manwiththestick

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

2 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Smart move. If we pay him based on appearances he'll be able to claim universal credit.

He'd get his payments stopped for not being available for work often enough.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Horus said:

I don't think anyone doubts he's a talented footballer, I think the issue is that he could be as talented as Maradona, but if he's made of crisps then what's the point? We don't have a city-esque squad filled with luxuries and I think the biggest issue is the fact that selling him would result in about a 50% loss on his fee.

I don’t think that matters that much. We let Gini and Can fo for nothing. I don’t think Klopp has given up on Naby yet. I personally think he’ll have a good season. There’s very little pressure on him to perform next season. Thiago is the ‘star’ player, and Curtis Jones is the next big thing. He probably won’t start if everyone’s fit. However as fourth or fifth choice midfielder, is there anyone better in the league? We should really focus our energy on trying to bring in a striker. Our midfield is in a good spot IMO.

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I don’t think that matters that much. We let Gini and Can fo for nothing. I don’t think Klopp has given up on Naby yet. I personally think he’ll have a good season. There’s very little pressure on him to perform next season. Thiago is the ‘star’ player, and Curtis Jones is the next big thing. He probably won’t start if everyone’s fit. However as fourth or fifth choice midfielder, is there anyone better in the league? We should really focus our energy on trying to bring in a striker. Our midfield is in a good spot IMO.

I was his biggest fan, we aren’t City 5th choice at what he cost?

For a 4th or 5th choice midfielder earning £150k a week I reckon I could find better midfielders in the Scottish league never mind the prem.

1 minute ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I was his biggest fan, we aren’t City 5th choice at what he cost?

I haven’t quite made up my mind yet as he’s hardly played for us. We’ve paid the money, and he’s here, may as well give him a go. 

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I haven’t quite made up my mind yet as he’s hardly played for us. We’ve paid the money, and he’s here, may as well give him a go. 

I get what you’re saying but he has shown very little so far, looks nothing like the player in Germany. I think it is more down to what we would lose money wise than playing wise.

If you look at our squad below.

CF: Firmino, Origi

Winger: Salah, Mane, Jota, Elliott

CM: Thiago, Hendo, Fabinho, Keita, Ox, Milner, Jones

RB: Trent, N. Williams

LB: Robbo, Tsimikas

CH: Virgil, Gomez, Konate, Matip, Phillips

GK: Alisson, Kelleher, Adrian

The obvious weak areas are:

CF - Origi is just never going to be good enough consistently enough for us to be able to rely on him. Bobby hasn’t been the same since the injury he suffered pre CL final. 

RB - Trent is the best RB in the world but he needs resting from time to time. Neco Williams at this point in time isn’t nearly ready and he needs game time to develop his game and we won’t give him that for obvious reasons. 

CM is so far from a priority at the moment IMO.

12 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I disagree that he won't be under pressure. We've all seen him be a good player when fit, and now there is no gini to fall back on. If we don't actually bring a first team midfielder in (and it looks like we probably will), he will be under the most pressure.

1 minute ago, Horus said:

I disagree that he won't be under pressure. We've all seen him be a good player when fit, and now there is no gini to fall back on. If we don't actually bring a first team midfielder in (and it looks like we probably will), he will be under the most pressure.

Fabinho, Hendo and Thiago will start when fit. Its unlikely that will change IMO. It’s a completely different scenario to when we brought him in as our star signing summer of 2018. 

I wonder what the club's valuation of Naby is? If I had to guess I'd say somewhere around £35m. I suspect that any contract extension would be to protect his market value. Obviously from a footballing perspective, his move to us has been a disappointment so far, but Klopp loves him, so I can't help but feel that this coming season is a pivotal season for Naby from both a playing and financial perspective. 

Transfermarkt has his current market value set at £28.80 million, which based on other transfers can't be too far off what the club value him at. I of course expect the club to value him a little higher than that, possibly up to around £35m, as they'll want to maximise any return for him should he be sold at any stage. Extending the contract beyond the current terms would prevent his market value from dropping so quickly. 

