You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

11 hours ago, Street Preacher said:

Aston Villa love splashing the cash. And considering we keep hearing that the Pandemic hit finances and we are going to see reduced fees, £38m for a Norwich player is a hell of a lot of money. 

I think this is probably because Grealish is off to City/United.

Guest Alex_K

Gini: "I would have loved to remain a Liverpool player for many more years, but unfortunately things went differently. I have to start a new adventure. The fans deserve to know the story behind it.”

Love Gini but I suspect the 'story' is fairly clear-cut; he's going on 31 and PSG will pay him more than double what we would.

6 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Spending his last few working years in Paris earning double his wages, thought he was better than that.

Why? It's a perfectly rationale decision. He'll win a few more trophies, get to live in a city catered for the rich and earn enough to secure his grandkids future.

28 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Gini: "I would have loved to remain a Liverpool player for many more years, but unfortunately things went differently. I have to start a new adventure. The fans deserve to know the story behind it.”

Love Gini but I suspect the 'story' is fairly clear-cut; he's going on 31 and PSG will pay him more than double what we would.

More than double what Barcelona were offering not double what we offered. It was claimed Barcelona offered HALF what we did so PSG are likely offering him the same as we did except on a 3year deal.

That said, he's going to the French League which no disrespect, isnt a patch on the PL.

Guest Alex_K
4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

More than double what Barcelona were offering not double what we offered. It was claimed Barcelona offered HALF what we did so PSG are likely offering him the same as we did except on a 3year deal.

That said, he's going to the French League which no disrespect, isnt a patch on the PL.

Yeah .. I call bullshit on that one. Wijnaldum was not going to finish his professional career with a 50% paycut, if Barcelona was the intended destination. Clearly if the salary was less, other financial incentives were involved.

Guest Alex_K

And yeah - chill in Paris for a few years, play in a CL Semi/Final calibre team, get paid a ton of money. What's not to love.

18 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Yeah .. I call bullshit on that one. Wijnaldum was not going to finish his professional career with a 50% paycut, if Barcelona was the intended destination. Clearly if the salary was less, other financial incentives were involved.

Yeah you call bullshit but glibly claim PSG offered twice what we were. Talk about selective.

And if he wants to play in the acknowledged weakest of the top 5 European Leagues, good for him.

Guest Alex_K
32 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah you call bullshit but glibly claim PSG offered twice what we were. Talk about selective.

And if he wants to play in the acknowledged weakest of the top 5 European Leagues, good for him.

?? Do you really think FSG-owned Liverpool FC offered a 31 year old midfielder the same per annum pay-packet (factoring in salary, bonus etc.) as Paris St Germain? Or that Wijnaldum was alternatively going to take his final professional career contract at a 50% pay-cut? I mean, come on, use some common sense.

53 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

And yeah - chill in Paris for a few years, play in a CL Semi/Final calibre team, get paid a ton of money. What's not to love.

He'll get further in the CL with PSG than he will with this Barcelona team. And as the league is gentler, as he ages it will be less strain on his body. I'd have understood him going to Barca for less money because of the Dutch connection to Barcelona, but I don't see how anyone can't see PSG is a great destination for him and he'll get properly paid - which by all accounts, while he was earning more in a week than most people in a year, he wasn't exactly smashing it compared to his team mates here. I don't blame him for wanting to get quids in, while playing at an elite CL level. Good luck to him I say. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

He'll get further in the CL with PSG than he will with this Barcelona team. And as the league is gentler, as he ages it will be less strain on his body. I'd have understood him going to Barca for less money because of the Dutch connection to Barcelona, but I don't see how anyone can't see PSG is a great destination for him and he'll get properly paid - which by all accounts, while he was earning more in a week than most people in a year, he wasn't exactly smashing it compared to his team mates here. I don't blame him for wanting to get quids in, while playing at an elite CL level. Good luck to him I say. 

This.

Plus, he'll likely get a more attacking role.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

There is no way Barcelona offered half of what we did. Where is that from?

You're also forgetting the golden handshake Bosmans usually get.

It sounds like Gini wanted parity with our top earners and we weren't prepared to offer him that. If it's true that he is still on the original 70k a week contract we gave him in 2016, then I understand why he would be pissed off. The likes of Keita,Ox, Lovren and Lallana were earning more than him despite not playing anywhere near as much. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

It sounds like Gini wanted parity with our top earners and we weren't prepared to offer him that. If it's true that he is still on the original 70k a week contract we gave him in 2016, then I understand why he would be pissed off. The likes of Keita,Ox, Lovren and Lallana were earning more than him despite not playing anywhere near as much. 

That must enrage players. It's like somebody from work that's useless and is constantly off sick earning a lot more than you do, when you rarely have a day off and contribute far more.

• Upvote 2

Wonder why we didn’t try to renew him 2 or 3 years back, to avoid all this difficult to give longer-term contracts to players in their 30’s thing, because his contract would have ultimately run out at around age 33. He’d have presumably been more open to a shorter extension at that age. Or maybe we did try to as far back as then. Love to know what the respective wage counter suggestions were during negotiations, if so.

1 hour ago, m0e said:

There is no way Barcelona offered half of what we did. Where is that from?

You're also forgetting the golden handshake Bosmans usually get.

The article said he took a deal from Barcelona twice what was on offer. The offer was never stated to be from us and it was well reported that Inter offered him a big deal. 

53 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Wonder why we didn’t try to renew him 2 or 3 years back, to avoid all this difficult to give longer-term contracts to players in their 30’s thing, because his contract would have ultimately run out at around age 33. He’d have presumably been more open to a shorter extension at that age. Or maybe we did try to as far back as then. Love to know what the respective wage counter suggestions were during negotiations, if so.

Reckon the thinking was that Keita or Ox would displace him in in the team and we would sell him

2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

It sounds like Gini wanted parity with our top earners and we weren't prepared to offer him that. If it's true that he is still on the original 70k a week contract we gave him in 2016, then I understand why he would be pissed off. The likes of Keita,Ox, Lovren and Lallana were earning more than him despite not playing anywhere near as much.  being shit.

Agreed.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The article said he took a deal from Barcelona twice what was on offer. The offer was never stated to be from us and it was well reported that Inter offered him a big deal. 

He hasn't taken any deal, has he?

And if its twice what was on offer, then surely that's the other way round.

Or did you mean half of what was on offer?