You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

14 hours ago, Mark M said:

Its a bit of a sickener I have to say if they add Grealish and Kane cause unless we have a season where we've zero injuries and everyone plays the the maximum we wont have enough to overhaul that City squad. 

Sky / BT & the pundits waxing lyrical about them but City have taken away the competitiveness of the competitions there in & being praised for it. Joke.

Think this is spot on.

If City do indeed add Kane and Grealish they might get 100 points again next season, even if they have an injury crisis. We could get 90 and not really even be in the race past March or so.

All we can do is worry about ourselves, though. I do have every faith that we will be over 85 points next season, barring another crazy injury crisis or some other unforeseen problem. Which is about all we can do, and then hope that somehow City run into a crisis of their own and we can nick it.

If we don't get a midfielder on par or above Ginis level I think we are a weaker side than last season. Keita and Ox are no cover they are both unreliable and to be honest fairly poor even by their own standards. We'd be stronger having our centre backs back but we weren't playing great for a long time before the injuries it was more by hook or crook and sheer force of will we would win games until eventually it was just a step too much. In my opinion the side needs change mostly with fresh legs and options. I think the team itself needs that booster of optimism, we mean business. I heard talk of Konate being our only transfer in personally I dont believe it but if it was true I think it would be a top four battle rather than a title challenge.

I personally don't see how we can't be looking to replace Wijnaldum.

He was our most reliable midfielder by miles and we just don't have anyone even nearly as reliable.

You take his reliability out of us and we are weaker, quite a bit weaker.

• Upvote 1

We basically have Henderson, Fabinho and Thiago with Milner and Jones as rotation options. And in the case of the latter I'm not sure that Klopp trusts him to do all the boring shit off the ball yet.

So we've got a good first choice three, then a 35 year old and a kid as back up. 

Keita and AOC are a waste of space and we should be doing everything we can to fuck them off. Neither of them will ever stay fit enough to have a decent run in the side and actually get into some sort of form. Get rid, and sign someone at the level of the first choice three.

• Upvote 5

I'm not so sure being injury prone is the same thing as being shit. With a good run of games any of our fringe midfielders might play themselves into form. Yes I want a midfielder in still but I'd possibly prioritise a forward with Afcon

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

We basically have Henderson, Fabinho and Thiago with Milner and Jones as rotation options. And in the case of the latter I'm not sure that Klopp trusts him to do all the boring shit off the ball yet.

So we've got a good first choice three, then a 35 year old and a kid as back up. 

Keita and AOC are a waste of space and we should be doing everything we can to fuck them off. Neither of them will ever stay fit enough to have a decent run in the side and actually get into some sort of form. Get rid, and sign someone at the level of the first choice three.

Is right.

Henderson and Fabinho are not exactly ultra reliable on the availability front either.

Wijnaldum was pretty much an ever present in our side in his 6 seasons with us - you simply have to replace someone who is clearly that key that he was playing every week.

In his 6 seasons he played in the league:

38, 36, 33, 35, 37, 38

217 out of 228

95% of our games.

You can't just have that walk out and not be replaced.

24 minutes ago, an tha said:

Is right.

Henderson and Fabinho are not exactly ultra reliable on the availability front either.

Wijnaldum was pretty much an ever present in our side in his 6 seasons with us - you simply have to replace someone who is clearly that key that he was playing every week.

In his 6 seasons he played in the league:

38, 36, 33, 35, 37, 38

217 out of 228

95% of our games.

You can't just have that walk out and not be replaced.

Did Gini play for us for 6 years? I thought it was only 5! 

2 hours ago, Remmie said:

I'm not so sure being injury prone is the same thing as being shit. With a good run of games any of our fringe midfielders might play themselves into form. Yes I want a midfielder in still but I'd possibly prioritise a forward with Afcon

I agree. I completely appreciate the negativity towards Keita, he’s been such a disappointment. I do think the posts on Ox are a bit harsh. 

