manwiththestick

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

2 hours ago, therevivalist said:

I think we'll be alright as long as Ole is in charge.

Throw enough money and penalties at them and he might do alright. Thing is they want the league and CL, the latter will rely on some modicum of tactical nous the former consistency and the need for city and Chelsea to fuck up. We are more likely to fail to challenge though due to our seemingly lack of quality past the first 15 or so.

14 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

So our summer business essentially boils down to allowing our most reliable midfielder to leave on a free, flogging a bunch of fringe players, and signing a defender to displace a fan favourite.

I get that there's still plenty of time to sign someone but too many bits of news all saying we won't be signing anyone is a bit worrying.

Can only hope Edwards is playing a great double bluff.

21 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Liverpool's academy can make the club millions...

To be fair that’s pretty fucking good. Not quite Chelsea level good, but not so long ago our best prospects used to always end up at Accrington Stanley. 

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

To be fair that’s pretty fucking good. Not quite Chelsea level good, but not so long ago our best prospects used to always end up at Accrington Stanley. 

I agree. I don’t know why there are some snipey posts. 

Not everybody is going to be Gerrard, Owen, McManaman, Trent etc but if we can make good money off those we deem not good enough, surely that’s a positive? 

It’s a far preferable position to what we had under latter day Houllier, Benitez & Rodgers where the players were clearly not good enough and we made fuck all on them. 

If love a couple of more young lads to breakthrough in addition to Trent and Jones. Elliot and Bradley seem to be the next up so hopefully they can nail a spot in the squad.

• Upvote 1

Saw this on Reddit and they’ve overlaid the actually spend in the second pic. Obvs city’s revenue is a bit of a joke but there are more than a few clubs who would be screwed. Just look at our neighbours.. I fear for them I really do.

34124BB5-607B-4579-9B04-BA79C5676E03.jpeg

D641C2DD-49A2-4E37-B6FD-2EFAEEA5AA37.jpeg

17 minutes ago, aRdja said:

It is. At least if they don't make it we can generate some money.

1 hour ago, JagSquared said:

Saw this on Reddit and they’ve overlaid the actually spend in the second pic. Obvs city’s revenue is a bit of a joke but there are more than a few clubs who would be screwed. Just look at our neighbours.. I fear for them I really do.

34124BB5-607B-4579-9B04-BA79C5676E03.jpeg

D641C2DD-49A2-4E37-B6FD-2EFAEEA5AA37.jpeg

They are really badly run.

Wages as a % of turnover is about 85% and highest in league.

Their revenue simply isn't growing even before covid and they overpay for shite.

They could be in real trouble if keep going way are.

Shaq is a quality player, can understand why he would want to leave. Klopp uses him far too sparingly. But letting him go for 10-12 million seems mad, it weakens us further. 

He scored 3 goals at the Euros and for someone who doesn’t “suit our style” he always seems to make a telling contribution when he’s on the pitch.

• Upvote 1

Shaqiri is on about 80 to 90k a week, so we probably want to get him off the wage bill.  His wages may be a problem for some of the clubs interested in him, so a lower transfer fee will probably help solve that issue? 

I'd honestly rather we were willing to listen to lower offers, as it means we may have an incoming transfer lined up. It's when we stick to £20m for Origi type valuations that you know nothing is happening.

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

Shaqiri is on about 80 to 90k a week, so we probably want to get him off the wage bill.  His wages may be a problem for some of the clubs interested in him, so a lower transfer fee will probably help solve that issue? 

I think you are overlooking the obvious answer - We need to free up a foreign player place for Mbappe.

• Upvote 1

Just now, LFC 6 Times said:

Shaq is a quality player, can understand why he would want to leave. Klopp uses him far too sparingly. But letting him go for 10-12 million seems mad, it weakens us further. 

He scored 3 goals at the Euros and for someone who doesn’t “suit our style” he always seems to make a telling contribution when he’s on the pitch.

This. His strengths are quite clear, as probably are his weaker sides. Well known as a quality player across Europe, and should be an attractive target for a number of clubs. If not it’s probably due to salary levels.

3 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Apparently Harvey Elliott is set to take his place in the squad.