manwiththestick

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

1 minute ago, Horus said:

Have no reason to believe an English kid coming home and playing in a successful team would want to uproot again in a few years, unless he ended up in average squad.

Either way, if he was the latest Real/Barca/PSG vanity product, we'd be getting more than our money back.

Liverpool isn't home. 

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

For the same money we’d be able to get Bamford and Raphinha and we’d be so much better for it.

Except we wouldn't be able to - doubt Leeds will sell anyone - they will be thinking about getting into Europe next season. No chance they sell both of those this summer.

Raphinha has a bunch of years left on his deal. There's no value to be found in that deal. If we want him, and he is the profile we usually look at, we'd have to mega overpay. He's not likely either.

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Except we wouldn't be able to - doubt Leeds will sell anyone - they will be thinking about getting into Europe next season. No chance they sell both of those this summer.

£80m would get both IMO.

You are talking about spending £80m on a player who isn't starting for us. 

33 minutes ago, Horus said:

You get Sancho if you've got a chance. If we don't get a couple of players who can carry the ball through the lines and commit defenders, then things are going to be grim next season. A signing that would likely see out the best years of is career here should be a no-brainer, but seems we've had a taste and now FSG think they've got another 30 years in the bank for us to win the odd cup. 

After the shit they pulled a couple of months ago, the fact they have the easiest lives of any owners is fucking laughable. 

Got a chance of what? Winning the league? Winning the Champions league? 

We've done both of them and built a team competing at the highest level for 3 years without signing a vanity sideshow. We spent on VVD and Alison and they are the best in the world. Nothing I have seen from Sancho suggests he is getting to that level in the next few years. 

Our model is Mane and Mo, and the proof of the pudding is in the eating. United need to spend £80m on Sancho, we don't. They'll benefit from spending that amount next season - we won't. 

All this talk about what 'we need' is just arrogant nonsense. We have won the league, we've clearly not 'needed' anything. You may like something else  - but that is on you - but we don't 'need' it. An evolution in the squad is fine for us at the moment. Maybe if some of our fans appreciated the world class talent up front we wouldn't be losing our shit because we are not getting an overpriced Chris Waddle. 

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

It’s easy to look good in the Bundesliga. Think Mkhitaryan. We don’t need to take the gamble IMO, whilst we have Jota, Salah and Mane.

Unfortunately we'll be trotting out Firmino, Mo, Sadio most games. We play a midfield 3 that doesn't get forward or carry the ball, we have a wide 2 that don't really have that in their games, and Firmino should be moved on to the bench or replaced. Sancho would be RF's replacement for me, with mo moving inside but having licence to roam.

In order to keep up with city, we had to play last 10 games run-in footie for whole seasons, and we desperately need some creativity and pace in there.

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Liverpool isn't home. 

Neither was Liverpool to Henderson if we want to play these pedantic games. 

5 minutes ago, Horus said:

Unfortunately we'll be trotting out Firmino, Mo, Sadio most games. We play a midfield 3 that doesn't get forward or carry the ball, we have a wide 2 that don't really have that in their games, and Firmino should be moved on to the bench or replaced. Sancho would be RF's replacement for me, with mo moving inside but having licence to roam.

In order to keep up with city, we had to play last 10 games run-in footie for whole seasons, and we desperately need some creativity and pace in there.

I agree we need another forward but Sancho isn’t it. He’s a winger and we have two world class wingers and Jota. I reckon what we need is a target in the box. Someone Trent and Robbo could aim at. Sancho isn’t that player. Mane Salah Bamford >>>> Mane Sancho Salah IMO

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Jockey said:

We didn't keep up with City. We left them in our wake. Mo has been near the top of the scoring charts for 4 years. 

And yet we've finished above them once in 3 years. Not really sure I'd call that being in our wake, but we're all different. 

If it’s true that we’re looking at raising £60m through sales then it shouldn’t be out of the realms of possibility that we’d be able to have a go at signing Sancho but we definitely won’t. Klopp would have to sell one of his most influential first teamers in the shape of Salah, Mane or Bobby to accommodate him and you just know he values squad harmony above all else.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Henderson was never going to be one of the 2 or 3 best players in the world. 

So you're agreeing with me on that bit? Good job we avoid him then. Who wants that caliber of player for either 10 years, or 5 years and a ridiculous fee? Why win twice when we can be happy with excuses instead? 

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I agree we need another forward but Sancho isn’t it. He’s a winger and we have two world class wingers and Jota. I reckon what we need is a target in the box. Someone Trent and Robbo could aim at. Sancho isn’t that player. Mane Salah Bamford >>>> Mane Sancho Salah IMO

Never change, mate.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I agree we need another forward but Sancho isn’t it. He’s a winger and we have two world class wingers and Jota. I reckon what we need is a target in the box. Someone Trent and Robbo could aim at. Sancho isn’t that player. 

I see some merit in this argument, but our team is just so set up in blocks these days, that unless we get players to break them, then we're a couple of seasons away from being in the kind of trouble that £20m net each season won't get close to fixing. We're not even in for the best strikers either, so what does that tell both of us? 

5 minutes ago, Horus said:

So you're agreeing with me on that bit? Good job we avoid him then. Who wants that caliber of player for either 10 years, or 5 years and a ridiculous fee? Why win twice when we can be happy with excuses instead? 

No.

1 minute ago, Horus said:

We're not even in for the best strikers either, so what does that tell both of us? 

That Klopp has already settled on his side and how they will play and is not looking outside the club at 100mil players to change.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Horus said:

And yet we've finished above them once in 3 years. Not really sure I'd call that being in our wake, but we're all different. 

We reached 2 championsnleague finals then won the league. We are different, I don't compare us to a club owned by a country. And he ain't going to City. I like our model. It has proven successful. 

I also don't dismiss our achievements these past years so I can complain about a player who may or may not amount to anything. 

Sancho doesn't get in our side. And the only way you can counter that is by shitting on the current team to make your point. 

Just now, Jockey said:

We reached 2 championsnleague finals then won the league. We are different I don't compare us to a club owned by a country. And he ain't going to City.

I also don't dismiss our achievements these past years so I can complain about a player who may or may not amount to anything. 

Sancho doesn't get in our side. And the only way you can counter that is by shifting on the current team to make your point. 

You're arguing against things I didn't say. 

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If you feel Henderson was ever the prospect Sancho is, go ahead.

No, I obviously don't, but this is where geography discussions on the ff gets us!