You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I wonder what the story is behind watching Minamino and ignoring Haaland. 

What makes you think that we were doing that?

Minamino was a low risk low value signing to add depth, Haaland already had a clear path set out by his agent and father that would have made it much harder to sign him at that point.

Just because we were buying one doesn't mean we ignored the other. 

5 hours ago, aRdja said:

That second half is a prime example as to why we need a proper number 9 IMO.

The problem was movement.

We could have had whatever number 9 you wanted if you can't force Chelsea out of there shape by moving the ball intelligently then all you've done is isolate a number 9 in the middle of 6 Chelsea players.

9 minutes ago, Moo said:

It's not a genuine question to ask who's available. The answer most of the time will be "err", just think about it. Did we, the supporters, know Jota was available? If not how on earth did we sign him?

It is a genuine question because people are making out that we can just go out and buy somebody. Jota is actually a good example, he was available at the right price and the right terms. We dont know whether the club has been looking for that type of buy or not but some posters see that as a reason to have a go.

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

The problem was movement.

We could have had whatever number 9 you wanted if you can't force Chelsea out of there shape by moving the ball intelligently then all you've done is isolate a number 9 in the middle of 6 Chelsea players.

Agreed, to disrupt that you need a genuine wide man who gets to the byline beyond the full back and creates opportunity for the cf. We dont do that at all.

2 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

It is a genuine question because people are making out that we can just go out and buy somebody. Jota is actually a good example, he was available at the right price and the right terms. We dont know whether the club has been looking for that type of buy or not but some posters see that as a reason to have a go.

We're supporters, we're entitled to have a go at the ownership if we think they should be doing better.

Back to "available" Jota is a good example because we didn't know he was available yet we signed him.  So if you'd have asked the same question this time last year Jota likely wouldn't have been named yet hey presto he appeared.

1 minute ago, Moo said:

We're supporters, we're entitled to have a go at the ownership if we think they should be doing better.

Back to "available" Jota is a good example because we didn't know he was available yet we signed him.  So if you'd have asked the same question this time last year Jota likely wouldn't have been named yet hey presto he appeared.

Entitled? Nothing wrong with constructive criticism, but a lot of it isnt. Jota is a good example for another reason because the same criticism was being levelled last season and bang he was signed. We dont know what the club is doing right now, could be nothing of course.

9 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The hole in the middle was most evident in a first half move, where Chelsea weren't set, Robertson got a great cross into the box, and Salah couldn't get to it coming from the right. No one else was in the box, and a number 9 attacking the penalty spot would've gobbled the chance up.

Bobby kept dropping deep, but I don’t think we needed to as we had one man extra in midfield, we needed someone in the box instead.

8 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Entitled? Nothing wrong with constructive criticism, but a lot of it isnt. Jota is a good example for another reason because the same criticism was being levelled last season and bang he was signed. We dont know what the club is doing right now, could be nothing of course.

Yes entitled.  Some people have been putting their heart, soul and cash into this club for decades, or generations. We are the club. Absolutely entitled have a go at the ownership especially on a forum which exists to debate.

So for everyone who is content with our squad, if yesterday doesn't sober you up, nothing will. The manager has about 8 midfielders to pick from and he goes for a kid who didn't have a fucking clue what he was doing (despite some nice touches) because he doesn't trust any of the alternatives. Then up front he brings Bobby back in because despite Jota's goals, his all round play is pretty poor and we've got mane who's been out of form for a year and is untouchable because of the alternatives. Yet we look at the bench and you just think "fuck that, stuck with what we have". Every sub yesterday made us worse and the ones left on the bench you wouldn't even bother asking them to warm up as they were never getting on. It's been apparent for a long time we needed another forward and a midfielder as a minimum, but yet we've tons of fans who are more interested in defending some hedgefund cunts than they are seeing the club having footballers who you want on the pitch. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So for everyone who is content with our squad, if yesterday doesn't sober you up, nothing will. The manager has about 8 midfielders to pick from and he goes for a kid who didn't have a fucking clue what he was doing (despite some nice touches) because he doesn't trust any of the alternatives. Then up front he brings Bobby back in because despite Jota's goals, his all round play is pretty poor and we've got mane who's been out of form for a year and is untouchable because of the alternatives. Yet we look at the bench and you just think "fuck that, stuck with what we have". Every sub yesterday made us worse and the ones left on the bench you wouldn't even bother asking them to warm up as they were never getting on. It's been apparent for a long time we needed another forward and a midfielder as a minimum, but yet we've tons of fans who are more interested in defending some hedgefund cunts than they are seeing the club having footballers who you want on the pitch. 

But there’s apparently no one out there who can improve us……….

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think you’re arguing against an imagined position here I’m afraid Barry. I haven’t seen anyone except for maybe @lebron who thinks we don’t need reinforcements upfront at least. I have been championing my boy Bamford for almost a year now. Midfield we’re set IMO, we’ve started with six different players so far this season, any cash spent there would be wasted. I’d go for a back up right back before another midfielder.

35 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Agreed, to disrupt that you need a genuine wide man who gets to the byline beyond the full back and creates opportunity for the cf. We dont do that at all.

We’ve got 2 of the most creative full backs in the world to do that. They had no one to aim at yesterday whereas a proper no 9 would have got on the end of at least a few of those balls fired into an empty 6 yard box

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I think you’re arguing against an imagined position here I’m afraid Barry. I haven’t seen anyone except for maybe @lebron who thinks we don’t need reinforcements upfront at least. I have been championing my boy Bamford for almost a year now. Midfield we’re set, we’ve started with six different players so far this season, any cash spent there would be wasted. I’d go for a back up right back before another midfielder.

There's tons of people on here who are happy if we don't sign anyone and won't see it as a failure if we don't bring anyone in. You might be championing Bamford, but it's not a question of looking at one individual as far as I'm concerned, it's looking at the team and the squad and knowing we need re-enforcements rather than this narrative that this squad is as capable as the one that won the CL & PL when it's clearly not.

3 minutes ago, Red74 said:

We’ve got 2 of the most creative full backs in the world to do that. They had no one to aim at yesterday whereas a proper no 9 would have got on the end of at least a few of those balls fired into an empty 6 yard box

There was a point in the 2nd half and we got the ball out to the left wing (can't remember who to now) and we just had to go backwards because we didn't have one player in the box. That can happen I suppose at any time, but we were in a passage of play where Chelsea couldn't get the ball more than 40 yards from their goal for ages and we were just playing the game in the 20 yards outside of the box. 

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

There's tons of people on here who are happy if we don't sign anyone and won't see it as a failure if we don't bring anyone in. You might be championing Bamford, but it's not a question of looking at one individual as far as I'm concerned, it's looking at the team and the squad and knowing we need re-enforcements rather than this narrative that this squad is as capable as the one that won the CL & PL when it's clearly not.

It is IMO. We haven’t had a good enough number 9 since Bobby got injured before the CL final arguably. Midfield, CB and wide forward we’re fine. If we bring a class proper number 9 in between now and Tuesday then it’d be a good summer as far I’m concerned. I also don’t know anyone who don’t think we need to bring anyone in. 

1 hour ago, Moo said:

I agreed with you about the Jota example but again the same people were going off last year before that happened and even after saying it wasnt a big enough signing.