter is Stoke, who were clearly beneath him.

If you look at clubs in the Premiership, it’s hard to even see a club he’d fit into. He obviously has quality, but his style doesn’t fit into anybody. 

I know people criticise his work rate but I’ve never questioned it for us.

His lack of pace (compared to Mane & Salah anyway) has likely held him back from a truly world superstar career. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mark M said:

The European champions - that in fairness are behaving like a 'big club' they've tried to get Haland - and looks like they will get Lukaku

which will make them stronger under a full season with a better coach seeing as they had half the season with Lampard. 

Before the season ended all the talk was about us getting top 4 and having a 'big summer' and going after Mbappe. (what a joke)

Expectations have been realigned that now theres fans delighted with contract extensions and Konate as being an acceptable summer.

I get what you’re saying on Chelsea, they operate on a different transfer level to us. 

I don’t think anybody is saying just signing Konaté is acceptable. I’m getting frustrated by the lack of activity, but we’ve been told it’ll sales first all summer. If we don’t strengthen by the end of the window, I’ll be pissed off as well.

I do think though, that with everybody back, supporters have forgot how good we actually are. As I’ve posted above, points wise, we were the best team in the league for 2/3s of last season. However, I do fully expect (and anticipate) 1 or 2 before September.