manwiththestick

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

Utd and Chelsea will improve on last year points totals

Chelsea will have the whole season under a actual manager and Utd likely won't concede as many with Varane back there aswell. Obviously fully fit we improve but expecting 90pts is alot, its take a monumental effort to get to that figure and will require Firmino to start finding goals and form and the midfield to stay fit if nothing else. Its obviously possible but again your asking the same small core of players to run through brickwalls after many have been playing this summer again or on their way baack from long term injuries.

Firmino is starting to become a massive worry in front of goal, he looked absoloutley shite for Brazil(but Brazil did in general imho) at the Copa America. Mane form will need to pick up aswell if we are to get near 90pts

7 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Utd and Chelsea will improve on last year points totals

Chelsea will have the whole season under a actual manager and Utd likely won't concede as many with Varane back there aswell. Obviously fully fit we improve but expecting 90pts is alot, its take a monumental effort to get to that figure and will require Firmino to start finding goals and form and the midfield to stay fit if nothing else. Its obviously possible but again your asking the same small core of players to run through brickwalls after many have been playing this summer again or on their way baack from long term injuries.

Firmino is starting to become a massive worry in front of goal, he looked absoloutley shite for Brazil(but Brazil did in general imho) at the Copa America. Mane form will need to pick up aswell if we are to get near 90pts

Unless penalty keeps his form, I think Utd will be about the same as last year. Chelsea will be about the same I reckon.

I don't think we've ever really relied on Bobby for his goals, so I don't see the same issue there as others. In our system, the onus will be on the wide forwards to be more clinical. I think both Mane and Salah will have benefitted from their extended break, and Jota should be fresh as well.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

We're never going anywhere near him at that price, but imagine how happy it would make @aRdja if we got him.

He’s a pretty good player, but wouldn’t be my first choice. He’s a giant but doesn’t seem to be very good in the air. 

6 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Sitting still for 2 years will bite us in the backside if we don't do something soon. 

Gutted we sat still last Summer. It was the perfect time to sign back-up for Robbo, a world class midfielder and a forward who could slot straight into our front three.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I had him in the FM21 draft and he was shite. 

Ocampos is the man. 

Regards,

2xLeague Winner and a CL finalist

4 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

My main reservation about Saul.

11 hours ago, lebron said:

I'm going to make a controversial statement in the transfer thread....

I'm happy with what we have.

I also think we'll be City's main competitior for the league, and we'll go deep in the CL.

Reasons for this?

1. We've got the best (or 2nd best) manager in the league, definitely the best at working without an unlimited budget.

2. We still have the best starting eleven in the league when everyone is fit.

3. The crowds will be back.

4. The ONE area of the field that completely decimated us last year has been repaired and strengthened.

5. Our players and leaders on the field (as well as the manager) will be hungry as fuck to set the record straight.

Also, apart from City, who has better depth than us? Assuming Shaq is leaving, I guess this would be our two best line-ups. I personally prefer Gomez to Matip because of his pace, but as he's been out so long, he'll probably have to wait for his chance.

---------------------Allison----------------------

Trent-------Matip--------Vvd----------Robbo

------------------Fabinho-----------------------

----Henderson-----------Thiago--------------

Salah--------------Firmino-------------Mane

--------------------Kelleher---------------------

Williams-----Gomez----Konate----Tsimikas

--------------------Milner-----------------------

----------Jones------------Keita---------------

----Elliott---------Ox/Origi----------Jota------

I'm comfortable with all the players not in bold playing 10+ league games for us. Ideally we would have kept Gini and sold one of Ox/Keita, as that would have given us fewer days on the treatment table, but all these players know the system well by now, and should be able to contribute when given the chance. 

Nothing to worry about then? Well, I hope that whinging supporters on social media and in the stadium don't take us back to the days when Klopp had to will the supporters to SUPPORT the players from the stands. Hopefully the days of groans and sighs will be replaced with enthusiasm and a belief that Anfield is still a fortress and our players, manager and supporters are "back to normal".

On the field, the usual suspects in black (or whatever colour they are wearing these days) completely fudging up the rules of the game is the only other thing that really worries me.

Let's get behind the boys, and hope for a fast start to our league and CL campaign to get the doubters back on the believe train again!

I was dead against this post until you wrote 'support' in capitals, now I am fully onboard. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Watched him for France in the Euros because I thought we maybe should have gone for him before Konate. Didnt impress and he looked a bit lost at times.

12 hours ago, lebron said:

I'm going to make a controversial statement in the transfer thread....

I'm happy with what we have.

I also think we'll be City's main competitior for the league, and we'll go deep in the CL.

Reasons for this?

1. We've got the best (or 2nd best) manager in the league, definitely the best at working without an unlimited budget.

2. We still have the best starting eleven in the league when everyone is fit.

3. The crowds will be back.

4. The ONE area of the field that completely decimated us last year has been repaired and strengthened.

5. Our players and leaders on the field (as well as the manager) will be hungry as fuck to set the record straight.

Also, apart from City, who has better depth than us? Assuming Shaq is leaving, I guess this would be our two best line-ups. I personally prefer Gomez to Matip because of his pace, but as he's been out so long, he'll probably have to wait for his chance.

