You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

How on earth is our wage bill the same as Uniteds and City's almost when they pay 300 grand plus wages to numerous players. I doubt very much their weaker players are on significantly less than ours to average it out and city have a fucking second first 11.

Incentivized contracts and winning everything will do that to you.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

How on earth is our wage bill the same as Uniteds and City's almost when they pay 300 grand plus wages to numerous players. I doubt very much their weaker players are on significantly less than ours to average it out and city have a fucking second first 11.

Ah fuck, not this shit again.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Ah fuck, not this shit again.

Yeah this shit again. Some serious book cooking going on at city. Incentivised my arse, every single club and footballer has an incentivised contract and pretty much always have, so city should be banging out big bonuses alongside those high wages.

• Upvote 1

Mane and Salah were relatively leftfield signings and a lot on here would have been underwhelmed when we were initially  linked with them. They certainly weren’t considered world class at the time. By my reckoning,Virgil, Alisson and Thiago are probably the only established, universally lauded finished articles that we’ve bought under Klopp, and two of those came from from The Great Coutinho Swindle. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, El Rojo said:

Mane and Salah were relatively leftfield signings and a lot on here would have been underwhelmed when we were initially  linked with them. They certainly weren’t considered world class at the time. By my reckoning,Virgil, Alisson and Thiago are probably the only established, universally lauded finished articles that we’ve bought under Klopp, and two of those came from from The Great Coutinho Swindle. 

Alisson had one good season at trophy-less Roma, and VVD starred for the defence minded, mid-table Southampton.

I'd not include them either.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I'm not arsed about the name rather than us buying a couple of first 11 players. Players intended to be battling to play week in week out that we are pretty sure will be the case. Konate is one he hasn't been bought to tie matip or Gomez shoe laces. I trust Klopp to get the best out of anyone.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, m0e said:

Alisson had one good season at trophy-less Roma, and VVD starred for the defence minded, mid-table Southampton.

I’d definitely include Van Dijk - one of life’s great mysteries that he didn’t move to a bigger club until halfway through his career. Alisson’s distribution was clearly different level at Roma too. 

I guess my roundabout point is that we’ve a track record of doing transfers really well, even if they are on a relative shoestring, so I can’t be arsed getting too excited about City signing Kane or United signing Sancho. Even Thiago cost less than Ox. 

Of course, as with everything else, a lot of this great strike rate is down to Klopp and will leave the club whenever he does. 

8 minutes ago, m0e said:

They both became the most expensive players in their positions in the world, they get included of course they do. 

15 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

They both became the most expensive players in their positions in the world, they get included of course they do. 

As "established, universally lauded finished articles"?!

No chance.

20 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I’d definitely include Van Dijk - one of life’s great mysteries that he didn’t move to a bigger club until halfway through his career. Alisson’s distribution was clearly different level at Roma too. 

I guess my roundabout point is that we’ve a track record of doing transfers really well, even if they are on a relative shoestring, so I can’t be arsed getting too excited about City signing Kane or United signing Sancho. Even Thiago cost less than Ox. 

Of course, as with everything else, a lot of this great strike rate is down to Klopp and will leave the club whenever he does. 

Agree with most of that. My point is, VVD hadn't proved it at the highest level, so he wasn't an "established, universally lauded finished article".

Alisson’s distribution isn't that great either. In fact, it's probably his weakest asset. Ederson's is miles better and no one calls him world class.

Better-than-Sterling Jordon Ibe, 25, has left Derby after the player’s contract was cancelled by mutual consent.

The former Liverpool midfielder made just one appearance for the Championship club after signing on a free transfer from Bournemouth last summer.

Yeah the finished articles bit is a nonsense but you don't pay that type of money for players who aren't considered absolute top tier whether they have room to develop or not. Alisson and VVD are up there with any big transfer move by almost any club. Those two were ambitious billy big bollocks signings. 

Anyway Im not bothered about us going massive for a player though I won't lie it would be nice for us to do a Chelsea or united now and then, sign some ball tingling player without the fanbase needing to discuss the knock on effect on the wage structure, the future impact or if this means we are losing a top player but again the right player isnt always the one who gets your hopes up. The biggest asset we have is Klopp by miles.

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Yeah the finished articles bit is a nonsense but you don't pay that type of money for players who aren't considered absolute top tier whether they have room to develop or not. Alisson and VVD are up there with any big transfer move by almost any club. Those two were ambitious billy big bollocks signings. 

Anyway Im not bothered about us going massive for a player though I won't lie it would be nice for us to do a Chelsea or united now and then, sign some ball tingling player without the fanbase needing to discuss the knock on effect on the wage structure, the future impact or if this means we are losing a top player but again the right player isnt always the one who gets your hopes up. The biggest asset we have is Klopp by miles.

You can argue that Keita was a billy big bollocks signing too.

I'd put him in the same bracket as VVD and Alisson. Same as Werner.

Don't forget, we ended up paying £15mil more for VVD because of the Blackpool incident.

Your last line is spot on.

18 minutes ago, m0e said:

Better-than-Sterling Jordon Ibe, 25, has left Derby after the player’s contract was cancelled by mutual consent.

The former Liverpool midfielder made just one appearance for the Championship club after signing on a free transfer from Bournemouth last summer.

No one could run the ball out of play like him. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Yeah this shit again. Some serious book cooking going on at city. Incentivised my arse, every single club and footballer has an incentivised contract and pretty much always have, so city should be banging out big bonuses alongside those high wages.

I also believe the pay gaps between the liverpool players is quite small throughout the squad whereas the disparity at city and united between top earners and the rest is quite big. Sancho is coming in on 300k which is 100k a week more than our top earners. No doubt tho city are cooking tbe books.

• Upvote 1

Alisson and van Dijk weren't top players. Alisson had one great season in Italy and Virgil had never really played at the highest level. They were pretty similar to our usual "sign a player before they blow up"thing, but riskier because of the higher price. That was just excellent scouting. Keita was also in that mould, but that one didn't work out.

Our bread and butter is the 35-45m range. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Alisson and van Dijk weren't top players. Alisson had one great season in Italy and Virgil had never really played at the highest level. They were pretty similar to our usual "sign a player before they blow up"thing, but riskier because of the higher price. That was just excellent scouting. Keita was also in that mould, but that one didn't work out.

Shame about Keita but that Horse has well bolted.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I work on facts not fairy stories, rumour and inuendo. I'll believe people who say 'how is our wage bill higher than united or city's?' blah, blah, fucking blah, when they produce irrefutable evidence.

People need to start producing evidence that there's 'serious book cooking' going on here as well else they just appear like flat earthers and moon landing deniers. Just repeating stuff ad nauseam doesnt make it credible never mind accurate.

Of course it could be that united or city are over egging their wage bill? But I dont believe that.

Edited by dockers_strike
Clarified a point