You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

2 minutes ago, Morning Glory said:

At the end of last summer’s window, we were saying it was negligent to go into the season with just 3 recognised centre backs. At the end of this window, we’ll be saying it’s negligent to go into the season with no adequate cover for the front 4. Making unnecessary risks because our owners will not invest in the squad will only result in one outcome, again. It’s fucking scandalous how they get away with it.

But if we had bought a 5th would we be lacking in cover for our front 5?

We seem to have got ourselves in a never ending loop here given we only play a front 3.

8 minutes ago, Morning Glory said:

At the end of last summer’s window, we were saying it was negligent to go into the season with just 3 recognised centre backs. At the end of this window, we’ll be saying it’s negligent to go into the season with no adequate cover for the front 4. Making unnecessary risks because our owners will not invest in the squad will only result in one outcome, again. It’s fucking scandalous how they get away with it.

It's not really like that, though. The premise of having 3 CB's was we had 8 midfielders, one of which could play CB. It wasn't short, it was just accounted for in a different way. It ended up fucking us, but all your central defenders getting injured in the long term fucks anybody. 

And anyway, we play with 3 forwards, so obviously the 4th is good cover and then there's Minamino who looked good in preseason, so we'll see if that amounts to something.

21 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

it might be a short-term signing for a player entering middle-age on a ludicrous wage, but Ronaldo's still an incredibly good player who'll strengthen them no doubt. Hopefully those wages, and his ego, will put a few noses out of joint in the changing room.

I'm still pretty relaxed about it though. Unless they've got something else up their sleeves, they'll be playing out this season with two of McTominay, Fred and Matic in their midfield. And Ole managing them. And far better that the greasy one makes ManU a stronger side than makes City practically unstoppable, which was the likelihood for a time.

I'm Johnny Cool about the transfers.  

I mean, it's gotten THAT desperate now, that Man City and Man United are fighting over Ronaldo.  

Jack Grealish cost £100m

Lukaku cost £100m

Ben White cost £50m

Tomori cost £30m

It's a fucking joke of a market really.  

There's a couple of low-level speculative transfers I'm jealous of, but I can't knock Klopp for being happy with his lot.  

FYI, the speculative ones...

Onana to Lille - £6m

Tonali to Milan - £6m

Ibanez to Roma - £7m

Lovato to Atalanta - £7m

Armstrong to Southampton - £15m

Soumare to Leicester - £17m

I love Odegaard too, lovely to watch.  

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

No, some people were saying having 3 centre backs was negligent and that was with hindsight even after they'd said degsy wasnt good enough.

Same thing this season, not everyone is saying it's 'negligent.'

We were relying on Fabinho to fill in if required. With one of our CB’s a constant sick note. Relying on Origi & Minamino this season will bite us in the behind again.

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's not really like that, though. The premise of having 3 CB's was we had 8 midfielders, one of which could play CB. It wasn't short, it was just accounted for in a different way. It ended up fucking us, but all your central defenders getting injured in the long term fucks anybody. 

And anyway, we play with 3 forwards, so obviously the 4th is good cover and then there's Minamino who looked good in preseason, so we'll see if that amounts to something.

I have zero faith in Minamino. Too lightweight and not cut out for the PL. I remember watching Lovren against Dortmund in a pre season game. Thought we’d bought a quality centre half. I’ll never make that mistake again. Plus his time on loan at Southampton was underwhelming. Let’s just hope the injury curse has passed and we don’t have to rely on him. 

1 minute ago, Morning Glory said:

We were relying on Fabinho to fill in if required. With one of our CB’s a constant sick note. Relying on Origi & Minamino this season will bite us in the behind again.

Like I said, hindsight. Fabinho wasnt earmarked to cover for 3 centre backs. He was when we had unprecedented injuries.

People wanted rid of Degsy in the summer. Say what you want about him but it's always this players isnt good enough, even as 3rd of 4th choice, get someone else in so we can moan about him if he fucks up.

People were saying the same about Tsimikas all last season when he didnt play and picked up injuries. Guess what, football's like that. People have become mesmerised because city and now chelsea have returned to throwing money around at a time when football finances have been fucked.

