You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

2 hours ago, m0e said:

There is no way Barcelona offered half of what we did. Where is that from?

You're also forgetting the golden handshake Bosmans usually get.

Why isnt there a chance? I dont think Barcelona saw him as a stellar player, just a good player they could sign for free in their cash strapped situation. I dont know if they did or didnt and to be honest, Im not bothered whether they did or didnt. Yes, he probably would get a signing on fee. Loads seem to believe he was still on 70k a week 5 years after he signed for us as well.

2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

It sounds like Gini wanted parity with our top earners and we weren't prepared to offer him that. If it's true that he is still on the original 70k a week contract we gave him in 2016, then I understand why he would be pissed off. The likes of Keita,Ox, Lovren and Lallana were earning more than him despite not playing anywhere near as much. 

Dunno what he.was looking for, but I was told he was offered about 120k this time. I'm not too sure how that compares to others. He'd be off his head if he thought he was going to get us to match what we pay the front 3, Henderson or vvd. But he should be in the tier off that imo, especially as he's in the leadership team or whatever we call it. 

1 hour ago, Dr Nowt said:

Wonder why we didn’t try to renew him 2 or 3 years back, to avoid all this difficult to give longer-term contracts to players in their 30’s thing, because his contract would have ultimately run out at around age 33. He’d have presumably been more open to a shorter extension at that age. Or maybe we did try to as far back as then. Love to know what the respective wage counter suggestions were during negotiations, if so.

See below! 

40 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Reckon the thinking was that Keita or Ox would displace him in in the team and we would sell him

Yeah I was just about to say that, I reckon we bought keita in, he was an early refresh for Gini and we figured by the time we needed to extend his deal either we'd let his contract run or he'd be fringe and wouldn't demand too much to extend. 

42 minutes ago, m0e said:

He hasn't taken any deal, has he?

And if its twice what was on offer, then surely that's the other way round.

Or did you mean half of what was on offer?

Barcelona press put out he had agreed a deal half of what was on offer, nowhere did it say half of Liverpools offer. Inter offered him alot of money so the chances are that he accepted a offer from Barcelona that was half of his biggest offer(likely from Inter). There is no way he has accepted a offer half of what ever we offered. 

38 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Barcelona press put out he had agreed a deal half of what was on offer, nowhere did it say half of Liverpools offer. Inter offered him alot of money so the chances are that he accepted a offer from Barcelona that was half of his biggest offer(likely from Inter). There is no way he has accepted a offer half of what ever we offered. 

Yeah, I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

Their fans know they're broke, and are used to marquee signings (of which Gini is not), so I'd say that was more to appease them.

Either way, there is absolutely no way he's getting the same or less at PSG that he would have got here, even not considering his signing off fee or the length (and hence value) of his contract.

Not a chance in hell.

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Why would you post stuff from a random Twitter account?

Because it’s the transfer forum thread, I’d already caveat the potential accuracy (or lack of) the post & it prompts discussion.

If you Google “Gravenberch Liverpool” it seems we have been linked with him before. 

I’ve no idea if Gravenberch is any good. I’ve read he’s highly rated. 

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Why isnt there a chance? I dont think Barcelona saw him as a stellar player, just a good player they could sign for free in their cash strapped situation. I dont know if they did or didnt and to be honest, Im not bothered whether they did or didnt. Yes, he probably would get a signing on fee. Loads seem to believe he was still on 70k a week 5 years after he signed for us as well.

Agree with that.

I wanted know where you got the info that the offer was half what we offered.

I haven't seen that anywhere.

The only way that can be right is if he had double the contract length and/or a massive signing on fee.

Otherwise he'd have stayed, surely?!

Of course, he could have also used the Barcelona rumour to get PSG to cough up.

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Because it’s the transfer forum thread, I’d already caveat the potential accuracy (or lack of) the post & it prompts discussion.

If you Google “Gravenberch Liverpool” it seems we have been linked with him before. 

I’ve no idea if Gravenberch is any good. I’ve read he’s highly rated. 

It doesn't prompt anything because it's a shit source. Don't we know by now who the good sources are? If everyone posted shite from random Twitter accounts, this thread would have 1000 pages of false rumours.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It doesn't prompt anything because it's a shit source. Don't we know by now who the good sources are? If everyone posted shite from random Twitter accounts, this thread would have 1000 pages of false rumours.

We’ll, we on 100 pages now and we’re only into June...

Look back at any transfer thread and there are discussions about players we won’t / don’t sign. The January thread had pages about James Tarkowski! 

I caveated the post (I don’t know how reliable the poster is...) and subsequently mentioned we have been linked with him before.

If you don’t like it, ignore it. 

Alternatively, you could help prompt discussion by saying Gravenberch is a good young player, a Dutch international, highly rated and would be a good long term replacement for Wijnaldum. Or something.

I don't know if the sources linking us to Gravenberch are worth anything, but it's a reasonable link to make, honestly. He profiles very well statistically and would be a logical replacement of sorts for Gini, though it would be better if he were 22 and about to come into his prime rather than a couple of years away still.

The other logical link that we're seeing out there is to Dusan Vlahovic from Fiorentina. Again, no real sources saying anything (other than Futbol Talk and the Daily Star, garbage sources like that) but the link makes perfect sense. Young player, 0.48 xG/90, potential future star, probably get him for around 35m, it seems logical.

Daka similar to be honest. We're doing a good job of keeping everything behind closed doors but surely we'll buy another player or two and it seems reasonable for rags to be linking everyone that fits the sort of profile we'll be after. I wouldn't be at all surprised if our window ended up being Konate, Gravenberch, and one of Daka/Vlahovic.

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

We’ll, we on 100 pages now and we’re only into June...

Look back at any transfer thread and there are discussions about players we won’t / don’t sign. The January thread had pages about James Tarkowski! 

I caveated the post (I don’t know how reliable the poster is...) and subsequently mentioned we have been linked with him before.

If you don’t like it, ignore it. 

Alternatively, you could help prompt discussion by saying Gravenberch is a good young player, a Dutch international, highly rated and would be a good long term replacement for Wijnaldum. Or something.

You didn't even talk about the player, you posted some random cunt's tweet and asked if he was reliable.

Talk about random players all you want, I do it too.

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You didn't even talk about the player, you posted some random cunt's tweet and asked if he was reliable.

Talk about random players all you want, I do it too.

I didn’t talk about him because I know nothing about him apart from what I’ve subsequently followed up with.

I can’t give an opinion on him because I have no opinion of him 

I was leaving it up to others who know more about the Dutch league and players to follow up on the players quality.

I’ve only highlighted the link and we’ve been linked before, which others are now following up on. 

6 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

I’m hearing talk that Scott_M is to the Eredivisie what Stacksy is to Ligue 1. Here we go!

Quite the opposite. I’m looking for somebody else to be an expert on the Eredivisie!

Last time I watched any of the Eredivisie was when Kuyt scored a hat-trick and won Feyenord the league. 

I do think Grevenberch played against us in the CL last season, but I don’t remember him. 

8 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Gini: "I would have loved to remain a Liverpool player for many more years, but unfortunately things went differently. I have to start a new adventure. The fans deserve to know the story behind it.”

Love Gini but I suspect the 'story' is fairly clear-cut; he's going on 31 and PSG will pay him more than double what we would.

I hope he gets as much money as possible wherever he goes and spends the rest of his life smiling

monophy.gif

• Upvote 7