manwiththestick

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

Gonna be annoying not signing a couple of attackers because we couldn’t get origi & minamino out first or Ox being the no 9 we’ve been searching for.

We were pathetic as an attacking force last year, especially on that home run & this lead to the defence coming under extra pressure once we’d gave up after 70 minutes and us ending up losing the game.

Let’s not forget that Konate is Lovrens replacement. 

Strengthen the squad you fucking minge bags. The squads got weaker since we won the CL.

• Upvote 5

52 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Dickhead didn’t mind signing a 6 year contract though did he.

Fuck him. 

He’d also have been a dickhead if he ran his contract down and left on a free.  

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Has he ever actually stopped a player moving on though? Modric and Bale went in the end. 

All this charade will do is increase whatever price City will have to pay for him at the end of August, probably up to £130m or something equally ridiculous.

They surely can’t do a cash plus player/s deal either, as what City player in their right mind would sign for Spurs? 

If Kane goes it won’t be on his own or City’s terms, it’ll be on Levy’s.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Anubis said:

and that's how it should be 

3 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

It doesn't seem like any clubs are willing to pay the transfer fee we want and if Lille are skint they aren't going to be able to afford a decent replacement, so this could be a good move for both teams.

But what if they've seen him play in the last couple of years?

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

Gonna be annoying not signing a couple of attackers because we couldn’t get origi & minamino out first or Ox being the no 9 we’ve been searching for.

We were pathetic as an attacking force last year, especially on that home run & this lead to the defence coming under extra pressure once we’d gave up after 70 minutes and us ending up losing the game.

Strengthen the squad you fucking minge bags. The squads got weaker since we won the CL.

It doesn't even have to be strengthened, as such. 

Even freshening it up will do. 

Mainly in the attacking areas. Origi, Shaqiri and, to a slightly lesser extent, Minamino all know that if a decent bid comes in then they'll be allowed to leave. We've got Jota and Elliott who could come in in the front 3 and be motivated to try and force their way into regular first team contention. Jota might even start. Elliott might still be a bit raw. But, then you're down to the first 3 I mentioned. If they need to play a run of games in the XI, there's every chance that they won't be motivated to put in a 100% performance as they know that their goose is cooked, no matter what happens. Even if they play well, they'll be unlikely to seize a place in the starting line up. I'd sooner get rid of these players and not even necessarily bring in players of a noticeably higher level. Just that bit of freshness, eagerness to prove themselves and hope of pushing for a starting position would be better than a lightweight Minamino performance or Origi just about going through the motions. 

I don't necessarily think we have those problems in other areas of the pitch. Wijnaldum missing from the midfield weakens us. But, I'm probably being naive, his absence also provides an opportunity for players who might still have a future at the club and who could push for a regular starting role. The likes of Keita and AOC, if they can get up to full fitness/speed and stay there (remember how good AOC looked before his injury in the CL?) or Curtis Jones, who could benefit from the chance of getting more minutes. For me, these players have a motivation that the attacking back-up options don't. I'd still like a new midfielder, but I think that refreshing the attacking options should be the priority. 

The problem with the forward signing is how much time can you give that player? If Firmino, Salah, Mané and Jota stay relatively fit this season, there's not much time for a new player. So you'd think if we're signing someone, it might have to be someone young enough who you can promise playing time later when one of Firmino, Mané or Salah go. As a successor of sorts before one of those 3 leaves and we're telling him to be more patient in the short term.

4 hours ago, Grinch said:

He’s wasted enough of his career at Spurs tbf.  He was pretty stupid taking Levy’s word that he could leave this year.

His agent is really to blame on that for me. The amount of money they take from players - how he’s advised his client that it was a good idea to sign for 6 years with a gentleman’s agreement for a get out clause is mad. 

47 minutes ago, Anubis said:

That’s true enough, but I think that realistically the only thing he has to play for is the size of the transfer fee, which doesn’t actually matter to City that much anyway. 

2 hours ago, Red74 said:

We were the best team in Europe when we won the CL, now we're in a battle to stay in the top four. 

This is exactly what happens when you stand still.

• Upvote 4

The thing that worries me is that we can’t afford to carry Firmino anymore whilst having back up who won’t get a look in no matter how bad he’s stinking up the pitch. 

Origi just couldn’t be arsed one bit last year as he knew no matter how well he’d play he’d be dropped or given 4 minutes to salvage something from the left wing in the next game.

I’m surprised Ox is still here, as last season it looked like him and Klopp had no time for each other and you could see how much he was fuming with Klopp when sitting on the bench. He was a perma sub for Arsenal and he’s got the same position here. If he starts, it’s nailed on he’s the first to be subbed and that’s no good for anyone if it continues. 

Minamino had a decent game against palace in a 7-0 away win then couldn’t get a look in again and was sent out on loan.

These 3 plus Naby have been here too long now and needed to be manoeuvred out the door when last season ended and replacements brought in.

The players who were effective for us - Gini & Shaq couldn’t have been treated with less respect, yet we’re holding onto the others who offer nothing to us at a cost of over £300k a week. Lallana was another high earner who was bizarrely treated like a hero but fucked us around for 5 years.

Juergen is defo the patron saint of lost causes. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Red74 said:

The thing that worries me is that we can’t afford to carry Firmino anymore whilst having back up who won’t get a look in no matter how bad he’s stinking up the pitch. 