---------------------Allison----------------------

Trent-------Matip--------Vvd----------Robbo

------------------Fabinho-----------------------

----Henderson-----------Thiago--------------

Salah--------------Firmino-------------Mane

--------------------Kelleher---------------------

Williams-----Gomez----Konate----Tsimikas

--------------------Milner-----------------------

----------Jones------------Keita---------------

----Elliott---------Ox/Origi----------Jota------

I'm comfortable with all the players not in bold playing 10+ league games for us. Ideally we would have kept Gini and sold one of Ox/Keita, as that would have given us fewer days on the treatment table, but all these players know the system well by now, and should be able to contribute when given the chance. 

Nothing to worry about then? Well, I hope that whinging supporters on social media and in the stadium don't take us back to the days when Klopp had to will the supporters to SUPPORT the players from the stands. Hopefully the days of groans and sighs will be replaced with enthusiasm and a belief that Anfield is still a fortress and our players, manager and supporters are "back to normal".

On the field, the usual suspects in black (or whatever colour they are wearing these days) completely fudging up the rules of the game is the only other thing that really worries me.

Let's get behind the boys, and hope for a fast start to our league and CL campaign to get the doubters back on the believe train again!

Konate will be a starter. All looks good on paper except a lot of them spend a lot of time on physios couches as you know rather than on the pitch. Hope you’re right obviously, for me we need two more additions.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the number of midfielders. If one comes in (Niguez?) that means we will have 8 in total. Hendo, Fabinho, Thiago, Milner, Jones, Ox, Keita and X. 7 of them on big wages. Surely Ox or Keita would be off?

Now I know Ox has been playing in the front 3. So if we bring a forward in you have Firmino, Mane, Salah, Jota, X, Minamino, Ox, Elliott *. So again it seems high on numbers. Perhaps Minamino would be off? I certainly think him, Ox and Keita aren't all likely to stay.

*Assuming Shaq and Origi are out the door.

4 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the number of midfielders. If one comes in (Niguez?) that means we will have 8 in total. Hendo, Fabinho, Thiago, Milner, Jones, Ox, Keita and X. 7 of them on big wages. Surely Ox or Keita would be off?

Ox and Keita should be sold off purely due to the fact its only a matter of time before their both out injured and not available for selection.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mark M said:

Ox and Keita should be sold off purely due to the fact its only a matter of time before their both out injured and not available for selection.

Ox stays because of the homegrown, also why he was bought probably. They thought they could fix a broken horse. They haven't been able too so far, he'll end up doing a Sturridge and sit out the remainder of the contract.

2 hours ago, Mark M said:

They are both useless and contribute nothing all season whilst on massive wages. 

They get everyone's hopes up pre season, get injured then take a while to get back into a rhythm after injury then just get injured again.

Problem is no one is stupid enough to take them off us. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Johnlj said:

Ox stays because of the homegrown, also why he was bought probably. They thought they could fix a broken horse. They haven't been able too so far, he'll end up doing a Sturridge and sit out the remainder of the contract.

I think the Sturridge example is good it also reminds me of Agger both really talented players but both players struggled to play at the top level when they were asked to play a couple of games a week they would keep breaking down.

I think Agger mentioned when he retired his body wasn't able to handle the demands.

Its looking like a similar situation with Ox and Keita - its irrelevant to me how talented they potentially are if they can't play. 

Theres nothing surer than Keita starting the season for us looking great his fanboys wetting themselves over a turn or great pass he makes.

He'll go off with a 'minor injury' after a couple of matches and we might see him again in November.

Nah, you rubes are missing the bigger picture with Naby. He’ll start the season great, carry it on, stay injury free, get a new contract then fuck off to Africa in January, get injured and never play for us again. Rubes.

16 hours ago, lebron said:

I don't think it'll be that competitive....

Us and City will pass the 90 pt mark. The others will languish 12-15 pts behind.

I'm not a spread better, but I saw the odds the other day. I can't remember exactly what the spread is, but if we do get 90+ points, we'll beat it by some distance. I can imagine a few fans having a bit of that.

2 hours ago, Mark M said:

I think the Sturridge example is good it also reminds me of Agger both really talented players but both players struggled to play at the top level when they were asked to play a couple of games a week they would keep breaking down.

I think Agger mentioned when he retired his body wasn't able to handle the demands.

Its looking like a similar situation with Ox and Keita - its irrelevant to me how talented they potentially are if they can't play. 

Theres nothing surer than Keita starting the season for us looking great his fanboys wetting themselves over a turn or great pass he makes.

He'll go off with a 'minor injury' after a couple of matches and we might see him again in November.

Has Keita got fanboys? 

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Better sign Saul. I want this guy bad I don't even know who he is.

More chance of signing Gustavo Fring.

19 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Has Keita got fanboys? 

Including the official twitter, yes. I don't think it does him any favours, practically turning him into a meme.

3 hours ago, Mark M said:

That's been the biggest problem with him, compounded by always swanning off to play for a national team that is run by idiots only to come back broken.