You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

7 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Without getting all Liverpool Echo here, Kelleher just like Jones and Elliott could be genuinely top players in a few years. I agree with you, we need a genuinely decent number 2 like Foster or Romero if we loan Kelleher. Maybe one of the young lads and a goalie of that experience as number 2.

For the long term, Kelleher having a season on loan in the premier league or one of the top European leagues would surely make sense, but if we are stuck with Adrian as number 2, then that's a serious worry for next season. I'd like to see Kelleher make a mistake or two and recover from it elsewhere, because that is the difference between a good/very good keeper and a great one like Ali. The players and management clearly like him a lot and I think he could be top class but a goalie's attitude and ability to come through a rough patch is probably more important than any other position on the pitch with the exception of maybe a record signing striker.

I don't know how good all the other young keepers we have are. We seem to have hundreds of them. I wasn't expecting much from Kelleher when he came in and while he didn't really have much to do, he was calm, competent and most of all didn't effectively score for the other team! He did the basics right, could use the ball well, which is what you need from a number 2.  The flip side to loaning him is he has a blinding season somewhere and then we need to find a new number 2 as he wants to move and being Ali's deputy is of no interest to him. Let's be real, the only way he'll play is if Ali wants to move or has a de gea style drop off.  Finding a quality keeper who knows he will never play I think is really tough unless you pay them massively. That's ok with me, but I'm not sure about the bean counters. 

I’d keep Kelleher as close to Klopp as possible. Keepers live or die on their mentality and being with Klopp can only help build that side of his game. If we do want him to go and get 40 league games under his belt then I suppose we could hit up Stevie. McGregor is getting on and I couldn’t think of a bigger club to send him to up there.

• Upvote 1

The biggest problem with Adrian is that his style of goalkeeping is so different to Ali that it really causes problems defensively. Kelleher is a much more natural replacement, but I can see the benefit of sending him out on loan for a year.

We need to ensure that we bring someone in that is similar in style to Alisson. I am disappointed that we are renewing Adrian's contract. 

2 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

The biggest problem with Adrian is that his style of goalkeeping is so different to Ali that it really causes problems defensively. Kelleher is a much more natural replacement, but I can see the benefit of sending him out on loan for a year.

We need to ensure that we bring someone in that is similar in style to Alisson. I am disappointed that we are renewing Adrian's contract. 

Do you really think it's just his style? Perhaps we disagree on what's deemed as style. For me that's all about the choices they make. When to come out, when to hold back, when to catch, when to punch. For me Adrian can save some shots. He's fucking shit with his feet and will make tons of mistakes. He's also a line keeper, but that's the only style part of his game that causes us problems because of choice, the rest is normally just because he's not very good. For me his real issue is he just costs us games because his quality isn't that of a keeper at the level we play. If he was a decent goalie, I think we could get on with him not being able to come off his line. 

Naopoli fullback Hysaj is reportedly out of contract and on a free. Seen some of the Twattorati are saying we are pursuing him as RB and LB cover. Know nothing about him but he looks an able deputy for Trent going forward on YouTube.

38 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Naopoli fullback Hysaj is reportedly out of contract and on a free. Seen some of the Twattorati are saying we are pursuing him as RB and LB cover. Know nothing about him but he looks an able deputy for Trent going forward on YouTube.

To much like common sense, a good player him.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Sell Tsimikas, still have cover for both full back positions and £10m in the kitty for other positions. 

Edwards. 

Why would you sell Tsimikas? What does that achieve? You can't quit on a player after one season because he was injured and because Klopp felt compelled to only play trusty Robertson during a rotten season.

Also, having a right footed player like Hysaj on the left, who isn't that good technically, like say Milner was, would be a terrible idea.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Why would you sell Tsimikas? What does that achieve? You can't quit on a player after one season because he was injured and because Klopp felt compelled to only play trusty Robertson during a rotten season.

Also, having a right footed player like Hysaj on the left, who isn't that good technically, like say Milner was, would be a terrible idea.

I'm sure there's bigger issue in bombing Kostas than all that. We'd want our money back. We wouldn't get it. So clearly he's here next season, regardless of anything else. 

I can't say after the season we've had with injuries I'm too excited about keeping a lad who has barely made himself available. But it's one we probably need to suck up and get on with and hope it's been a bad year. There's more concerning issues than backup left back. 

I suspect a large part of the reason Klopp played Robbo all the time rather than use Tsimikas from time to time was that the defence was already decimated to the point where the only experience we had was in the full back positions. Playing Tsimikas in that situation isn't exactly fair to him. He's not 'inexperienced' in terms of the number of games he's played, but he's inexperienced in terms of our set up and how to be effective in a critical position. If we had no issues at centre back, but Klopp still decided not to use Tsimikas, then maybe you can say the player is either not rated or not ready. The Greek's fitness issues thanks firstly to Covid and then injury didn't help, nor did the fact that pretty much all our games in these past few months were in the balance until very late on, when Klopp would already have made changes in order to try and get something out of those games. He needed game time to settle, and the opportunity was just never there.

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Loads more talk we aren't signing any more players and instead focusing on contracts again. What the fuck are these cunts like 

Saw someone on Twatter saying Chelsea will reward Tuchel with £200m transfer funds for winning the Champions League. FSG rewarded Klopp with Adrian, Sepp Van Den Berg and Harvey Elliot in 2019. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Honestly we won't pay Gini what he's worth but offer that fucking clown Adrian another one. Do we have the dumbest cunts on the planet running our club

No, just the tightest. 

I am weirdly hopeful that we will get 2 or 3 more players but I reserve the right to be a hysterical fanny if we don't by the end of August 

41 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Loads more talk we aren't signing any more players and instead focusing on contracts again. What the fuck are these cunts like 

Loads of talk we are signing Daka, Hysaj, Tielemans as well. I suspect you skipped over that 'talk. 

43 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Honestly we won't pay Gini what he's worth but offer that fucking clown Adrian another one. Do we have the dumbest cunts on the planet running our club

Jesus! This is why I don't want fans running the club. 

10 hours ago, m0e said:

He's third choice. And not a bad one at that.

What would you do instead?

This. You're going to struggle to get in a top level keeper who'll be happy to play close to zero games all season. 

Most third choice keepers are either journeymen coming to the end of their careers or younger, inexperienced keepers.