manwiththestick

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

29 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Does he ? Mo must earn quite a bit, as well , doesn’h he ?

There's loads of different stuff out there suggesting anything from 400k per week to about 800k per week. Mo is on 200, mane and firmino a bit less. 

Iirc, Barca tried to back out of the deal after they realised they couldn't afford him, but couldn't and it was too late. 

Edit ... And an interesting story that hasn't hit the mainstream press over here, I assume as there's no time after saying football is coming home about a billion times. https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/antoine-griezmann-konami-endorsement-terminated-dembele-video

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Seriously? 

From this - https://fcbarcelonalatestnews.com/fc-barcelona-players-wages/

1 Lionel Messi € 70,758,000 € 1,360,731 RW 32
2 Antoine Griezmann € 45,834,000 € 881,423 CF 28
3 Miralem Pjanic € 8,400,000 € 180,000 CM 30
4 Frenkie de Jong € 20,834,000 € 400,654 CM 22
5 Sergio Busquets € 14,949,000 € 287,481 DM 31
6 Sergino Dest € 5,354,000 € 126,808 RB 19
7 Gerard Piqué € 12,740,000 € 245,000 CB 32
8 Ousmane Dembélé € 12,000,000 € 230,769 LW 22
9 Samuel Umtiti € 12,000,000 € 230,769 CB 25
10 Sergi Roberto € 9,966,000 € 191,654 CM 27
11 Trincao € 4,000,000 € 73,077 RM 19
12 Jordi Alba € 8,580,000 € 165,000 LB 30
13 Marc-André ter Stegen € 8,580,000 € 165,000 GK 27
13 Philippe Coutinho € 8,580,000 € 165,000 CAM 28
14 Arthur € 4,883,000 € 93,904 CM 23
15 Neto € 3,704,000 € 71,231 GK 30
16 Nélson Semedo € 3,429,000 € 65,942 RB 25
17 Clément Lenglet € 2,699,000 € 51,904 CB 24
18 Carles Aleñà € 869,000 € 16,712 CM 21
19 Júnior Firpo € 716,000 € 13,769 LB 23
20 Jean-Clair Todibo € 597,000 € 11,481 CB 19

Just now, SlugTrail said:

Coutinho's agent must be shit at negotiating as he is their most expensive player but not high up on their wage list.

I remember reading that he was willing to take a wage cut to join them.

The fact they needed to pay us so much meant they had the opportunity to balance that out on his salary, I suppose.

17 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Was made up when we signed Kewell. Leeds were wanting double for him, I think and he looked a good player.

He was a very, very good player at Leeds. His injury record was never great though and there is no doubting he was always a bit of a fanny. 

He started really well for us as well. He scored like 12 goals or something before Xmas.

Then he lost all ability to run. 

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

He was a very, very good player at Leeds. His injury record was never great though and there is no doubting he was always a bit of a fanny. 

He started really well for us as well. He scored like 12 goals or something before Xmas.

Then he lost all ability to run. 

Remember how we all went mad at Ged playing him on the right, rather than as a left winger?

Took about a decade before everyone was doing it.

• Upvote 1

Real and Barce take the piss. We are all told how they are the dream clubs for players to play for but they have to spend astronomical wages and transfer fees that financially cripple them. And some how they wriggle themselves out of the mess they put themselves in. 

I mean, at least Man City and Chelsea have ridiculously wealthy owners so although that's annoying, it's understandable. The two Spanish jokes though live widely beyond their means for years upon years. 

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Remember how we all went mad at Ged playing him on the right, rather than as a left winger?

Took about a decade before everyone was doing it.

A slight problem with that was Ged refusing to allow his full backs to cross the halfway line post 2001.

Our 'wingers' were most defensive than our full backs are today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Atletico Madrid have rejected Liverpool's bid for Saul Niguez. The Reds offered £34m but the Spanish side value him higher [@mundodeportivo]

Oh well, we tried, we failed, best keep our powder dry for another window.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

Every team has lost money because of Covid; we'll not be held to ransom; we believe in FFP; we already have an excellent squad; we don't want to block the pathway for our youngsters to come through; the market is a little crazy at the moment...

Have I missed anything?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, m0e said:

Every team has lost money because of Covid; we'll not be held to ransom; we believe in FFP; we already have an excellent squad; we don't want to block the pathway for our youngsters to come through; the market is a little crazy at the moment...

Have I missed anything?

If the Mbappe song I’ve been working on all summer with ‘My Girl’ as the original source material isn’t gonna happen I’m going to be proper fucked off.

More fucked of than not having the Kabak song, that was a kick in the dick, this would be the final straw. 

• Upvote 2

Atletico Madrid have rejected Liverpool's bid for Saul Niguez. The Reds offered £34m but the Spanish side value him higher [@mundodeportivo]

He's supposedly slipped down the pecking order at Atletico, hasnt he? No doubt, they want the PL premium for him.

23 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

Did we give up after one bid for Mo? Or Sadio? Or (gulp!) Keita? I must have missed those multiple bids. Hey ho.

• Downvote 1

Mundo Deportivo is a Barcelona mouthpiece. Although to my knowledge, they've never once written an article about how having Young Player X in the squad can save Barca millions, I think they're the ones trying to push the idea of a Saul/Griezmann swap deal, and a supposed rejected bid from us for the former fits their story.

22 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Nothing like a little biased transfer advice.

Having moved from Leicester to Everton and then Barca to Spurs, his opinion should be taken seriously.