You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

4 minutes ago, Horus said:

1) Again, not particularly adult fashion to say "they started it, miss"

2) I agree, but you're telling people that they shouldn't think the way they do.

I have the most sympathy for the paragraph but here's the thing; a lot of people use forums just to let off steam and let out frustrations, because the alternative is walking through town in our slippers issuing a sandwich board fatwa against FSG.

I hate to break it to you, but people aren't going to change just because you challenge them, just like you won't change on the back of this post, nor i because of any reply you may write.

It's no coincidence that our money is going into things like bricks and mortar that will give them the biggest returns, and even supporters of FSG must notice the patterns of every January window, when we're told we're saving up for a big one in the summer, then we're told in summers that we're skint, as they announce 5 new sponsorships. Obviously some of that is purposefully hyperbolic, but these frustrations exist. It's been a long way back to the top and to watch us potentially squander this golden opportunity is heartbreaking

No other team in Europe that can claim on it's day, to be the best in Europe, is working with the same constraints as us, and we're only where we are because of Jurgen. It shows this is built on a house of sand as we run our own players into the ground and ages where their sell on values won't fund a new team and then what happens? We're not signing the best young players in Europe to keep this approach going, we're taking gambles and punts, so no doubt some will mature into good or potential great players for the club, but most won't.

Then we leak our transfer domination all over the press - Thiago only cost an initial down payment of 5 million. Jota was £4m (but we're still skint) This year, new contracts and stadium capacity will be used to shut the fans up.

David Moores' ownership getting a loan for the stadium back in 05-06 would have us in exactly the same place we are now. FSG were never saviours, but I never expected our fans to be so on board with them focussing on their profits over our team.

1) Maybe not but the fact remains the same. If the pointless, needless post had been made first, I wouldn’t have responded. 

2) People likely won’t change their mind. But they don’t even entertain the other thoughts. 

Posters might have good points on FSG but it’s buried in so much shite (yachts, stealing wages, Linda is a whore, we can’t be bothered to negotiate - all claims that have been repeatedly made) it all just gets lost.

Look back at the posts what has started this, this morning.

The initial post is needless, unnecessary and been made numerous times before. 

The second post outlying when we make our signings is factually incorrect. If people disagree with facts and think the poster who made it is reputable, considering the same poster has also consistently bent truths (lied) and passed off as fact (ie all the claims above), I’m not sure what else to say.

I don’t disagree with what you’ve said there on FSG, most of it is factually accurate. However, there is still 8 weeks of the window left, so I don’t see the need to going off on one everyday - I just can’t comprehend it. It’s so needy, pathetic & small time.

FWIW, if we haven’t signed another couple of young & talented players come September, I’ll be pissed off. But I’ll wait until September to pass judgment.

• Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, Horus said:

1) Again, not particularly adult fashion to say "they started it, miss"

2) I agree, but you're telling people that they shouldn't think the way they do.

I have the most sympathy for the paragraph but here's the thing; a lot of people use forums just to let off steam and let out frustrations, because the alternative is walking through town in our slippers issuing a sandwich board fatwa against FSG.

I hate to break it to you, but people aren't going to change just because you challenge them, just like you won't change on the back of this post, nor i because of any reply you may write.

It's no coincidence that our money is going into things like bricks and mortar that will give them the biggest returns, and even supporters of FSG must notice the patterns of every January window, when we're told we're saving up for a big one in the summer, then we're told in summers that we're skint, as they announce 5 new sponsorships. Obviously some of that is purposefully hyperbolic, but these frustrations exist. It's been a long way back to the top and to watch us potentially squander this golden opportunity is heartbreaking

No other team in Europe that can claim on it's day, to be the best in Europe, is working with the same constraints as us, and we're only where we are because of Jurgen. It shows this is built on a house of sand as we run our own players into the ground and ages where their sell on values won't fund a new team and then what happens? We're not signing the best young players in Europe to keep this approach going, we're taking gambles and punts, so no doubt some will mature into good or potential great players for the club, but most won't.

Then we leak our transfer domination all over the press - Thiago only cost an initial down payment of 5 million. Jota was £4m (but we're still skint) This year, new contracts and stadium capacity will be used to shut the fans up.

