You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

47 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

If I had my way we’d have old man Torres playing up front with Suarez and Alonso would be dicking about in the reserves and playing league cup games. The thing is, if Salah wants to go he will. 

of course if he wants to go, but there's reds queueing up to flog him to have a sniff of a few quid to get something new and shiny. i don't think anyone disputes if salah wants to go, he probably will. the issue is do we really want to flog him in order to just buy some players. we should be able to do that without selling him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LFC 6 Times said:

The idea of selling Salah is up there with the stupidest of things I’ve ever read/heard. I think many at those Trump rallies & those who stormed Capitol Hill would even deduce that would be unwise. 

We simply have to sell one of the front three this summer. We absolutely cannot risk going into 2022 with all of them entering their 30s at the same time. I mean, if we were City and could afford to buy 60m players without selling anyone, then sure, it'd be great to just keep all three and then buy another Jota-type to fill in as they decline.

But as it is, they're just too close on the aging curve. Swapping Salah or Mane for Sancho, to take one example, would allow us to then not have that sword hanging over us. And Sancho shows every sign that he could be at Salah's level as early as a season or two from now.

People act like Salah is going to remain at the current level for another 3 years! Aging is simply a fact of life, and he will never be as good again as he is now.

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Do I want Salah to go? No. 

Would I sell Salah in the summer if it meant Mbappe coming in? Yes. 

Nobody else though. 

Mbappe looks like he could be a Klopp hug away from entering another stratosphere. He also looks like he could be a mega contract away from going on the piss and spit roasting french models without fulfilling his footy potential. Preferably he does the Klopp hug then the piss up/spit roasting on Madrid’s time. Either way I’d prefer Haaland, not that either is remotely likely.

It's moot because we're not getting him, but part of the appeal with Mbappé is how young he is. As it is, he's not the best player at his own club, but it's about how much better could he become at a club where there are real expectations. PSG are not a real big club.

The thing about selling Salah is you'd have to know that he's in decline, which he isn't, and secondly you'd have to know you could replace the goals, which unless you get a truly great player to replace him, you can't really know that.

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

We simply have to sell one of the front three this summer. We absolutely cannot risk going into 2022 with all of them entering their 30s at the same time. I mean, if we were City and could afford to buy 60m players without selling anyone, then sure, it'd be great to just keep all three and then buy another Jota-type to fill in as they decline.

But as it is, they're just too close on the aging curve. Swapping Salah or Mane for Sancho, to take one example, would allow us to then not have that sword hanging over us. And Sancho shows every sign that he could be at Salah's level as early as a season or two from now.

People act like Salah is going to remain at the current level for another 3 years! Aging is simply a fact of life, and he will never be as good again as he is now.

Mbappe and Haaland are out the equation, FSG won't spend that kind of money even if we sell 1 of our front 3 to fund it, personally Salah and Mane are unsellable we couldn't replace them but Bobby is a different beast I'd cash in on him we should still get £35-40 million for him were linked with the kid from Sporting £25m ish they are quoting bring him in as back up play Jota with the other 2.

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Messi, Ronaldo and Lewandowski are doing ok. All well over 30. 

Because they look after themselves, in a completely different way than even the most dedicated pros did only 10-15 years ago.

Mo is doing exactly the same and no reason he wont be able to perform at the same level well into his 30s.

Basically we aren't capable of replacing Mane and Salah with players of their quality. There are only a handful in world football and the owners aren't going to pay what it would cost. 

I don't see why both can't still be top class players at 31/32, but possibly not much beyond that. Contract situation and diminishing resale value will determine that both will almost certainly go over the next 12-24 months. We absolutely can't allow them both to leave in the same window although, if we finish about 8th this season you could understand them wanting to move to a club with more ambitious owners. Both would improve every single side in world football. 

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

Basically we aren't capable of replacing Mane and Salah with players of their quality. There are only a handful in world football and the owners aren't going to pay what it would cost. 

I don't see why both can't still be top class players at 31/32, but possibly not much beyond that. Contract situation and diminishing resale value will determine that both will almost certainly go over the next 12-24 months. We absolutely can't allow them both to leave in the same window although, if we finish about 8th this season you could understand them wanting to move to a club with more ambitious owners. Both would improve every single side in world football. 

Jota's already a potential Mané replacement. In position and potentially in quality.

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Jota's already a potential Mané replacement. In position and potentially in quality.

I sincerely hope no-one at the club thinks that. 

He's a had a good start, that's it, and we need more than three good forwards at the club. 

How many clubs could realistically sign Mane do you reckon? 

Wouldn't go to City or PSG. Real Madrid if they can't get Mbappe? Bayern? That's probably about it. 

I think the sale of Salah is more likely because he'd probably go for more and I could see him at PSG. 

Mbappe to Real Madrid, Salah to PSG, Kubo to Liverpool on loan. 

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Is this not why we've bough Jota? For me he'd just gone past Bobby when he got injured. What we need to do is keep those 3, keep Jota. Sell Origi and add another of jota's profile and maybe add Elliot to the mix. I'd look to nail down Salah and mane to new contracts and maybe consider just running down bobbies. 

4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I sincerely hope no-one at the club thinks that. 

He's a had a good start, that's it, and we need more than three good forwards at the club. 

How many clubs could realistically sign Mane do you reckon? 

Wouldn't go to City or PSG. Real Madrid if they can't get Mbappe? Bayern? 

That's probably about it. 

I think the sale of Salah is more likely because he'd probably go for more and I could see him at PSG. 

I think if someone was ready to #slapthemoneyonthetable for Mané, the club would indeed think Jota is already a natural replacement. And I think that does at least make a bit of sense and then we could also buy another forward with the money we get from the transfer.

I don't know what club would pay from him, that's the issue. He's French speaking, I don't see PSG as an unrealistic option and to be fair there was meant to be concrete interest from Real Madrid, wasn't there. But yeah, that's the issue with discussing the potential transfer of some of our top players. It's hard to find many realistic suitors.

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think if someone was ready to #slapthemoneyonthetable for Mané, the club would indeed think Jota is already a natural replacement. And I think that does at least make a bit of sense and then we could also buy another forward with the money we get from the transfer.

I don't know what club would pay from him, that's the issue. He's French speaking, I don't see PSG as an unrealistic option and to be fair there was meant to be concrete interest from Real Madrid, wasn't there. But yeah, that's the issue with discussing the potential transfer of some of our top players. It's hard to find many realistic suitors.

I don't think he'd have any interest in playing in Ligue 1. I think it's one of the big two in Spain or he stays here for a few years by which point the potential suitors would include more clubs to reflect the fact he wouldn't be a world class forward any more. 

But yeah, generally, there aren't many options for these players which will be interesting because the owners will definitely not want to miss out on the cash from at least one of Salah and Mane. 

The horse has already bolted with Firmino.