Origi just couldn’t be arsed one bit last year as he knew no matter how well he’d play he’d be dropped or given 4 minutes to salvage something from the left wing in the next game.

I’m surprised Ox is still here, as last season it looked like him and Klopp had no time for each other and you could see how much he was fuming with Klopp when sitting on the bench. He was a perma sub for Arsenal and he’s got the same position here. If he starts, it’s nailed on he’s the first to be subbed and that’s no good for anyone if it continues. 

Minamino had a decent game against palace in a 7-0 away win then couldn’t get a look in again and was sent out on loan.

These 3 plus Naby have been here too long now and needed to be manoeuvred out the door when last season ended and replacements brought in.

The players who were effective for us - Gini & Shaq couldn’t have been treated with less respect, yet we’re holding onto the others who offer nothing to us at a cost of over £300k a week. Lallana was another high earner who was bizarrely treated like a hero but fucked us around for 5 years.

Juergen is defo the patron saint of lost causes. 

Naby, Ox and Minamino are mid 20's so have time on their side. Shaq and Gini are 30, so don't. It's probably pretty much that simple.

Lallana was a nice guy and had no sale value so we kept and let his contract run out.

21 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Naby, Ox and Minamino are mid 20's so have time on their side. Shaq and Gini are 30, so don't. It's probably pretty much that simple.

Lallana was a nice guy and had no sale value so we kept and let his contract run out.

I’d rather have an ageing shaq & gini than the other 4

Minamino is 26 and couldn't handle the physicality of Aston Villas under 18's in that FA cup game, he couldn't even force his way in to Southamptons team whilst on loan with them. He shouldn't be anywhere near our first team next season. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I’d rather have an ageing shaq & gini than the other 4

I agree that Minamino and one of Ox or Keita should go and be replaced but It's a squad age thing. If you keep Gini and Shaq and get rid of the others, you get older and our squad is already getting pretty old.

3 hours ago, Red74 said:

The squads got weaker since we won the CL.

Do you reckon?

We've had coming in:

Adrian

Minamino

Tsimikas

Konate

Jota

Thiago

Out:

Mignolet

Moreno

Lovren

Ings 

Lallana

Wijnaldum

I've probably forgotten a couple there.  Then obviously Curtis has made the step up from the youth team.

Probably even stevens for me, especially as Danny Ings was basically injured for all his time here.  Should just have kept him instead of Origi with hindsight.

1 hour ago, Mark M said:

His agent is really to blame on that for me. The amount of money they take from players - how he’s advised his client that it was a good idea to sign for 6 years with a gentleman’s agreement for a get out clause is mad. 

Just discovered that Kane's agent is his brother, which explains a lot!

• Upvote 1

This myth that Levy is some master negotiater always makes me laugh. It'll be perpetuated all summer. Then Kane will leave with a week of the window to go, leaving spurs no time to get the players they want so they have to overpay for a load of absolute shit on deadline day. 

7 hours ago, Grinch said:

He’s wasted enough of his career at Spurs tbf.  He was pretty stupid taking Levy’s word that he could leave this year.

Gentlemans agreement and Daniel Levy don't exist in the same universe

4 hours ago, Grinch said:

He’d also have been a dickhead if he ran his contract down and left on a free.  

Brains and Sir Harold of Kane don't exist in the same universe either

Levy is an absolute mug. He's been bent over and embarrassed for years on years now. Massive over-spend on stadium; woeful yield from a generationally-talented squad by Spurs standard (no trophies); Kane leaving will be the latest and likely greatest setback. Ironically I do rate Nuno and, like Rafa of yester-year, wouldn't be surprised if he got a decent song out of them. The fall they've had over the past 3 seasons though has been calamitous. Look at the kind of talent they've lost at minimal income with no adequate replacements (Alderweireld; Vertonghen; Moussa Dembele; Eriksson etc.): a squad absolutely going nowhere. Pochettino was the most successful manager they've had in living memory (weird as it sounds with 0 trophies) - they dropped him by the wayside to bring in Mourinho with all that entails.

Spurs are buying up players before Kane leaves, likely with the money they’ll get when he does leave.

There have been 3 mentioned in the last few days and it looks as though Coady may go there as well.

It’ll likely work out they’ll  have one leave, and four come in for the same money or just a bit more with the one leaving for big money a known fitness risk.

Good business?

What are we doing, apart from watching from the sidelines, and buying (in this case Konate) someone who should have been here last summer when Lovren went?

3 hours ago, coachpotato said:

Spurs are buying up players before Kane leaves, likely with the money they’ll get when he does leave.

There have been 3 mentioned in the last few days and it looks as though Coady may go there as well.

It’ll likely work out they’ll  have one leave, and four come in for the same money or just a bit more with the one leaving for big money a known fitness risk.

Good business?

What are we doing, apart from watching from the sidelines, and buying (in this case Konate) someone who should have been here last summer when Lovren went?

Didn't Spurs do the same when they got Bale? And Coady is gonna help them achieve things they haven't so far?

Who have Chelsea or City bought yet, anyway? 

5 hours ago, sh#t waffle said:

This myth that Levy is some master negotiater always makes me laugh. It'll be perpetuated all summer. Then Kane will leave with a week of the window to go, leaving spurs no time to get the players they want so they have to overpay for a load of absolute shit on deadline day. 

It’s not about him being a master negotiator. It’s about him being a complete stubborn  twat.

• Upvote 1