David Moores' ownership getting a loan for the stadium back in 05-06 would have us in exactly the same place we are now. FSG were never saviours, but I never expected our fans to be so on board with them focussing on their profits over our team.

Absolutely superb. Well written and to the point.

I guess simply put, FSG's allegiance to the Club is business first, on pitch success second and that doesn't fit with my narrative as a supporter, I just can't get on board with it.

I don't mind them making money, but not to the detriment of the Club and the fans. And unfortunately it has always been about protecting their bottom line. Its one interesting summer thats for sure because the worm is turning.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

1) Maybe not but the fact remains the same. If the pointless, needless post had been made first, I wouldn’t have responded. 

2) People likely won’t change their mind. But they don’t even entertain the other thoughts. 

Posters might have good points on FSG but it’s buried in so much shite (yachts, stealing wages, Linda is a whore, we can’t be bothered to negotiate - all claims that have been repeatedly made) it all just gets lost.

Look back at the posts what has started this, this morning.

The initial post is needless, unnecessary and been made numerous times before. 

The second post outlying when we make our signings is factually incorrect. If people disagree with facts and think the poster who made it is reputable, considering the same poster has also consistently bent truths (lied) and passed off as fact (ie all the claims above), I’m not sure what else to say.

I don’t disagree with what you’ve said there on FSG, most of it is factually accurate. However, there is still 8 weeks of the window left, so I don’t see the need to going off on one everyday - I just can’t comprehend it. It’s so needy, pathetic & small time.

FWIW, if we haven’t signed another couple of young & talented players come September, I’ll be pissed off. But I’ll wait until September to pass judgment.

Its not that theres 8 weeks left its that it is going according to trend and that has been established over many, many years. THATS the problem.

the other stuff about Yachts is just tongue in cheek stuff.

• Downvote 1

I wanna preface this by saying I want FSG to put more money into the club. But comparing them to David Moores is bullshit.

Spending money on transfers is no guarantee of success. Under previous owners, we had no long term planning for our players, we had no use of the loan market, we had managers padding out the squad with shit players, and we had loads of flops. We had managers signing players based on their own assessment and nothing more. No off-pitch structure or planning. We had managers building their own youth teams because they didn't fancy talking to Kirkby.

People are rightly pointing out that a lot of our current success is down to Jurgen Klopp. We all know what an amazing coach and motivator he is. It's going to be hard to find anyone half as good and that would be the case even if we were offering £100m a year, all the backroom staff you want and a unlimited transfer budget. But the thing about Klopp and FSG is, Klopp loves it here. He absolutely fucking loves it. FSG got him here and they're keeping him here, the mancs couldn't even get him interested in the first place. Don't they deserve some credit for that?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Absolutely superb. Well written and to the point.

I guess simply put, FSG's allegiance to the Club is business first, on pitch success second and that doesn't fit with my narrative as a supporter, I just can't get on board with it.

I don't mind them making money, but not to the detriment of the Club and the fans. And unfortunately it has always been about protecting their bottom line. Its one interesting summer thats for sure because the worm is turning.

From an owner's perspective, when has it ever been any different?

From our very beginnings, the owner(s) have been money first. That will always be the case. Business people want to make money.

• Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It's also been a place for people to call each other cunts, I just don't see the point in complaining about the content when contributing to it. Its up to anybody if they want to carry on an arguement or not bother with it.

you missed a good chance to call me a cunt there. cunts trick that. 

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

From an owner's perspective, when has it ever been any different?

From our very beginnings, the owner(s) have been money first. That will always be the case. Business people want to make money.

True. but look at the Glazers. yep they've been taking money out of the Club but they also spend. Its partly their fault they are shit, but if they get the managerial and director structure right at some point they will be a force again. the motivation to win is there, the management staff isn't...yet.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

True. but look at the Glazers. yep they've been taking money out of the Club but they also spend. Its partly their fault they are shit, but if they get the managerial and director structure right at some point they will be a force again. the motivation to win is there, the management staff isn't...yet.

They don't spend at all. All the spending is revenue-driven and they're a money-making machine. 

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Its not that theres 8 weeks left its that it is going according to trend and that has been established over many, many years. THATS the problem.

the other stuff about Yachts is just tongue in cheek stuff.

Describe, in your view, this trend. 

