You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

I wonder what the club's valuation of Naby is? If I had to guess I'd say somewhere around £35m. I suspect that any contract extension would be to protect his market value. Obviously from a footballing perspective, his move to us has been a disappointment so far, but Klopp loves him, so I can't help but feel that this coming season is a pivotal season for Naby from both a playing and financial perspective. 

Transfermarkt has his current market value set at £28.80 million, which based on other transfers can't be too far off what the club value him at. I of course expect the club to value him a little higher than that, possibly up to around £35m, as they'll want to maximise any return for him should he be sold at any stage. Extending the contract beyond the current terms would prevent his market value from dropping so quickly. 

Based on his performances since signing with us, it's clear that he has ability, but it's also clear that he cannot be relied upon to be available for selection game after game because of the number of injuries he has sustained since joining.

In the current market, I don't think any team would be willing to pay the Transfermarkt market value, so there's no way anyone would be willing to match the club's valuation of him.

If he has another down season, then his value will drop dramatically based on his current contract, so extending his contract makes sense to protect what value he does have, and if the finances of clubs improve over the next year or so, then I reckon we would be able to move him on at a fee that more closely matches our valuation of him.

2 minutes ago, Horus said:

I disagree that he won't be under pressure. We've all seen him be a good player when fit, and now there is no gini to fall back on. If we don't actually bring a first team midfielder in (and it looks like we probably will), he will be under the most pressure.

Not wanting to start a row here . I watch a fair few of our matches and I can honestly say I have not seen him have a good  30 mins never mind a match. Worse I love a luxury player like Le Tissier or Berbatov or Couts. Injuries apart he is nothing . I am all in on Curtis Jones having a storming year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Not wanting to start a row here . I watch a fair few of our matches and I can honestly say I have not seen him have a good  30 mins never mind a match. Worse I love a luxury player like Le Tissier or Berbatov or Couts. Injuries apart he is nothing . I am all in on Curtis Jones having a storming year. 

He did a lovely Cruyff turn right in front of me at Selhurst Park. He was good against Barca away from memory before he got taken. A couple of good games against Bournemouth too, one of those as a left winger. I completely agree that it hasn’t been enough. My point is replacing him with someone else who would probably end up fourth/fifth choice would just be pointless IMO. He’s probably not far off Fred, but Fred starts loads of games for United. I honestly believe it’d be difficult to find a fourth choice midfielder as good as Naby.

Injuries are a convenient excuse for Keita. I seriously don't think he has the balls to even compete for a starting spot anymore.

Did he ever play again this season after being hooked against Real ?

Poor baby.

5 minutes ago, neko said:

Injuries are a convenient excuse for Keita. I seriously don't think he has the balls to even compete for a starting spot anymore.

Did he ever play again this season after being hooked against Real ?

Poor baby.

He has a massive case of Sturridgitis

43 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

I wonder what the club's valuation of Naby is? If I had to guess I'd say somewhere around £35m. I suspect that any contract extension would be to protect his market value. Obviously from a footballing perspective, his move to us has been a disappointment so far, but Klopp loves him, so I can't help but feel that this coming season is a pivotal season for Naby from both a playing and financial perspective. 

Transfermarkt has his current market value set at £28.80 million, which based on other transfers can't be too far off what the club value him at. I of course expect the club to value him a little higher than that, possibly up to around £35m, as they'll want to maximise any return for him should he be sold at any stage. Extending the contract beyond the current terms would prevent his market value from dropping so quickly. 

Based on his performances since signing with us, it's clear that he has ability, but it's also clear that he cannot be relied upon to be available for selection game after game because of the number of injuries he has sustained since joining.

In the current market, I don't think any team would be willing to pay the Transfermarkt market value, so there's no way anyone would be willing to match the club's valuation of him.

If he has another down season, then his value will drop dramatically based on his current contract, so extending his contract makes sense to protect what value he does have, and if the finances of clubs improve over the next year or so, then I reckon we would be able to move him on at a fee that more closely matches our valuation of him.

Why would extending his contract if he has another down season protect any value to us? We’ll be stuck with a worthless player on a long term deal who offers us nothing. He’s been terrible since his final season with Leipzig. Other clubs arent going to be offering us a penny for him if this continues. 

Get rid now if we can

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

I don’t think that matters that much. We let Gini and Can fo for nothing. I don’t think Klopp has given up on Naby yet. I personally think he’ll have a good season. There’s very little pressure on him to perform next season. Thiago is the ‘star’ player, and Curtis Jones is the next big thing. He probably won’t start if everyone’s fit. However as fourth or fifth choice midfielder, is there anyone better in the league? We should really focus our energy on trying to bring in a striker. Our midfield is in a good spot IMO.

I’ve got a bridge to sell you, Anies.

• Upvote 2

it would be a fucking strange outcome of this window if keita got a new contract and the echo are right and athletico or psg come in a pinched henderson. when the initial headline was we just hadn't progressed hendrerson's deal - well he's 2 year away and in his 30's, nothing to see here. but the twist from the echo, plus neil jones putting his boot in on this new keita deal. what a crappy day. 

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

He did a lovely Cruyff turn right in front of me at Selhurst Park. He was good against Barca away from memory before he got taken. A couple of good games against Bournemouth too, one of those as a left winger. I completely agree that it hasn’t been enough. My point is replacing him with someone else who would probably end up fourth/fifth choice would just be pointless IMO. He’s probably not far off Fred, but Fred starts loads of games for United. I honestly believe it’d be difficult to find a fourth choice midfielder as good as Naby.

Fair play admire your optimism. Hope you are right I would be made up and will give him credit if he makes any meaningful contributions. 

If Keita does extend then you have to imagine that Klopp is behind it and he has a pretty good success rate. 

It is of course very difficult to knock/disagree with the haters, but personally I'd love to see him do well here. Even I have to say that makes letting Gini leave all the more bizarre though

• Upvote 1

I have been looking at some of the wages of our first teamers and I can't understand them. Nat Phillips is on £64000 per week and Harry Wilson £60000 per week. Eh? These are not new contracts. Now it may be that there is some kind of upward gradient built into the contract but would we really have offered such generous terms to peripheral players?