You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

57 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

So we couldn't sign any non home grown players until Shaqiri or Origi left to free up a space. Shaqiri left a few days ago but now we aren't expecting any incomings. Harvey Elliot is now both Shaqiri and Wijnaldums replacement and Kaide Gordon will get more first team chances in the cups. But we've made a £7.5m profit in the transfer window. 

We will have to watch useless twats like Origi and Minamino cover for Mane and Salah in January and hope for Oxlade Chamberlain and Keita not to get injured when they are both made of prawn crackers. 

See but here's the thing; compared to the 18/19, 19/20 teams that won everything, we've essentially replaced Lovren with Konaté, Lallana with Jones, Gini with Thiago, Shaq with Elliott and we added Jota and Tsimikas, while sacrificing Brewster and Hoever, who weren't contributors. Also, Minamino was added for whatever that's worth.

I get that it doesn't seem like we're doing anything, but when you look at on paper how we're replacing players gradually with about equivalent quality from a squad that won big trophies and we added a few without replacing as well, it's really not ridiculous what we're doing in the big picture.

I think where people are mad is they've realized we're not adding on top of the top players we have. It takes big departures, it takes financial planning. They're not gonna buy a 5th forward and send Minamino to the reserves either. It's all very deliberate and careful.

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Thinking on this post a bit further…

You are aware of Liverpool’s economic past and the hardship it brought (and still brings) to the city & it’s population? 

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

You can mock all you want. Your failure to acknowledge this is simply staggering. 

Although you bitch constantly, you never offer an opinion on what could change.

So, given we’ve spent c.£40m (give or take) on Salah, Mane, Jota & Firmino, if you had that amount to spend on another attacker, who would you go for?

D0AC9A4C-8733-47E8-9D51-707DB96CFD6F.gif

1 minute ago, Justice Negs said:

Last time United beat City to a purchase as a vanity signing was Sanchez. Fingers crossed Ronaldo’s falls off the same cliff he did in just getting old overnight.

Ronaldo wont live with the pace of the PL he will have his honeymoon they he will drop off. After watching a few Juventus games last year half way though the 2nd half he was knackered 

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

See but here's the thing; compared to the 18/19, 19/20 teams that won everything, we've essentially replaced Lovren with Konaté, Lallana with Jones, Gini with Thiago, Shaq with Elliott and we added Jota and Tsimikas, while sacrificing Brewster and Hoever, who weren't contributors. Also, Minamino was added for whatever that's worth.

I get that it doesn't seem like we're doing anything, but when you look at on paper how we're replacing players gradually with about equivalent quality from a squad that won big trophies and we added a few without replacing as well, it's really not ridiculous what we're doing in the big picture.

I think where people are mad is they've realized we're not adding on top of the top players we have. It takes big departures, it takes financial planning. They're not gonna buy a 5th forward and send Minamino to the reserves either. It's all very deliberate and careful.

I think you are simplifying it a bit. Ming and lallana have left from a squad position, shaq has left this last week too. Origi has fallen away so far, nobody even talks about him any more. And players like milner and Henderson are older and miss more games. We actually don't have 1 reliable midfielder. Fabinho is about as close as we've got and he probably has 2 muscle injuries per year. Thiago is effectively replacing Gini who played every week, yet he's managed less than 250 games across his entire 12 year senior career. Even konate who seems to be regarded as the 2nd coming by many has managed just 30-odd games over the last 2 years and is yet to prove he has a body that can stand up to football. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think you are simplifying it a bit. Ming and lallana have left from a squad position, shaq has left this last week too. Origi has fallen away so far, nobody even talks about him any more. And players like milner and Henderson are older and miss more games. We actually don't have 1 reliable midfielder. Fabinho is about as close as we've got and he probably has 2 muscle injuries per year. Thiago is effectively replacing Gini who played every week, yet he's managed less than 250 games across his entire 12 year senior career. Even konate who seems to be regarded as the 2nd coming by many has managed just 30-odd games over the last 2 years and is yet to prove he has a body that can stand up to football. 

It's not simplifying, it's looking big picture and looking at who's in, who's out after our two great seasons. It's at worst equivalent in quality and objectively, there's been improvement in a bunch of areas.

Yes, we have a player or two that doesn't contribute anything and there are injury concerns, but you can't get rid of everybody at once. The turnover will continue. I think without the pandemic we would've seen more and maybe with some of our bigger players. This is more of a safe strategy in my opinion, but the work is there.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's not simplifying, it's looking big picture and looking at who's in, who's out after our two great seasons. It's at worst equivalent in quality and objectively, there's been improvement in a bunch of areas.

Yes, we have a player or two that doesn't contribute anything and there are injury concerns, but you can't get rid of everybody at once. The turnover will continue. I think without the pandemic we would've seen more and maybe with some of our bigger players. This is more of a safe strategy in my opinion, but the work is there.

What do you mean by safety first? It's safety first from a financial perspective. I don't see how having players who won't play being good for anything on the pitch. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

What do you mean by safety first? It's safety first from a financial perspective. I don't see how having players who won't play being good for anything on the pitch. 

