You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

3 hours ago, Crazy Dave said:

Having Traore on the bench is basically like having a super weapon. He absolutely roasted Robbo in 19/20. The way Klopp spoke about him afterwards, I'm sure we'd be interested if he was available. Under the right manager (Klopp) he could be phenomenal. 

Maybe I haven't seen enough of him to be a good enough judge, and his numbers aren't great, but he's worth the gamble. 

Never got a sniff against Tsimikas when they played Olympiacos. Hot and cold, mostly cold.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I see the stat weirdos are going on about Odegaard having one of the best xT in the league. Bet these are the same lot that think Nabby is a integral part of our team and should have been playing ahead of Gini. 

I personally think Ødegaard will be a great signing for Arsenal. 

I would not mind him here with us, Salah and Mane would love to play with him. 

3 hours ago, Crazy Dave said:

Having Traore on the bench is basically like having a super weapon. He absolutely roasted Robbo in 19/20. The way Klopp spoke about him afterwards, I'm sure we'd be interested if he was available. Under the right manager (Klopp) he could be phenomenal. 

Maybe I haven't seen enough of him to be a good enough judge, and his numbers aren't great, but he's worth the gamble. 

rocket-failure-explode.gif

Adama Traore is a completely different proposition to Salah and Mane. Traore loves running at defenders with the ball, his dribbling stats are elite level every season, where as our forwards prefer running off the ball into space. As a plan B, you don’t get much better than him IMO. 

As someone who has barely seen him play, I need to understand the fuss with Traore. He rarely seems to start for Wolves and always has a terrible goal record. When people are talking about his strengths it usualy involves him being an impact sub. Shouldn't we be aiming for someone more ambitious?

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Remmie said:

As someone who has barely seen him play, I need to understand the fuss with Traore. He rarely seems to start for Wolves and always has a terrible goal record. When people are talking about his strengths it usualy involves him being an impact sub. Shouldn't we be aiming for someone more ambitious?

He runs really really fast

People still seem to think a good coach will improve him. Don't get it at all, he's 26 in January. He's not good enough as a goalscorer to fit our system with inverted wingers, and if he stays wide he winders Trent's space to get wide. The only time he's looked half decent was in a counter attacking Wolves team in their first season in the top flight and have a proper target man in the middle. His miss at the weekend tell you everything you need to know. 

The new Wolves boss seems to want him playing on the left and trying to cut in but he's never showed a decent ability to finish and teams rarely play a high line against us

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Yeah, he doesn't score many goals that's for sure - I think it's something like 7 in 140 Premier League matches.

It's the "physical attributes" that get people excited.

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

He’s probably the quickest player in the league, very very strong, and he’s an amazing dribbler. He had a very good season the year before last. He had an average season last year but then Wolves as a team did too. Don’t think he’ll reach Salah’s or Mane’s level but he’d be handy to have in the squad for the right price.

Interestingly, one of the knocks on Traore is that he has shockingly low shot totals for a player who has insanely good successful dribble numbers. Then he went and had 7 shots in their first game this season.

If he can figure out a way to keep that up, which I very much doubt, then he could actually springboard into a really good player. The thing is, players usually make that leap, if they're going to make it, by age 23-24. A player at 26 is just not that likely to all of a sudden transform into a completely different type of player, statistically speaking, unless they move to a different system or something.

11 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

£100m!! Putting aside how good a player he is and how nobody is really worth that kind of money, he's thirty fucking four! £100m for a player heading towards retirement, fucking hell!

Edit: Apologies, he'll be 33 on Saturday, but the point stands!

Agreed. 

Bizarre timing to say it towards the end of the window. Surely a transfer like this needs instigating way before the window even opens. 

10 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Di Marzio is saying Juve is not against selling Mckennie. He'd be a nice compliment to our current midfielders, imo. If we were looking to buy a midfielder, which we're not it looks like, but still.

Juventus won't be selling us anyone.

7 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

That Locatelli going to Juve for €25m seems really low after his Euros

He's gone on loan hasn't he? They definitely send the heavies round to any transfer negotiations them.

Apart from when Aaron Ramsey signed his contract, they must have been at a Cosa Nostra weekender in Catania. 

6 hours ago, aRdja said:

He’s probably the quickest player in the league, very very strong, and he’s an amazing dribbler. He had a very good season the year before last. He had an average season last year but then Wolves as a team did too. Don’t think he’ll reach Salah’s or Mane’s level but he’d be handy to have in the squad for the right price.

One of the things to consider is even during the good season in 2019/20 the majority of his goals (3 of the 4) came against teams playing a highline as did his 'unplayable' game against us.

In reality that's only going to be the case against 3 or 4 teams a season with the majority playing a variation of mid to low block. If those teams come out of the low block then the chances are we're already ahead.

Can we change his game enough, and/or give him enough space to do what he does?

I’m not even against signing Traore but it would have to be a £30m gamble that we’re willing to eat arse on in the likelihood it doesn’t come off. Look at the four forwards that’d be in front of him, he’d be a 30 minute super sub most times and if he has some secret hidden extra couple of levels that he’s never really shown then Kloppo is the man to unlock them. At worse we end up with another Origi. Still better ways to spend our money like.

2 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

I’m not even against signing Traore but it would have to be a £30m gamble that we’re willing to eat arse on in the likelihood it doesn’t come off. Look at the four forwards that’d be in front of him, he’d be a 30 minute super sub most times and if he has some secret hidden extra couple of levels that he’s never really shown then Kloppo is the man to unlock them. At worse we end up with another Origi. Still better ways to spend our money like.

200.gif