You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

So two players who at the time were world record transfers were signed before they "blew up."

Yea - I guess.

MONEYBALL BITCHES.

We bought them both for the combined fee of Coutinho, who I would argue hadn't proved himself to be world class, and certainly hasn't since.

Kepa fuck face broke Alisson’s record a few weeks later. He's Chelsea's substitute keeper now.

The fees have nothing to do with being world class or not. Look at Sancho.

2 minutes ago, m0e said:

The fees have nothing to do with being world class or not. Look at Sancho.

The fees have everything to do with how the actual football world sees talent - not the internet - you honestly feel that Sancho was overpriced - WTF man, SRSLY - he is the best young winger in the game. 

Bayern wants more for Kingsley Coman FFS.

So it is either - the club identified tip top players (cuz you really need to include Salah) and paid less than they were worth (read clever) - or they saw what a half a dozen teams saw and were willing to pay over the odds to get them (read not tightwads). In either case they have been proven correct.

It's all become a bit Daisyish on here today.

17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

So two players who at the time were world record transfers were signed before they "blew up."

Yea - I guess.

MONEYBALL BITCHES.

We paid inflated fees as a result of how highly rated they were in the market, but they certainly were not established, top players, whatever you have to do to reach that category of player.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The fees have everything to do with how the actual football world sees talent - not the internet - you honestly feel that Sancho was overpriced - WTF man, SRSLY - he is the best young winger in the game. 

Bayern wants more for Kingsley Coman FFS.

So it is either - the club identified tip top players (cuz you really need to include Salah) and paid less than they were worth (read clever) - or they saw what a half a dozen teams saw and were willing to pay over the odds to get them (read not tightwads). In either case they have been proven correct.

It's all become a bit Daisyish on here today.

915216558_tenor(11).gif.cb948f5def7365c0d6819b730b483deb.gif

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

I  guess my roundabout point is that we’ve a track record of doing transfers really well, even if they are on a relative shoestring, so I can’t be arsed getting too excited about City signing Kane or United signing Sancho. Even Thiago cost less than Ox. 

Of course, as with everything else, a lot of this great strike rate is down to Klopp and will leave the club whenever he does. 

I agree. I couldn’t give 2 shits who United or City sign. I only care about us.

Recently, we’ve consistently signed better players for less money than the two of them, I have confidence we can do it again.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We paid inflated fees as a result of how highly rated they were in the market, but they certainly were not established, top players, whatever you have to do to reach that category of player.

So they were highly rated - yet not top players??

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Let's go a little slower then.

Is Sancho worth more than Kingsley Coman - that is a yes/no from you.

Are Alisson and Van Dijk world class now - again yes/no.

Maybe

Yes

Well, I'm glad that's sorted.

Phheee-yeewwww

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

So they were highly rated - yet not top players??

Yeah, I don't think a good season at Roma and a Southampton player with 6 games of Champions League experience and little international experience at the time, were top players. Pretty easy to figure that out.

Doesn't mean they had to be top players at the time, they were clearly earmarked to become top players, which is why we paid what we paid and it's the type of player we usually try to buy anyway.

Just now, m0e said:

Maybe

Yes

Well, I'm glad that's sorted.

Phheee-yeewwww

First one -- you may be the only fella to think that - not a whole lot of football folks seem to share that hesitancy.

Yea - sorted - so good business done by LFC under any circumstances.

See it is easy.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

First one -- you may be the only fella to think that - not a whole lot of football folks seem to share that hesitancy.

Yea - sorted - so good business done by LFC under any circumstances.

See it is easy.

Football folks, eh? If only I could be part of that tribe...

Here are 2 questions for you.

Is Kepa worth more than Alisson - that is a yes/no from you.

Are Keita and Werner world class now - again yes/no.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, I don't think a good season at Roma and a Southampton player with 6 games of Champions League experience and little international experience at the time, were top players. Pretty easy to figure that out.

Doesn't mean they had to be top players at the time, they were clearly earmarked to become top players, which is why we paid what we paid and it's the type of player we usually try to buy anyway.

Mate -- we haven't bought record transfers in their respective positions for eons - twice in two seasons I'mma say never though you are welcome to trawl through the transfer history to prove that wrong. Be a good use of time.

So we saw something others didn't and were willing to back it up - and it has paid off. Genius doncha know.

33 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I work on facts not fairy stories, rumour and inuendo. I'll believe people who say 'how is our wage bill higher than united or city's?' blah, blah, fucking blah, when they produce irrefutable evidence.

People need to start producing evidence that there's 'serious book cooking' going on here as well else they just appear like flat earthers and moon landing deniers. Just repeating stuff ad nauseam doesnt make it credible never mind accurate.

Of course it could be that united or city are over egging their wage bill? But I dont believe that.

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/  this is worth a look. At city De Bruyn and Sterling earn double per week what the third highest earne picks up. What was also interesting is no figure put in for Fernandinho.

Mate -- we haven't bought record transfers in their respective positions for eons - twice in two seasons I'mma say never though you are welcome to trawl through the transfer history to prove that wrong. Be a good use of time.

So we saw something others didn't and were willing to back it up - and it has paid off. Genius doncha know.

Who is saying it wasn't? The first comment I made was about them not being the finished articles.

They weren't. By any definition. That's the same as Sancho.

What's your issue with that?

2 minutes ago, m0e said:

Football folks, eh? If only I could be part of that tribe...

Here are 2 questions for you.

Is Kepa worth more than Alisson - that is a yes/no from you.

Are Keita and Werner world class now - again yes/no.

No - so our scouts nailed that one. As they did with Van Dijk. And Salah. And Mane. And Fabinho. And Robbo.

I didn't mention either of them so not sure what that has to do with it.

No - so our scouts nailed that one. As they did with Van Dijk. And Salah. And Mane. And Fabinho. And Robbo.

I didn't mention either of them so not sure what that has to do with it.

What is it that you think I'm saying?

You seem to be picking your own fights here.

Just now, m0e said:

Who is saying it wasn't? The first comment I made was about them not being the finished articles.

They weren't. By any definition. That's the same as Sancho.

What's your issue with that?

I don't have one - the market favors potential as finished articles are by definition at their peak.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

OK, sweet, didn't say it wasn't genius, I just said they weren't top players at the time.

Per usual, I have no idea what you're arguing about.

1 minute ago, m0e said:

And?

And the folks (football) who get the majority of those hedges (see what I did there) are better at their jobs than the folks who do not.

Seeing as how we have never competed for finished articles I feel we have a record over time recently of being better than the market in that respect.

It's not an argument is it?

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

OK, sweet, didn't say it wasn't genius, I just said they weren't top players at the time.

Per usual, I have no idea what you're arguing about.

I am not surprised at your last line.

By definition they were the top rated players available at the time.

And voila - they are now the top players. Genius. (I don't expect you to understand that either).