Based on his performances since signing with us, it's clear that he has ability, but it's also clear that he cannot be relied upon to be available for selection game after game because of the number of injuries he has sustained since joining.

In the current market, I don't think any team would be willing to pay the Transfermarkt market value, so there's no way anyone would be willing to match the club's valuation of him.

If he has another down season, then his value will drop dramatically based on his current contract, so extending his contract makes sense to protect what value he does have, and if the finances of clubs improve over the next year or so, then I reckon we would be able to move him on at a fee that more closely matches our valuation of him.

2 minutes ago, Horus said:

Not wanting to start a row here . I watch a fair few of our matches and I can honestly say I have not seen him have a good  30 mins never mind a match. Worse I love a luxury player like Le Tissier or Berbatov or Couts. Injuries apart he is nothing . I am all in on Curtis Jones having a storming year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Not wanting to start a row here . I watch a fair few of our matches and I can honestly say I have not seen him have a good  30 mins never mind a match. Worse I love a luxury player like Le Tissier or Berbatov or Couts. Injuries apart he is nothing . I am all in on Curtis Jones having a storming year. 

He did a lovely Cruyff turn right in front of me at Selhurst Park. He was good against Barca away from memory before he got taken. A couple of good games against Bournemouth too, one of those as a left winger. I completely agree that it hasn’t been enough. My point is replacing him with someone else who would probably end up fourth/fifth choice would just be pointless IMO. He’s probably not far off Fred, but Fred starts loads of games for United. I honestly believe it’d be difficult to find a fourth choice midfielder as good as Naby.

Injuries are a convenient excuse for Keita. I seriously don't think he has the balls to even compete for a starting spot anymore.

Did he ever play again this season after being hooked against Real ?

Poor baby.

1 hour ago, m0e said:

Ben Davies is set to leave Liverpool to join Championship challengers Sheffield United this summer after going six months without kicking a ball under Jurgen Klopp

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-ben-davies-sheffield-utd-24566580

AltruisticMediumBoto-size_restricted.gif

Looking forward to the open letter for that departure. 

5 minutes ago, neko said:

Injuries are a convenient excuse for Keita. I seriously don't think he has the balls to even compete for a starting spot anymore.

Did he ever play again this season after being hooked against Real ?

Poor baby.

He has a massive case of Sturridgitis

43 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

I wonder what the club's valuation of Naby is? If I had to guess I'd say somewhere around £35m. I suspect that any contract extension would be to protect his market value. Obviously from a footballing perspective, his move to us has been a disappointment so far, but Klopp loves him, so I can't help but feel that this coming season is a pivotal season for Naby from both a playing and financial perspective. 

Transfermarkt has his current market value set at £28.80 million, which based on other transfers can't be too far off what the club value him at. I of course expect the club to value him a little higher than that, possibly up to around £35m, as they'll want to maximise any return for him should he be sold at any stage. Extending the contract beyond the current terms would prevent his market value from dropping so quickly. 

Based on his performances since signing with us, it's clear that he has ability, but it's also clear that he cannot be relied upon to be available for selection game after game because of the number of injuries he has sustained since joining.

In the current market, I don't think any team would be willing to pay the Transfermarkt market value, so there's no way anyone would be willing to match the club's valuation of him.

If he has another down season, then his value will drop dramatically based on his current contract, so extending his contract makes sense to protect what value he does have, and if the finances of clubs improve over the next year or so, then I reckon we would be able to move him on at a fee that more closely matches our valuation of him.

Why would extending his contract if he has another down season protect any value to us? We’ll be stuck with a worthless player on a long term deal who offers us nothing. He’s been terrible since his final season with Leipzig. Other clubs arent going to be offering us a penny for him if this continues. 

Get rid now if we can