Playing central midfield, he looked a good signing before that freak injury v Roma.

Obviously missed all the next season and when he came back the year we won the league, he was mostly shifted out wide, where although not brilliant, he did contribute. He got the first goal in a couple of tight games and chalked up a few assists. He was excellent v Atletico at Anfield before lockdown.

Obviously another shitty injury and his return to fitness came while the whole side was in a rut. 

If he can avoid significant injury again (I know…) I still think there is a player in Ox. 

I can’t say I have the same faith in Keita. His career with us has been the same of 3 season - gets in the side, plays shite, form slowly improves, plays well in a game we cruise in, gets injured. In fact, he’s offered less each season he’s been with us. 

I don’t like feeling this way about one of our players, but after that Madrid debacle, but I’ve written him off. I think there likely is a good player in there, I just don’t think we’ll ever see it in red.

If our first choice midfield are Hendo, Fabinho and Thiago and supported by Ox, Milner, Jones and Keita, to me, that feels short. Quite a few injury prone players there and I think Milner will be Trents go to replacement. 

However, I agree that with the AFCON upcoming, another striker is the priority, which I suppose would allow us to play 4 up front in the couple of games they are away (Brentford H, Palace A, any FA Cup games and League Cup semis (Ha!) - I think they’ll be available for Chelsea).

• Upvote 2

Well if our players have proved to be unreliable what does that make Grealish and Kane? No better certainly. Is Kane better than Aguero? I don't think he is. Is Grealish better than Silva? Again, no. City exist on a different financial planet to the rest of us - and this may be the summer that scales truly fall from everybody else's eyes as to what they are about. The midst of a pandemic - no fans, every club in the country cutting costs and there they are spending £200m plus. 

I do hope the rumours of no more players are just that. I think that would be the height of hubris to think this team doesn't need a bit of a push. A midfielder and a versatile forward are exactly what we need. I'd be all over Berge if the rumours of £10m are correct - and Malen would be a great choice from what I have seen so far. I would like another Milner, someone who can fill in at right back, and midfield. 

6 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Well if our players have proved to be unreliable what does that make Grealish and Kane? No better certainly. Is Kane better than Aguero? I don't think he is. Is Grealish better than Silva? Again, no. City exist on a different financial planet to the rest of us - and this may be the summer that scales truly fall from everybody else's eyes as to what they are about. The midst of a pandemic - no fans, every club in the country cutting costs and there they are spending £200m plus. 

While I agree on the points about Aguero / Kane and Silva / Grealish, City won the league in a canter last season without Aguero really featuring and Silva having left the club. 

Although very good still, personally, I don’t think City are as good as the 100+ & 98 points seasons. I think supporters being back and hounding them and urging their own sides on next season will prove that. I also think there is potential that if City lose Sterling / Jesus / Laporte to sign Kane (as well as losing Aguero and Eric Garcia), they are potentially weakening their squad. 

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

While I agree on the points about Aguero / Kane and Silva / Grealish, City won the league in a canter last season without Aguero really featuring and Silva having left the club. 

Although very good still, personally, I don’t think City are as good as the 100+ & 98 points seasons. I think supporters being back and hounding them and urging their own sides on next season will prove that. I also think there is potential that if City lose Sterling / Jesus / Laporte to sign Kane (as well as losing Aguero and Eric Garcia), they are potentially weakening their squad. 

They lost 6 games though! They were far from the dominant side of 2017-19 - pundits reflex to lavish them with praise was ridiculous. They won a flawed league with a flawed team - nothing about last year was normal and for a team with an abnormal squad they were able to roll with the punches better, that is all. I think if Sterling goes, Jesus and Laporte then yes they are - Ake is painfully shit, so suddenly he is 3rd choice. Sterling is a great player - and I'd rather TAA faces Grealish than him. 

Lets see. Those on here presenting them with the trophy are pretty much the same ones who gave up in 2018.