If your going to use Barry’s post earlier, I’ll point out to you now, that post a has more holes than a sieve and I’ll happily rip it apart. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Ifs, buts and maybes... 

Would you rather have them over FSG? Course you wouldn't, and neither would any sensible person.

If not FSG, then who? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And round we go again! Who wouldnt want the club to spend more money on players? But it's not as simple as that, is it?

Everyone has their opinion on what players the club buys and sells. Obviously Im not going to go through all of them but Ithink some people forget the club shelled out money when Torres decided he wanted to join a 'professional' club. We can argue about the quality of the players bought with that money but it was re investedand didnt find its way into the owners pockets.

The club has only had one miss with transfers since Jurgen arrived and the Sporting Director or whatever you want to call Edwards have got their act together. That one miss is Keita. Karius was a basement buy but there I think Jurgen made him 1st choice too soon.

And how much is enough, £50m, £75m, £100m? Bottom line is the club could spend £75m and the people who say the club isnt spending enough just say we bought the wrong players and how can our wage bill be more than city etc? Cant please everyone.

• Downvote 1

Just now, Scott_M said:

Describe, in your view, this trend. 

Horus has just put it in the post above.

This is FSG

Buy early, if the quality and price is right and if theres no bidding war. (Konate/Minamino etc)

Sell assets first before buying. (literally every signing is funded by outgoings)

Keep your powder dry in January in anticipation for the summer. Stadium/Contracts/World Event permitting.

Sell your best asset and reinvest.

Keep the local journals in check by offering them access for puff pieces. (Echo, TAW, Redmen)

Let me remind you that this is a team that:

Has no replacement for Wijnaldum yet.

No real backup for the fullbacks

Has no real back up for Firmino

Has only two centre backs that could be considered injury free.

We are still relying on Shaqiri and Origi who the gaffer clearly doesn't rate. We still have a load of players Jurgen clearly doesn't rate or want in Grujic, Wilson, Williams, Karius.

Milner is 105 years old.

These are not new problems. These are problems that have been swimming around the team for a few years now and never addressed.

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

Ifs, buts and maybes... 

Would you rather have them over FSG? Course you wouldn't, and neither would any sensible person.

If not FSG, then who? 

How can you ask that? Why do you ask that? Who knows who is out there?

What I want is a serious owner who sees on field success as a priority. By not leaving Jurgen to turn water into wine season upon season.

Thats what I want.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

Ifs, buts and maybes... 

If not FSG, then who? 

I find this a really daft thing to say "but who". We didn't know FSG were out there till they were. It's impossible to know who unless it's your line of work (on this forum I have deduced maybe that is @FrenchEyeGlass only and he thinks our owners are a bunch of cunts if that's any reference). It doesn't mean you can't expect more and challenge people to think they can deliver more. Liverpool will be owned by FSG until it suits FSG, we all should know that. In the meantime though we should be able to push them into being better owners in everyway possible. All this flag waving on behalf of a bunch of fucking hedgefunders is fucking mental in my opinion.  

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

And round we go again! Who wouldnt want the club to spend more money on players? But it's not as simple as that, is it?

Everyone has their opinion on what players the club buys and sells. Obviously Im not going to go through all of them but Ithink some people forget the club shelled out money when Torres decided he wanted to join a 'professional' club. We can argue about the quality of the players bought with that money but it was re investedand didnt find its way into the owners pockets.

The club has only had one miss with transfers since Jurgen arrived and the Sporting Director or whatever you want to call Edwards have got their act together. That one miss is Keita. Karius was a basement buy but there I think Jurgen made him 1st choice too soon.

And how much is enough, £50m, £75m, £100m? Bottom line is the club could spend £75m and the people who say the club isnt spending enough just say we bought the wrong players and how can our wage bill be more than city etc? Cant please everyone.

Its not the cost of a player thats important, its getting the right player for the boss. If he wants Jadon fucking Sancho, go get him.

If he wants McGinn and he thinks he can do a job, go and get him. Who gives a fuck! Give him the tools to do the best job he can rather than constraining him.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Its not the cost of a player thats important, its getting the right player for the boss. If he wants Jadon fucking Sancho, go get him.

If he wants McGinn and he thinks he can do a job, go and get him. Who gives a fuck! Give him the tools to do the best job he can rather than constraining him.