Safety as in the turnover of the squad is quite slow, without loads of important ins and outs. Maybe without the pandemic, we would've changed more.

As for the second part, you've ignored the part where we're better on paper in attack and deeper in defense from when we won the league.

2 hours ago, Horus said:

To be fair, if we'd signed Messi, I doubt many of us would have criticised the move for being short term. You get the chance to sign of the 2 or 3 goats, then you do it.

Yeah can't blame the cunts for signing the cunt if the cunt has said he's open to signing for the cunts the cunt. They are serious title contenders now. If he stays fit that is. 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah can't blame the cunts for signing the cunt if the cunt has said he's open to signing for the cunts the cunt. They are serious title contenders now. If he stays fit that is. 

No they're not. Serious weakness at right back, goal keeper, centre midfield and dug out. Ronaldo makes Fernandes a worse player for them. Their best player has just been neutered. 

19 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Safety as in the turnover of the squad is quite slow, without loads of important ins and outs. Maybe without the pandemic, we would've changed more.

As for the second part, you've ignored the part where we're better on paper in attack and deeper in defense from when we won the league.

That's not safety first though is it? It's just nobody can afford our best players, so our hands are tied. 

As for the 2nd part, I think that is debatable. I think firmino is half the player he was coming into 19/20 and while Jota certainly seems to have a knack of scoring, I don't think he adds a great deal more - although I've seen him live just twice. As for defence, we can certainly count as many bodies as we did coming into those seasons, but the very idea we have 4 centre backs who barely kicked a ball between them last year, it's very questionable how much depth is really there. Kostas certainly appears to add more then anything we had in 19/20 (can't remember who back up left back was that season, was it milner and larouci in the cups?). 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

We'd have stood far more of a chance if we'd have had that extra centre back or even just brought one in on Jan 1st - as you rightly point out we were top of the league at Christmas, but sat on our hands in January, despite Matip getting injured in the boxing day fixture. I don't even know how it can be doubted that an extra centre back would have helped, either at the October deadline or when the window opened in the new year and we knew Gomez and vvd were fucked and matip was broken enough that best efforts we'd have to nurse him through the season.

And this idea it is only being called in hindsight simply isn't true. Personally I wanted one (last summer window), but I understood the idea of a backup left back - but I think we should have found money for both. But honestly, if anyone looks back to last season there were loads upon loads of people saying we needed one more. What happened in January was beyond a joke. 

Nobody's doubting it would have helped, that it was the sum total of our issues last season, which seems to be many peoples view (whether they're simplifying it or not) is an entirely different matter.

If Konate was our target, and reports say a move was discussed in January but Leipzig weren't selling (presumably the release clause wasn't active in January?) and he was our main target I can understand why they'd wait to get the player they want and sign a stop gap in the mean time especially if the drop off from him to the next in line was significant.

If we went in to the season with three centre backs and one of them was injured we'd have been fine, if two of them had been injured it would be unfortunate but we'd have managed, to have three go plus three 6's (1 minor granted) wasn't seen by anyone and isn't an every season occurrence.

33 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Not my job lad. Thats why the Club employs scouts.

Muthafucka

This is a special kind of head-in-the-sand post, I'm actually kind of impressed.

Anything good we do, it's down to Klopp (not Edwards, and certainly not FSG). So when we buy no one, it's "we're rubbish, everyone else has strengthened, #FSGOUT." 

But then we go and win the league, and rather than saying "I was wrong, hold my hand up" the response is "well, it was all down to Klopp, he did it despite the handicap of the owners, etc." Which is a genius way of looking at evidence that contradicts your own position - just ignore it!

So now again this summer we're repeating all of these same, interminable arguments, and Beefy here has employed a new approach. It's all "it would be simple to just go out and buy someone to improve our 5th-best attacker." Which is actually fair enough, I would tend to agree with it, even. I'd be interested to read a discussion on which players could maybe fit the bill.

But when he's asked "go on, then, it doesn't seem that simple to me, who do you think is out there that we could get for the kinds of prices we historically pay that would improve that position?" his answer is just "beats me!"

So, the logic is:
- FSG is rubbish, and the man they employ to run the club's recruitment is hamstrung or incompetent or both
- BUT FSG and that same man built the best squad in the history of our club and won the CL and league
- AND any idiot could easily find a player to make that squad measurably better
- BUT not me, because that's not my job, I don't actually know of any players who would make it better

5 minutes ago, fungus said:

Cristiano Ronaldo Has Astonishingly Scored Only ONE Free-Kick In 72 Attempts For Juventus

This was in march, no idea if he's done anything since because quite frankly he's an irrelevance.  Will be quite amusing to see how Fernandes deals with not taking free kicks and penalties.

He's not that good at them, never has been I don't think.

He had his Roberto Carlos moment while playing for Utd when he scored a top quality one and has been considered a free kick expert ever since.

• Upvote 1