Jump to content
manwiththestick

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

Recommended Posts

The wage bill will obviously be huge if we don't sell or loan people out. We have too many players! Probably another 6-7 to sell (Grujic and Awoniyi is a good start) and a midfielder and forward to sign.

 

Given we already have Salah Mane Firmino and Jota up front I'd be quite happy taking a punt on a young forward who Klopp can develop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bowen shout is the exact same as the McGinn one from earlier; there's no way we sign him and I don't think he's even available. Contract till 2025. I don't know who is telling Pearce this stuff and why it's coming out, but it's nonsense once again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’m fairly sure he rarely completes 90mins as well. 

I wouldn't read anything into that, rigid managers like Moyes will never change their back 4 or 2 sitters. That leaves 3 replacements from the 4 attackers on the pitch. Go right back through Moyes career and it will be wingers being his first sub 95% of the time.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The Bowen shout is the exact same as the McGinn one from earlier; there's no way we sign him and I don't think he's even available. Contract till 2025. I don't know who is telling Pearce this stuff and why it's coming out, but it's nonsense once again. 

It's the transfer equivalent of Operation Mincemeat, and Pearce is the body on the beach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

20 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I'm getting concerned we haven't replaced Wijnaldum's 3000+ minutes yet. 

Those minutes will get shared between ox/keita/jones/shaq/milner/Thiago.  We have the numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Konate takes Gini's non-homegrown spot.  Is that what you mean?

No. I meant pinka-pinka. Dosh. Mullah.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I had an open mind about Bowen. "Maybe Michael Edwards has seen something I haven't," I thought.

 

Then I watched this video, which seems to have been put together by someone who hates Jarrod Bowen and wants to make him look as terrible as possible, while pretending that the video features his "highlights." Got as far at 2 or 3 minutes in, it's mostly just him being fouled or putting in a hopeful cross. Yikes.
 

 

So another Jack Grealish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I had an open mind about Bowen. "Maybe Michael Edwards has seen something I haven't," I thought.

 

Then I watched this video, which seems to have been put together by someone who hates Jarrod Bowen and wants to make him look as terrible as possible, while pretending that the video features his "highlights." Got as far at 2 or 3 minutes in, it's mostly just him being fouled or putting in a hopeful cross. Yikes.
 

 

That reminds me of watching a youtube compilation of Downing when he signed for us. I was on RAWK at the time and all the posts were super positive and what a signing etc etc.

Turns out he was even worse than my low expectations were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we are selling at least one of Phillips or Davies, then we can only replace them with another homegrown player, so I sort of understand the interest in Bowen.

 

He looked very good in the championship and has done ok in the Premier League for West Ham. I'm guessing that we have seen something in his stats that suggest he would do well for us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

If we are selling at least one of Phillips or Davies, then we can only replace them with another homegrown player, so I sort of understand the interest in Bowen.

 

He looked very good in the championship and has done ok in the Premier League for West Ham. I'm guessing that we have seen something in his stats that suggest he would do well for us?

8 goals and 5 assists in the Premier League last season, hard working/versatile forward, and is 24.

 

The profile makes sense and is somewhat similar to what we usually look for, but it's just a weird shout when you consider contract length, that West Ham are in Europe and the fact he looks serviceable, but not really a potential top player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

If we are selling at least one of Phillips or Davies, then we can only replace them with another homegrown player, so I sort of understand the interest in Bowen.

 

He looked very good in the championship and has done ok in the Premier League for West Ham. I'm guessing that we have seen something in his stats that suggest he would do well for us?

 

If we ignore Karius I count 17 non-homegrown players at the moment. That includes Keita, Origi, Shaqiri and Minamino. A couple of them are surely dispensible if we sign a forward. I don't see any need to focus on signing homegrown players. The fact we gave Adrian an extension suggests this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

Championship player.

Exactly. We’re already preparing for 2022/23. Have to admire our forward planning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well so far it's all a bit meh! Konate in but we don't know he's going to hold up fitness wise! Some of the dross out with more to go, but it looks like we're going to have a even thinner squad (numbers wise more than quality wise) than we did last season, when the squad just wasn't up to it fitness wise!

 

It all smells of FSG being quite happy with us being in the mix for top 4, but with a squad so thin I'd have concerns!

 

I'll stand corrected if we sign some quality!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×