You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

22 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

With a brief of 'we want you in as understudy to Salah and 5th choice attacker to Salah, Mane, Firminho and Jota' who would people realistically want?

Understudy to Mo and Sadio yes - but whoever we brought in would be battling with Jota and Firmino surely. 

6 minutes ago, m0e said:

Sarr, Adam, Bowen, Doku will each offer more than Origi, Shaq, and Minamino combined

Getting 2 of them in would be awesome.

I'd go Sarr and Doku. Left and right sorted

Even if you got just one of either Sarr or Doku and moving the other three on I'd say we'd be better off.

• Upvote 1

Think I'd rather have gone for Tammy Abraham for £34m than get Bowen or Traore. Of the three mentioned, Sarr is the best option, but will still need development time, we'll lose him to the Afcon, and he won't come cheap.

If we weren't skint / FSG weren't shithouse cunts, Bernardo Silva wants to leave Man City. Could play midfield too.

7 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Think I'd rather have gone for Tammy Abraham for £34m than get Bowen or Traore.

They aren't buying name recognition though.

There has to be a vague nod to our system and style of play when considering a player so buying a 9 who lacks any kind of build up play in a system that relies on the central forward to bring your goalscorers into play seem's counter productive.

There's a reason Origi, when he does play, is used on the left rather than centrally.

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

He had a mediocre year last season. However, you’d struggle to find a more dangerous player in the league to bring on in the last 20 minutes of the game. You could argue Zaha, but that’d be it IMO.

I think Sigurdsson is a more dangerous player tbh, but yeah focus on the black lads you racist. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Think I'd rather have gone for Tammy Abraham for £34m than get Bowen or Traore. Of the three mentioned, Sarr is the best option, but will still need development time, we'll lose him to the Afcon, and he won't come cheap.

If we weren't skint / FSG weren't shithouse cunts, Bernardo Silva wants to leave Man City. Could play midfield too.

Only my opinion but I don’t think Abraham is good enough.

However, it’s a fact Silva is a rat faced cunt.

So, no thanks to either.

• Upvote 3

I don’t think Abraham is suited to us at all. He’s more of a traditional centre forward where we need our central forward to be flexible.

I don’t think we need a central player as such, just someone who can play across the front 3 positions and contribute goals and assists.

Bowen would be a good signing for me.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I don’t think Abraham is suited to us at all. He’s more of a traditional centre forward where we need our central forward to be flexible.

I don’t think we need a central player as such, just someone who can play across the front 3 positions and contribute goals and assists.

Bowen would be a good signing for me.

Yep.

There are obviously exceptions to the rule (Lewandowski and Haaland being the two most high profile ones) of 'traditional' strikers who also excel in bringing others into play that would fit in our system (or would be worth tweaking the system slightly) but Abraham isn't one of those.

It'll be why we didn't push to sign Daka and why Malen being a predominantly left sided attacker (when we has Mane and Jota) wasn't seriously considered either. Preference seems to be right sided with versatility.

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

That's where I am, although in terms of of getting supporters on there feet during a game (over suitability) the list is probably reversed.

Bowen most closely fits the brief of right sided attacking cover who can also play centrally to mirror Jota on the other side and has enough versatility to dove tail with all our other players, bit of recency bias but looking at his performance on Sunday he would be the most Liverpool type signing of the three.

Sarr would provide cover for both sides and has the pace and ability to beat a man.

Traore is arguably the more exciting of the three but also the one with the least versatility, may be harsh on him but so far he's proven an excellent head down runner with pace and power but needs to show more as an all round attacker. 

Get you 

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

Silva? Wash your fucking mouth out!

I'd rather John Henry took a shit in an envelope and posted it through my door than sign Traore. Hugely overrated speed merchant who runs into blind alleys and has little end product. Had one good season, and that's it. Was the same in the Championship before Wolves signed him. Swerve.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Apparently, it's either one of Adama Traore, Ismaila Sarr or Jared Bowen as our next signing.

Well, it looks like Wolves are pursuing Guedes from Valencia, an attacker, so either Wolves have found £20m behind the back of the settee, or are expecting to receive some money for an attacking player.

https://www.molineux.news/transfer-news/valencias-guedes-linked-with-wolves-move-once-more/

6 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I'd rather John Henry took a shit in an envelope and posted it through my door rather than sign Traore. Hugely overrated speed merchant who runs into blind alleys and has little end product. Had one good season, and that's it. Was the same in the Championship before wolves signed him. Swerve.

Harsh.  Traore closes down like a motherfucker. 

• Upvote 1