manwiththestick

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Pity. He would have been the life and saul of the party.

He's got a miraculous conversion rate apparently. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Horus said:

Having moved from Leicester to Everton and then Barca to Spurs, his opinion should be taken seriously.

I'm assuming he is being light-hearted

1 hour ago, El Dangerous said:

Say’s the man who left Barcelona for Spurs.

Isn't that his point?

6 hours ago, m0e said:

Every team has lost money because of Covid; we'll not be held to ransom; we believe in FFP; we already have an excellent squad; we don't want to block the pathway for our youngsters to come through; the market is a little crazy at the moment...

Have I missed anything?

No value in the market after an international tournament?

9 hours ago, m0e said:

A slight problem with that was Ged refusing to allow his full backs to cross the halfway line post 2001.

Our 'wingers' were most defensive than our full backs are today.

Yeah, not a big fan of attacking width was he Houllier?

15 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Yes! Great one, that

12 hours ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Atletico Madrid have rejected Liverpool's bid for Saul Niguez. The Reds offered £34m but the Spanish side value him higher [@mundodeportivo]

I hesitate to speak against Michael Edwards, because if he's seen something in Niguez's numbers that warrants a pursuit I'd say we should get him, but there's something suspicious going on with him.

First of all, the 9-year deal was insane. Atletico can pretend they want to hold out all they want, but I suspect they're secretly desperate to sell him. He hasn't been performing well for over a season now, and they have 5 years left on that deal. Maybe the problem gets fixed by a change in scenery and a new tactical setup, but with Simeone locked down for the long term now he's not going to get that there and they pretty much have to sell him to someone, one would think? And he's not going to accept a move just anywhere - if we walk away, you'd have to think it's a short list of other potential suitors.

I suspect in the end Atletico either try to see if he can get his mojo back for one more year or we end up getting him for a bargain price. There are times when the selling club has all the leverage but not in this case. That contract looks like a huge albatross for their club if he doesn't find his form again.

4 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I hesitate to speak against Michael Edwards, because if he's seen something in Niguez's numbers that warrants a pursuit I'd say we should get him, but there's something suspicious going on with him.

First of all, the 9-year deal was insane. Atletico can pretend they want to hold out all they want, but I suspect they're secretly desperate to sell him. He hasn't been performing well for over a season now, and they have 5 years left on that deal. Maybe the problem gets fixed by a change in scenery and a new tactical setup, but with Simeone locked down for the long term now he's not going to get that there and they pretty much have to sell him to someone, one would think? And he's not going to accept a move just anywhere - if we walk away, you'd have to think it's a short list of other potential suitors.

I suspect in the end Atletico either try to see if he can get his mojo back for one more year or we end up getting him for a bargain price. There are times when the selling club has all the leverage but not in this case. That contract looks like a huge albatross for their club if he doesn't find his form again.

Isn't he still recovering from kidney problems? Niguez, not Edwards.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, General Dryness said:

They haven't used that one next year. And the next tournament is in-sesson. It's going to feel really fresh when that's wheeled out in 3 years. 

If you gave me a choice of a 100 million pound for a new signing or give a 100 million to klopp to just stay with us for another decade I'd go klopp every day of the week and be giddy as shit. Hes perfect for this club.

• Upvote 10