You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

3 minutes ago, redheart said:

Football clubs dont sell debts in this way

Why?

If a club cannot pay its football debts it is not allowed to but any more players etc.

I think butting players is banned regardless mate, even though some deserve it 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I think butting players is banned regardless mate, even though some deserve it 

It's the etc that should be of most concern after not being able to but. 

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

That debt sale thing with Coutinho surely isn’t true.

I struggle to believe we’ve sold the debt to a 3rd Party to reclaim.

Given areas of my wider team at work look at debt sale, assets of it are sold for like 5p in every pound and if the outsourced company get a money back, the money is split in their favour.

I’m not saying for a second we wrote off £40m to get £800k back, if we did it, I’m sure if true, it would have been on way better terms than that, I fundamentally don’t believe it’s true. 

You're mixing up chasing bad debt with factoring. Factoring is a methodology to get your money earlier used by companies of all sizes. Yes, the factoring company take an amount but on a £140m transfer fee, Id wager there was a degree of negotiation.

It's more likely the club agreed a flat fee of £5m-£10m which in the scheme of things, isnt a lot.

Honestly cannot get with some of the Coutinho comments.

His best two seasons (13 and 14) he played far more, and more effectively, in the midfield as opposed to wide left. At the time he had a good off the ball workrate and wasn't one to shy away from challenges - he certainly won his fair share of tackles. The little fella would square up to anyone.

That player would be absolutely ideal for us now - he just isn't that player anymore.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

That debt sale thing with Coutinho surely isn’t true.

I struggle to believe we’ve sold the debt to a 3rd Party to reclaim.

Given areas of my wider team at work look at debt sale, assets of it are sold for like 5p in every pound and if the outsourced company get a money back, the money is split in their favour.

I’m not saying for a second we wrote off £40m to get £800k back, if we did it, I’m sure if true, it would have been on way better terms than that, I fundamentally don’t believe it’s true. 

iirc we took a hit of about £8 mill on them buying the debt off us 

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

His best two seasons (13 and 14) he played far more, and more effectively, in the midfield as opposed to wide left. At the time he had a good off the ball workrate and wasn't one to shy away from challenges - he certainly won his fair share of tackles. The little fella would square up to anyone.

That player would be absolutely ideal for us now - he just isn't that player anymore.

Mate, Thiago, an excellent ball winner, left us wide open at times. Coutinho would be like playing with 9 men. Even the Coutinho of 5 years ago.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Surely that is one season? And he wasn't really trusted at the end - he was on the bench against Palace and that is with Henderson out. He certainly never pulled up any trees the 14/15 season. Nobody else did to be fair - but Sterling was the one who City come calling for. 

5 minutes ago, Jockey said:

He certainly never pulled up any trees the 14/15 season.

Final table:
1. Coutinho...................13MOM.........72nd.......53rd............................91
2. Sterling.......................8MOM.........62nd........53rd...........................63

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Final table:
1. Coutinho...................13MOM.........72nd.......53rd............................91
2. Sterling.......................8MOM.........62nd........53rd...........................63

I'm not sure that is official! Sterling was the better player that season - he carried us for large parts. Coutinho struggled to start at the beginning of the season. 

3 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:
I hope they all go, City sign Kane and Grealish but end up with an imbalance that results in Pap trying to outsmart the opposition in next season’s Champions League quarter-final by playing three goalkeepers outfield.

Anything in this?

Would add further spice to our fixtures with them next term.

https://www.espn.com.au/football/soccer-transfers/story/4398653/manchester-city-consider-real-madrids-sergio-ramos-on-two-year-deal-sources

49 minutes ago, Jockey said:

I'm not sure that is official! Sterling was the better player that season - he carried us for large parts. Coutinho struggled to start at the beginning of the season. 

Certainly biased by Sterling acting the cunt for half the season.