You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

In no scenario ever, under FSG, will we be spending over 100 mil to buy a player with less than 1 year left on his contract.

He joins us next season with 50mil in his pocket, 250k a week in wages, plus a sweet share of the Nike merch.

12 hours ago, Jockey said:

They lost 6 games though! They were far from the dominant side of 2017-19 - pundits reflex to lavish them with praise was ridiculous. They won a flawed league with a flawed team - nothing about last year was normal and for a team with an abnormal squad they were able to roll with the punches better, that is all. I think if Sterling goes, Jesus and Laporte then yes they are - Ake is painfully shit, so suddenly he is 3rd choice. Sterling is a great player - and I'd rather TAA faces Grealish than him. 

Lets see. Those on here presenting them with the trophy are pretty much the same ones who gave up in 2018. 

Great shout this. I’ve always felt that city are nothing but flat track bullies who only want to know when everything’s on a plate for them. They were nowhere to be seen the years when Chelsea, Leicester and we won it and even last season, until we had a mental breakdown after Christmas they’d already gave up the ghost and could have still been potentially caught by utd late on.

Good team but no stomach for a real fight. We get our signings right with players ready for the 1st team and keep them all fit we’ll finish above them even with Kane and Grealish. 

8 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

What benefit have we had from keeping Grujic, Wilson, Origi etc for another year? They offer nothing. Shaqiri, the manager clearly doesn't want him to play. Get rid. 

I mean, we are getting pretty substantial loan fees, if you add it up year on year.

I think we've gotten 8m in loan fees for Grujic since we signed him (more than we paid for him originally), if you add it all up, no? And I know we got 2m for Wilson last year, and he's under contract for 4 more years! That's 8m right there if we kept getting it - I don't know why we'd take less than that, at the very least.

I'm not saying there's no scenario where we shouldn't drop our prices, just that there's a logical floor to them as well, and if other clubs aren't offering that much, it's not like we get absolutely zero for them on loan, most times.

11 hours ago, m0e said:

In no scenario ever, under FSG, will we be spending over 100 mil to buy a player with less than 1 year left on his contract.

He joins us next season with 50mil in his pocket, 250k a week in wages, plus a sweet share of the Nike merch.

if he goes anywhere on a free it will be Madrid 

12 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I mean, we are getting pretty substantial loan fees, if you add it up year on year.

I think we've gotten 8m in loan fees for Grujic since we signed him (more than we paid for him originally), if you add it all up, no? And I know we got 2m for Wilson last year, and he's under contract for 4 more years! That's 8m right there if we kept getting it - I don't know why we'd take less than that, at the very least.

I'm not saying there's no scenario where we shouldn't drop our prices, just that there's a logical floor to them as well, and if other clubs aren't offering that much, it's not like we get absolutely zero for them on loan, most times.

Because looking at all of these players/deals purely as individually is stupid. They all contribute to not being able to spend money on players who actually do something on the pitch for us. We clearly aren't making enough in loan fees to actually bolster the squad because...well...we haven't bolstered the squad.

It's a logical flaw to think that simply attempting to squeeze every single penny out of every single individual transaction is the best way to run a football club. That waiting two years might get another 500k out of a player. In the meantime we have no back up right back and Origi is still strolling around the pitch stoned out of his fucking head for the 12 minutes of football he gets every fortnight.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Is he any good? I don't watch a lot of German football. All I can think on the occasions I've seen him is he's fast as fuck. I don't remember a great deal of end product to go with it, but I might just not have seen him on the right day. 

He's been a more traditional wide player for Bayern. Get to the byline and cross it in for Lewandowski. 

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Does he look like he has the tools to play as an inside forward like klopp seems to like? 

I think he could be dangerous anywhere. He's played at striker for France a couple times in the past year before they called up Benzema. 

He's the age profile we go for and his contract has two years left which is why I don't totally reject we could be interested but there's probably some big mitigating factors. Wages, for sure. And he's had lots of injuries.  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Because looking at all of these players/deals purely as individually is stupid. They all contribute to not being able to spend money on players who actually do something on the pitch for us. We clearly aren't making enough in loan fees to actually bolster the squad because...well...we haven't bolstered the squad.

It's a logical flaw to think that simply attempting to squeeze every single penny out of every single individual transaction is the best way to run a football club. That waiting two years might get another 500k out of a player. In the meantime we have no back up right back and Origi is still strolling around the pitch stoned out of his fucking head for the 12 minutes of football he gets every fortnight.

I agree with this. I do understand saying no last year - don't just give up. But not this year, it is illogical to argue that money is tight and then deny yourself funds because you want £15m for Wilson, not £10m. 

Wilson

Williams, Neko

Grujic

Shaq

Origi

Anything from £50m to £70m is fine. Philips, Mini and Awoniya can add the extra if required. Edwards has had one year being stubborn, I don't think another year is logical. 

8 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Liverpool have agreed a £2m fee with Basel for Liam Millar according to James Pearce. 

Not bad considering he's never played for us 

Might be a similar fee we’d get for Keita 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think he could be dangerous anywhere. He's played at striker for France a couple times in the past year before they called up Benzema. 

He's the age profile we go for and his contract has two years left which is why I don't totally reject we could be interested but there's probably some big mitigating factors. Wages, for sure. And he's had lots of injuries.  

I would guess his fee is still full value though if he has 2 years left, which would be most unlike us. And as you say we don't like to pay the massive wages on those inbound players. It very much feels like a lad after a new contract.