It's not the cost? Funny, you and others were on here some time back going on about signing shit players in the £35m price range. You're always the same, you change the basis of your agument to suit and you always do it in the first weeks of the transfer window.

Perhaps Jurgen doesnt want Sancho, perhaps he doesnt want McGinn? You reel off these stories from the press then complain the Echo and the rest are the club's mouthpiece. Yet another example of where you flip your argument to suit.

Loads wanted rid of Lovren, then when we have an unprecedented injury situation, its why have we got enough cbs?

4 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Horus has just put it in the post above.

This is FSG

Buy early, if the quality and price is right and if theres no bidding war. (Konate/Minamino etc)

Sell assets first before buying. (literally every signing is funded by outgoings)

Keep your powder dry in January in anticipation for the summer. Stadium/Contracts/World Event permitting.

Sell your best asset and reinvest.

Keep the local journals in check by offering them access for puff pieces. (Echo, TAW, Redmen)

Let me remind you that this is a team that:

Has no replacement for Wijnaldum yet.

No real backup for the fullbacks

Has no real back up for Firmino

Has only two centre backs that could be considered injury free.

We are still relying on Shaqiri and Origi who the gaffer clearly doesn't rate. We still have a load of players Jurgen clearly doesn't rate or want in Grujic, Wilson, Williams, Karius.

Milner is 105 years old.

These are not new problems. These are problems that have been swimming around the team for a few years now and never addressed.

Given the kerfuffle today started by the bit in bold, let me start. 

16/17 - Mane, Wijnaldum, Matip

17/18 - Salah, Robbo.
18/19 - Alisson, Keita, Fabinho, Shaq.

When we have looked to spend big money on players, we have signed them early. 

Whether it’s because we had the money or whatever, I don’t care. The fact is we signed these players early in the window, before the season kicked off and that’s that. 

When we have signed players late (Ox & Thiago) are there reasons behind that. 

All our transfer dealings are in here. We also don’t sell to buy. Apart from a Coutinho money, the outgoing regularly significantly more than the incoming. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-liverpool/alletransfers/verein/31

As for all the other stuff. I don’t necessarily disagree with most of it but we still have 8 weeks to shift players on and trim / refresh the squad. We went over all this last summer and the signed Thiago and Jota.

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It's not the cost? Funny, you and others were on here some time back going on about signing shit players in the £35m price range. You're always the same, you change the basis of your agument to suit and you always do it in the first weeks of the transfer window.

Perhaps Jurgen doesnt want Sancho, perhaps he doesnt want McGinn? You reel off these stories from the press then complain the Echo and the rest are the club's mouthpiece. Yet another example of where you flip your argument to suit.

Loads wanted rid of Lovren, then when we have an unprecedented injury situation, its why have we got enough cbs?

Sorry who has banged on about the cost? Think you are confusing some of us.

Im not bothered about 100 million players, I just want him to have the squad and options he needs in order to be competitive over the the few competitions we go in. That means not sacrificing competitions every year or watching him plead like in January for help with a centre back.

I don't want him having to make do with players because he doesn't trust signings like Tsmikas and Davies to do a job.

Thats constraints.

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Given the kerfuffle today started by the bit in bold, let me start. 

16/17 - Mane, Wijnaldum, Matip

17/18 - Salah, Robbo.
18/19 - Alisson, Keita, Fabinho, Shaq.

When we have looked to spend big money on players, we have signed them early. 

Whether it’s because we had the money or whatever, I don’t care. The fact is we signed these players early in the window, before the season kicked off and that’s that. 

When we have signed players late (Ox & Thiago) are there reasons behind that. 

All our transfer dealings are in here. We also don’t sell to buy. Apart from a Coutinho money, the outgoing regularly significantly more than the incoming. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-liverpool/alletransfers/verein/31

As for all the other stuff. I don’t necessarily disagree with most of it but we still have 8 weeks to shift players on and trim / refresh the squad. We went over all this last summer and the signed Thiago and Jota.

Look at the dates of those. A mini purple patch off the back of some robust sales. Its all of since stopped. Football doesn't sit still and wait for you to catch up, its always evolving> your rivals pick themselves up and try to do better, to become better. They don't allow you to hoover up the trophies.

What happened last year was the direct result of lack of investment and planning.

And don't fucking dare mention COVID.

• Upvote 1