You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

11 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Have you actually watched Bamford play? 

He plays a completely different role to Bobby, the only thing you could argue is the same is they nominally play (actually start) centrally in a front 3. 

Bamford would struggle to get on the bench here let alone fucking outperform Bobby. 

Bobby plays up front for us but he doesn’t score goals so people make up a hyper-specific role to excuse for the lack of goals. At any other big club he would’ve been let go. People should really stop making excuses for him, and call it as it is. Bamford would’ve been our second highest scorer last year, I doubt Klopp would’ve benched him. He made the same number of assists as Bobby too on top of his goals. 

• Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Bobby plays up front for us but he doesn’t score goals so people make up a hyper-specific role to excuse for the lack of goals. At any other big club he would’ve been let go. People should really stop making excuses for him, and call it as it is. Bamford would’ve been our second highest scorer last year, I doubt Klopp would’ve benched him. He made the same number of assists as Bobby too on top of his goals. 

He doesn't. And I didn't realise "attacking midfielder" was a hyper-specific role at all these days, but never mind.

7 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

He doesn't. And I didn't realise "attacking midfielder" was a hyper-specific role at all these days, but never mind.

I wasn’t referring to you specifically before. I agree that he’s a natural AM. I’d like to see him behind a proper number 9 in a 4-2-3-1. 

On 02/09/2021 at 13:17, dockers_strike said:

According to the Echo, Fenerbache showing strong interest in Origi. Althought the English window has closed, it's open to 8 Spetember in Turkey.

What the fuck happened to FIFA \ UEFA standardising the football calendar?

I'm sure they'll get down to it once they've finished taking cash from Qatar for a mid season World Cup

On 02/09/2021 at 14:59, BeefStroganoff said:

Lottery please Meow.

2, 9, 18, 26, 35, 46

I'll take 30% if they come up. 

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

I’m okay with your dad not rating him, you’ve told me that a number of times, but you gotta give me more than that surely.  My wife’s uncle is a match going Leeds fan who lives in Exeter and he’s a big fan of Bamford, so where do we go from here?

You thought Harry Maguire would be a good signing. I've barely seen Bamford play, but I'm going to have to go with him being a bad idea. 

22 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Who's making up a role? He's played essentially the same way for a solid 4-5 years. It's as definable a role as you'll ever see. The only thing that's changed is his goal output, probably related to the fact we aren't the all out attacking juggernaut we once were and also maybe a personal decline.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Who's making up a role? He's played essentially the same way for a solid 4-5 years. It's as definable a role as you'll ever see. The only thing that's changed is his goal output, probably related to the fact we aren't the all out attacking juggernaut we once were and also maybe a personal decline.

Those saying it’s not his job to score goals. 

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Those saying it’s not his job to score goals. 

That is a bit of a bad excuse, he shouldn't be the worse finisher in the league, although he does more work than most forwards in the world, so his lack of cutting edge is a bit understandable at times.

But to be fair, you've never really understood what the point of our front 3 is and their positioning, so it's the same thing with you. You ignore certain things and make weird arguments all the same.

16 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Since then Hull sold him to Leicester for £12m and then he became the most expensive defender ever.

I know you're not a massive fan of nuance in positions but given we seem to exclusively target tall pacey centre backs who are good in the air (to facilitate the high line we prefer to play) what singles out Maguire as a good fit?

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

Bamford would struggle to get on the bench here let alone fucking outperform Bobby. 

Nah, he'd be a great option to have in the squad. As for outperforming Bobby, well it depends which Bobby turns up, because we never know these days do we? Good Bobby I wouldn't swap for anyone. Bad Bobby? Yeah I'm taking Bamford all day long.

That's not me saying we should sign him by the way, because he wouldn't be worth what we'd have to pay. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

That’s just not true I’m afraid. Bamford last season was better than Bobby, by some distance too. Bamford scored 17 goals in the PL last season, just one shy of Bobby’s total goals in the previous TWO seasons combined. I don’t really care about the cost. We made a profit in the last window. Spend the cash on Bamford.

Bamford is 27. Forget about last season and look at his career prior to that. He couldn't hold down a place in the Palace, Burnley or Norwich team in the Premier League. He has improved and had a decent record in the Championship at Middlesbrough and again at Leeds and had the best season of his career last season, but was it really good enough to justify a move to us? I don't see it at all personally. I think Leeds seems a good fit for him. 

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Bamford is as far away from a donkey as you can find. Have you seen him play much? He’s got lovely technique… there were question marks over his ability to score consistently at the top level, but he proved himself last year. 

He’s a professional footballer so I’d hope to see some decent clips in a highlight reel spanning what looks like most of his career to date. If you pieced together my best goals from Monday 5-a-side I’d look pretty decent too.

I’ve only ever seen Bamford play when Leeds are on TV and he can go from the sublime to ridiculous in a single 90 mins. I’ve seen balls bounce off him that should have stuck, miss numerous sitters and then he’ll go and score a cracker.

There’s nothing you can say or show me that will convince me that he’s anywhere near good enough for us. His career numbers and the fact he’s never been linked to a ‘big’ club should be proof enough.

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Nah, he'd be a great option to have in the squad. As for outperforming Bobby, well it depends which Bobby turns up, because we never know these days do we? Good Bobby I wouldn't swap for anyone. Bad Bobby? Yeah I'm taking Bamford all day long.

That's not me saying we should sign him by the way, because he wouldn't be worth what we'd have to pay. 

You need to watch him more Dave, he’s fucking atrocious. 

Bamford that is, not Bobby. 

He’d never suit us. 

• Upvote 1