You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

28 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

We could really do with some transfers involving players we have sell on clauses with - Luis Alberto, Ryan Kent, Danny Ward, Danny Ings. I've given up on us getting the final £17m for Coutinho.

We've already got it. Barcelona sold the debt to a finance company who paid us the remainder of the money. 

55 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Matip was free, Robbo cost peanuts. Gini was a bargain by the standards of the last 6 years. Thiago we got at a knockdown price as his contract was nearly up. In fact the only two on that list I would describe as massive signings (at the time of signing, not in terms of what they went on to achieve) are Virgil and Alisson.

So to answer your question, no. 

Come on man, that is ridiculous. It’s about getting a good player, not just how much you spend.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, General Dryness said:

Matip was free, Robbo cost peanuts. Gini was a bargain by the standards of the last 6 years. Thiago we got at a knockdown price as his contract was nearly up. In fact the only two on that list I would describe as massive signings (at the time of signing, not in terms of what they went on to achieve) are Virgil and Alisson.

So to answer your question, no. 

Surely it's about making the right signings, rather than the 'massive signings' or the 'marquee signings'?

Looking at that list there's a good few signings (Gini, Mane, Salah, Robertson, Fabinho etc) that we didn't pay massive amounts for and that weren't lauded as the best in Europe at the time (I remember the disappointment from some on here and the laughs from rival fans when those deals were done) - but only a fool would still say that they weren't the right signings. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

So if we’d have spent more, we’d have ended up with better players?

And this is the crux of the argument where all those complaining fall down. 

We can all go on about spending more money and blah blah blah and we’d all have a point if we didn’t have a successful team.

But we do. 

So everything else is just white noise and complaining for complaining sake.

Unfortunately, nothing will ever be perfect and ran 100% satisfactory to 100% of the fan bases opinions. But what we have at the moment is the best it’s been in decade and should be revered, not picking holes in it. 

Anyways, I look forward to some more ninja like negs from you. 

Scott, I think you are making things up, people aren't saying we have to sign the best most expensive players, we just want the club to bolster the holes in the squad with the right players, people will always be sceptical when we pay low fees for players but after signings like Robbo they get a little more leeway. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

Scott, I think you are making things up, people aren't saying we have to sign the best most expensive players, we just want the club to bolster the holes in the squad with the right players, people will always be sceptical when we pay low fees for players but after signings like Robbo they get a little more leeway. 

That post I replied to directly infers that! 

Two other posters have made the same point. It’s a dogshit post. 

“Only Alisson & VVD” are major signings.”

How would classify the rest?

I do appreciate my default setting of cynical sarcasm might not translate, Jose Jones probably articulates my point better.

As for wanting holes in the squad plugged, I 100% agree. I want another midfielder, attacker & probably a right back as well. However, there is 5/6 weeks of the window left, so there is plenty time.

8 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Yeah it was even better because United had been strongly linked with him for months and then we came in seemingly from nowhere, and they got Fred!

There was definitely some mix up and they were looking for an upgrade for their mascot.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

We've already got it. Barcelona sold the debt to a finance company who paid us the remainder of the money. 

Shitness of modern football thread is about to get bumped.

Imagine knowing any part of that sentence, the first time you watched Kenny score and run away in pure ecstasy and delight.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Shitness of modern football thread is about to get bumped.

Imagine knowing any part of that sentence, the first time you watched Kenny score and run away in pure ecstasy and delight.

That's why we are still paying add-ons to Celtic .

7 minutes ago, sir roger said:

That's why we are still paying add-ons to Celtic .

Jock Stein patiently explaining to the 65k paying fans and the other 15k who bunked in the concept of amortisation, and why it's actually great that Jinki Johnstone has been fucked off.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

So if we’d have spent more, we’d have ended up with better players?

And this is the crux of the argument where all those complaining fall down. 

We can all go on about spending more money and blah blah blah and we’d all have a point if we didn’t have a successful team.

But we do. 

So everything else is just white noise and complaining for complaining sake.

Unfortunately, nothing will ever be perfect and ran 100% satisfactory to 100% of the fan bases opinions. But what we have at the moment is the best it’s been in decade and should be revered, not picking holes in it. 

Anyways, I look forward to some more ninja like negs from you. 

If people want to complain, that's their choice and it's not for you to tell them otherwise.

You get negged when you make cunty posts telling people what they should think. You also get negged because you like Metallica and you have a Metallica tattoo, which makes you a bellend as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

If people want to complain, that's their choice and it's not for you to tell them otherwise.

You get negged when you make cunty posts telling people what they should think. You also get negged because you like Metallica and you have a Metallica tattoo, which makes you a bellend as far as I'm concerned.

2 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

"Negged for being a cock".

I’m telling people how to think? Getting posters to actually think would be a good start. 

And what are the reams & reams of bike posters like you make?

This forum is like that stuff in the Parliament this week with Dawn Butler. Youse lot just make shit up to suit your own agenda but when I pull you up on it, I’m the one penalised! 

Commenting on my musical tastes and choices in tattoo is incredibly pathetic and as you can likely tell, your opinion means very little to me. 

At least you’ve said what you obviously needed to say now instead of being a snidey neg voyeur. 

• Downvote 2

Just now, Scott_M said:

I’m telling people how to think? Getting posters to actually think would be a good start. 

And what are the reams & reams of bike posters like you make?

This forum is like that stuff in the Parliament this week with Dawn Butler. Youse lot just make shit up to suit your own agenda but when I pull you up on it, I’m the one penalised! 

Commenting on my musical tastes and choices in tattoo is incredibly pathetic and as you can likely tell, your opinion means very little to me. 

At least you’ve said what you obviously needed to say now instead of being a snidey neg voyeur. 

Cock.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I'd sell Salah, from a sell to buy perspective, but also from a freshness perspective.  There's no doubt that Salah today is inferior to first season Salah.  A lot of that will be down to him being less motivated.  That's just natural though, and I wish sometimes we'd factor that into these things.  

The natural flow of things is important, players want new challenges. 

The only problem is a buying club offering the sort of money that tempts us, and with Mbappe still on the market it's not an ideal situation, as his suitors would be Salah's suitors.  

tenor (11) (25).gif