You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

2 hours ago, CapeRed said:

So Keegan and Souness had run their course ?? Different times now, back then the clubs called the shots now its the agents and players. You cannot compare the 70's and 80's with now. Back then it was headline news when a player left for an overseas club, British talent wasnt that great and the top Spanish and Italian clubs were buying Dutch , German and French talent. Players now can pick and choose clubs and challenges so getting top players to commit to the club is worth a headline or two.

Ian Rush as well, of course.

So just our best ever goal scorer, best ever midfielder and most famous player (all at the time) that we couldn’t keep in the good old days.

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Who cares. What a waste of time he has been. I feel sorry for him. Must be a bit embarrassing for him.

He wasn't signed as some genius hidden gem that nobody knew about, he was signed as an 8th choice incase we ended up losing all of the other centre backs to injury. He was a backup to the backups of the backups. 

9 hours ago, Anubis said:

You know the worst thing about FSGers? FSGers always want FSG to get credit for some shit they’re supposed to do. An FSGer will brag about some shit a normal club owner just does. An FSGer will say some shit like, "They didn’t raise ticket prices to £77." They weren’t supposed to, you dumb motherfuckers! What are you talking about?" What kind of ignorant shit is that? "They renewed our best players’ contracts" What do FSG want, a cookie?! They’re supposed to renew our best players’ contracts, you low-expectation-having motherfuckers.

It's the need to defend them that gets me, I don't understand it. They are nothing.

The club is the manager, the players, and the supporters.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Moo said:

It's the need to defend them that gets me, I don't understand it. They are nothing.

The club is the manager, the players, and the supporters.

Because as the owners, it's thought most decisions the club makes is down to them. What do you think people will do? They'll either agree or disagree.

42 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I'd imagine the £60,000 a week softened the blow! 

I don't believe that we would pay him that much. He would have been on a maximum of 10k a week at Preston. 

I've seen a lot of things written about Ben Davies recently, he wasn't some sort of clever moneyball signing. We took a desperate punt on a player that is clearly nowhere near good enough to play for us, hence why he never has. 

Mark Lawrenson called it at the time that he was Championship/SPL level and would be the backup to the backups!   

3 hours ago, CapeRed said:

Out of the 4 you mention Karius is the only flat out failure. Minamino could still prove to be a good squad member and Shaq at time of signing was a good addition at the time, hardly flooding the squad with cheap foreign imports is it?

They're all for sale and if you listen to the journalists who spread whichever story the club ask them too, they're the reason we can't bring in new blood. By the time you add in our permacrocks to the 4 (Gomez, matip, keita, Chamberlain and Henderson is getting there) a large slice of our 25 man squad is full of players we don't want or will never be fit. This is what I mean about squad management. You can't keep all the crocks, while holding on to all the players the manager never plays and not expect your squad to be compromised. It undermines all the good work done renewing the contracts of the best players and as we saw last year, undermines their efforts. 

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Jota had scored loads of goals in Europe the season prior, in addition to having a decent record in the Premier League and the Championship. Bowen looks decent but there's less certainty with him that he can play at the highest level.

West Ham are in the Europa League this season so he’ll get the same chance as Jota did.

Jota’s goal scoring record in the league for the two seasons before we signed him, was poor really. That’s kind of my point though; you have to suspend your disbelief a bit with a Klopp signing because he’s capable of getting more out of a player than he’s shown before.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Brownie said:

West Ham are in the Europa League this season so he’ll get the same chance as Jota did.

Jota’s goal scoring record in the league for the two seasons before we signed him, was poor really. That’s kind of my point though; you have to suspend your disbelief a bit with a Klopp signing because he’s capable of getting more out of a player than he’s shown before.

