You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

We are in the same position we have been the past 3 years. We can go toe to toe with anyone first 14/15 players after than we don't have close to the depth of the other 3. With luck with injuries we should still compete, but can't see a domestic cup run. 

Looking forward to Klopp running them all into the ground then crying at Christmas about fixture congestion after bringing no cunt in, great times ahead.

Imagine the targets we would have missed out and how much of an affect it would have had on us if we never finished 3rd……

Contract renewal FC

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lee909 said:

We are in the same position we have been the past 3 years. We can go toe to toe with anyone first 14/15 players after than we don't have close to the depth of the other 3. With luck with injuries we should still compete, but can't see a domestic cup run. 

While I was of that opinion in past years, I don't necessarily agree with that for this season. Its more like 18 or 19 players now.

We are short at right back cover and 2 for the 3 positions up front but other than that I'd be happy if any of the others played 5/6 games. 

Just my opinion but we have capable goalkeeper cover in Kelleher 

Tsimikas is fine at LB

Gomez and Konate are as good as if not better than the sub CBs of the other top 4 teams

Milner Elliot Jones Keita and AOC can all cover if we lose 1 or 2 of Fabinho/Henderson/Thiago. 

However, Jota is the only one I'd be confident can fill in for our "famed" front 3. 

We are all aware that we are 1 or 2 forwards short (which most of us believe could cost us a title) and wouldnt want a 36 year old Milner or Williams filling in for Trent for too long but the squad is deeper than it ever has been in my opinion. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I can imagine driving an open-topped Lamborghini down Route 66 while Katy Perry licks my balls as her generous bosoms slip out of an ill-fitting dress. I can imagine a series of Michelin standard chefs bringing me course after course of marvellous dishes as I feast like a king watching the sun go down over Santorini. I can imagine sashaying through my 17 bedroom mansion in silk pyjamas while ornamental lions spit fire at my every step. However I cannot imagine the tight-fisted bastards who own this football club putting their hands in their pockets and shelling out for a world-class forward on transfer deadline day. 

Brilliant,  I could wank to that.

6 hours ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Does seem like a total shitshow. Jurgen has one arm behind his back for his last 2 seasons in charge. 

You think Klopp, who isn't shy about speaking his mind, would have stayed this circumspect about not being able to improve the team or squad for the last few seasons?

He's fully on board with how it all goes. Which makes his whinging about players and international matches a bit much.

The squad lists posted above do put a different spin on it. If you break it down window by window then arguably that squad has to get us through the next 12 weeks. 

A bit simplistic I know. Chuck  the champions league in and we will come up short up front at some point.

The obvious improvement is a big upgrade on Origi. 

Origi’s never been a first team regular, however the year we win in madrid he played an important role for us scoring some great goals that got us within an hour of winning the league and scoring the goal that clinched no 6.

Hes been treated like shite since, getting stuck on the left wing where everyone knows he’s limited or getting 2 minutes from the bench. 

The main worry is the rapid decline in Firmino, ox & Kieta these past few seasons and still keeping them here when all 3 of them should have been upgraded.

2 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Origi’s never been a first team regular, however the year we win in madrid he played an important role for us scoring some great goals that got us within an hour of winning the league and scoring the goal that clinched no 6.

Hes been treated like shite since, getting stuck on the left wing where everyone knows he’s limited or getting 2 minutes from the bench. 

The main worry is the rapid decline in Firmino, ox & Kieta these past few seasons and still keeping them here when all 3 of them should have been upgraded.

In an ideal World Origi would have been sold after the CL win alas only Wolves were in for him and he didn't want to go.  Like you say he hardly plays and when he does he's out on the wing. He's been here so long and will never be more than he is now so I get why he can't be fucked though he should really ove on. 

Firmino's decline has not been rapid it started 3 years ago.  Now Mane's that can be classed as rapid unless he suddenly remembers how to play football again.

8 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

The Top Red Challenge?

Yeah that's the one! You and the kids get to meet Mighty for a bit of lunch. For Mighty to actually converse with you, you are taken to the club shop first. You think you might get a jersey thrown in as part of the experience, until they tell you that as a perk of winning the challenge, they can do a special deal on the Origi jersey from the 2018/19 season - 5 jerseys for 160 quid on the 3rd kit from that season. 

Mighty Red turns out to be a lad from Huyton, who thinks everyone is a knobhead. A Scouse bad Santa. He's giving you the lowdown about how Mike Edwards has shagged all of the canteen staff, except for Mary, who is married to Kev, who happens to be a lad you went to school with.

Surely there will be the possibility of a lot of players out of contract in the next year or two as the covid debts start to bite?

Our owners won't borrow money the way others have. Generally speaking that's a principle I agree with and we are getting the new stand at the Anfield Road. I get the frustration with United signing Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo but they'll have to deal with those debts in due course.

44 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

Surely there will be the possibility of a lot of players out of contract in the next year or two as the covid debts start to bite?

Our owners won't borrow money the way others have. Generally speaking that's a principle I agree with and we are getting the new stand at the Anfield Road. I get the frustration with United signing Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo but they'll have to deal with those debts in due course.

They didn't have to borrow money. 

And they didn't have to use money out of their own pockets as such as they've reportedly received £500m recently from Red Bird for 11%, so even if they didn't want to "give" us any of that they could have loaned some to us for new player(s).  It appears they chose not to do that.

• Upvote 1

Aside from saving a few quid I do wonder about FSG's thinking behind the lack of investment these last couple of seasons. Obviously I understand the financial hit from Covid was hard on them last year but fans are back now, revenue is up, and all the signs point to no more lockdowns in the UK.

The club has never been more commercially valuable. Why not build on that value. It's almost always been true that to make money you have to spend money. They have one of the best managers in the world but he might leave in 2.5 years and leave behind a hugely aging squad (we already are tbh)

Dipping into their own pockets for £100 odd million this summer would not have killed them (the FFP laws have been relaxed this year due to the pandemic from what I understand). Buying one or two players for that amount and giving them 3 years to work with Klopp would have only benefited us in the long term. This in turn sets up the next manager, keeps Liverpool at the top end of the league and CL and would only raise the value of club (if they want to sell)

I'm all for rewarding the current players with longer term contracts and we have a squad full of leaders and men but one more big player this summer gives everyone a lift in that dressing room and in the stands. Another attacker would have pushed the current strikers to perform and improve (Or regain form)

It's almost like they are waiting for the Klopp era to end and start again from scratch. Which from a footballing and business decision is pretty bizarre.

• Upvote 2