People keep saying we should have bought. Klopp has, he's bought Tsimikas, Jota and Konate. It's the old story from some, just load debt on the club and buy fucking someone because those two clubs in particular are.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

But if we had bought a 5th would we be lacking in cover for our front 5?

We seem to have got ourselves in a never ending loop here given we only play a front 3.

Oh come on. It’s about replacing Origi with a better option. 

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Like I said, hindsight. Fabinho wasnt earmarked to cover for 3 centre backs. He was when we had unprecedented injuries.

People wanted rid of Degsy in the summer. Say what you want about him but it's always this players isnt good enough, even as 3rd of 4th choice, get someone else in so we can moan about him if he fucks up.

People were saying the same about Tsimikas all last season when he didnt play and picked up injuries. Guess what, football's like that. People have become mesmerised because city and now chelsea have returned to throwing money around at a time when football finances have been fucked.

People keep saying we should have bought. Klopp has, he's bought Tsimikas, Jota and Konate. It's the old story from some, just load debt on the club and buy fucking someone because those two clubs in particular are.

Fabinho was playing in defence before the summer window was shut last year. While injuries probably made him play at the back more, he was starting games centre back by the 2nd league game of the season. 

So we couldn't sign any non home grown players until Shaqiri or Origi left to free up a space. Shaqiri left a few days ago but now we aren't expecting any incomings. Harvey Elliot is now both Shaqiri and Wijnaldums replacement and Kaide Gordon will get more first team chances in the cups. But we've made a £7.5m profit in the transfer window. 

We will have to watch useless twats like Origi and Minamino cover for Mane and Salah in January and hope for Oxlade Chamberlain and Keita not to get injured when they are both made of prawn crackers. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Couldn’t give a shit about other teams. Klopp said Fab was our cover last season, nothing about hindsight. And I thought Kostas looked tidy enough in the limited game time he had last season. The drop off from our front 4 to Div & Tak is huge. The fact we can’t get rid of them tells it’s own story. This isn’t about loading debt, it’s about upgrading a part of the squad that will be exposed. And for the record we’re £6 million in profit this window.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Fabinho was playing in defence before the summer window was shut last year. While injuries probably made him play at the back more, he was starting games centre back by the 2nd league game of the season. 

And at Christmas we were still top of the league having lost Gomez, Van Dijk and Thiago

Additional injuries to the likes of Jota, Matip, Henderson and Fabinho really put the nail in the coffin.

Realistcally how many players would we have needed to sign to legislate for that kind of record because it seems like having one more defender at the start of the season wouldn't really have fixed it.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

So we couldn't sign any non home grown players until Shaqiri or Origi left to free up a space. Shaqiri left a few days ago but now we aren't expecting any incomings. Harvey Elliot is now both Shaqiri and Wijnaldums replacement and Kaide Gordon will get more first team chances in the cups. But we've made a £7.5m profit in the transfer window. 

We will have to watch useless twats like Origi and Minamino cover for Mane and Salah in January and hope for Oxlade Chamberlain and Keita not to get injured when they are both made of prawn crackers. 

And Milner as fucking boss as he’s been is another year older. 

48 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

And at Christmas we were still top of the league having lost Gomez, Van Dijk and Thiago

Additional injuries to the likes of Jota, Matip, Henderson and Fabinho really put the nail in the coffin.

Realistcally how many players would we have needed to sign to legislate for that kind of record because it seems like having one more defender at the start of the season wouldn't really have fixed it.

We'd have stood far more of a chance if we'd have had that extra centre back or even just brought one in on Jan 1st - as you rightly point out we were top of the league at Christmas, but sat on our hands in January, despite Matip getting injured in the boxing day fixture. I don't even know how it can be doubted that an extra centre back would have helped, either at the October deadline or when the window opened in the new year and we knew Gomez and vvd were fucked and matip was broken enough that best efforts we'd have to nurse him through the season.

And this idea it is only being called in hindsight simply isn't true. Personally I wanted one (last summer window), but I understood the idea of a backup left back - but I think we should have found money for both. But honestly, if anyone looks back to last season there were loads upon loads of people saying we needed one more. What happened in January was beyond a joke. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3