manwiththestick

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

The wage bill will obviously be huge if we don't sell or loan people out. We have too many players! Probably another 6-7 to sell (Grujic and Awoniyi is a good start) and a midfielder and forward to sign.

Given we already have Salah Mane Firmino and Jota up front I'd be quite happy taking a punt on a young forward who Klopp can develop.

The Bowen shout is the exact same as the McGinn one from earlier; there's no way we sign him and I don't think he's even available. Contract till 2025. I don't know who is telling Pearce this stuff and why it's coming out, but it's nonsense once again. 

13 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’m fairly sure he rarely completes 90mins as well. 

I wouldn't read anything into that, rigid managers like Moyes will never change their back 4 or 2 sitters. That leaves 3 replacements from the 4 attackers on the pitch. Go right back through Moyes career and it will be wingers being his first sub 95% of the time.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The Bowen shout is the exact same as the McGinn one from earlier; there's no way we sign him and I don't think he's even available. Contract till 2025. I don't know who is telling Pearce this stuff and why it's coming out, but it's nonsense once again. 

It's the transfer equivalent of Operation Mincemeat, and Pearce is the body on the beach.

20 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I'm getting concerned we haven't replaced Wijnaldum's 3000+ minutes yet. 

Those minutes will get shared between ox/keita/jones/shaq/milner/Thiago.  We have the numbers.

5 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Konate takes Gini's non-homegrown spot.  Is that what you mean?

No. I meant pinka-pinka. Dosh. Mullah.  

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I had an open mind about Bowen. "Maybe Michael Edwards has seen something I haven't," I thought.

Then I watched this video, which seems to have been put together by someone who hates Jarrod Bowen and wants to make him look as terrible as possible, while pretending that the video features his "highlights." Got as far at 2 or 3 minutes in, it's mostly just him being fouled or putting in a hopeful cross. Yikes.

So another Jack Grealish?

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I had an open mind about Bowen. "Maybe Michael Edwards has seen something I haven't," I thought.

Then I watched this video, which seems to have been put together by someone who hates Jarrod Bowen and wants to make him look as terrible as possible, while pretending that the video features his "highlights." Got as far at 2 or 3 minutes in, it's mostly just him being fouled or putting in a hopeful cross. Yikes.

That reminds me of watching a youtube compilation of Downing when he signed for us. I was on RAWK at the time and all the posts were super positive and what a signing etc etc.

Turns out he was even worse than my low expectations were.

If we are selling at least one of Phillips or Davies, then we can only replace them with another homegrown player, so I sort of understand the interest in Bowen.

He looked very good in the championship and has done ok in the Premier League for West Ham. I'm guessing that we have seen something in his stats that suggest he would do well for us?

18 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

If we are selling at least one of Phillips or Davies, then we can only replace them with another homegrown player, so I sort of understand the interest in Bowen.

He looked very good in the championship and has done ok in the Premier League for West Ham. I'm guessing that we have seen something in his stats that suggest he would do well for us?

8 goals and 5 assists in the Premier League last season, hard working/versatile forward, and is 24.

The profile makes sense and is somewhat similar to what we usually look for, but it's just a weird shout when you consider contract length, that West Ham are in Europe and the fact he looks serviceable, but not really a potential top player.

25 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

If we ignore Karius I count 17 non-homegrown players at the moment. That includes Keita, Origi, Shaqiri and Minamino. A couple of them are surely dispensible if we sign a forward. I don't see any need to focus on signing homegrown players. The fact we gave Adrian an extension suggests this.

6 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

Championship player.

Exactly. We’re already preparing for 2022/23. Have to admire our forward planning. 

Well so far it's all a bit meh! Konate in but we don't know he's going to hold up fitness wise! Some of the dross out with more to go, but it looks like we're going to have a even thinner squad (numbers wise more than quality wise) than we did last season, when the squad just wasn't up to it fitness wise!

It all smells of FSG being quite happy with us being in the mix for top 4, but with a squad so thin I'd have concerns!

I'll stand corrected if we sign some quality!

• Upvote 1