Wouldn't call it poor, it was ok for a second striker or wide player. 7 and 9, so around the 10 goal mark. And then in Europe, Jota scored 9 in a season, so that was substantial. There's clearly an element to our recruitment with the forwards where they need to offer some kind of certainty at a high level. Scoring close to 10 in the league and then performing in Europe was that certainty for Jota. Bowen has not really provided that, but I can see why he'd be a target because he's a wide player who can play striker which is the type of player we go for and he looks decent. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

They're all for sale and if you listen to the journalists who spread whichever story the club ask them too, they're the reason we can't bring in new blood. By the time you add in our permacrocks to the 4 (Gomez, matip, keita, Chamberlain and Henderson is getting there) a large slice of our 25 man squad is full of players we don't want or will never be fit. This is what I mean about squad management. You can't keep all the crocks, while holding on to all the players the manager never plays and not expect your squad to be compromised. It undermines all the good work done renewing the contracts of the best players and as we saw last year, undermines their efforts. 

Last years squad was probably the best in the whole history of the club.

Just the worst amount of shit happened.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I wouldn't be so sure. They're absolutely desperate for a striker now Aguero's injured, and just want Coutinho's wages off the books. Nothing is beyond the realms of possibility with Barca right now.

Yeah but isn't aubameyang also on a hefty wage? Can't imagine it'll improve their situation at all.

55 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I wouldn't be so sure. They're absolutely desperate for a striker now Aguero's injured, and just want Coutinho's wages off the books. Nothing is beyond the realms of possibility with Barca right now.

Origi is available. 

I wouldn’t be against us signing Aubameyang on a short term deal. 

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Is aguero even registered for them. The last I read is he was the last of the summer signings they were waiting to register. 

36 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Yeah but isn't aubameyang also on a hefty wage? Can't imagine it'll improve their situation at all.

I reckon he's on more than coutiniho. Isn't he supposedly on almost £300k per week? Coutiniho supposedly took a pay cut when he left us to make the deal happen and he was on £180k when he left here. There's loads of different reports on the web on what he earns (some as high as 400k). I think this site is supposed to be reliable for Barca and while this page is a little out of date, it has him on €165k, which fits with the taking a pay cut from us. Even so, it feels sure aubamayang would add to their wages. 

https://fcbarcelonalatestnews.com/fc-barcelona-players-wages/

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Wouldn't call it poor, it was ok for a second striker or wide player. 7 and 9, so around the 10 goal mark. And then in Europe, Jota scored 9 in a season, so that was substantial. There's clearly an element to our recruitment with the forwards where they need to offer some kind of certainty at a high level. Scoring close to 10 in the league and then performing in Europe was that certainty for Jota. Bowen has not really provided that, but I can see why he'd be a target because he's a wide player who can play striker which is the type of player we go for and he looks decent. 

Bowen

Championship 17/18 - 14 goals.

Championship 18/19 - 22 goals.

Championship 19/20 - 16 goals.

Premiership 19/20 - 1 goal.

Premiership 20/21 - 8 goals.

Jota

Championship 17/18 - 17 goals.

Premiership 18/19 - 9 goals.

Premiership 19/20 - 7 goals.

Premiership 19/20 - 9 goals.

I’m not say we should or shouldn’t sign Bowen. I do think he’s better than some are saying and think he’d be decent addition but I also think we could do better with the money. 

However, Bowen’s goal record is certainly comparable to Jota. Appreciated Jota played significantly less games last season. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Last years squad was probably the best in the whole history of the club.

Just the worst amount of shit happened.  

Did the worst amount of shit happen? Gomez and matip are injured for long periods nearly every year, which is how lovren used to get games. Henderson misses loads. Thiago isn't a 50-odd game per season player (he managed 150 matches in 7 years at munich). From memory only Jota got an injury out of the forward line. And vvd got injured. That was the only outlier. Much of last season we had 8 or 9 of our best 11 on the pitch. We just chose to play some of them in the wrong position because the squad was short, meaning we destroyed our defence and midfield. Then we needed to look at players like Chamberlain, origi and shaq and klopp just didn't fancy them. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

The biggest dropoff during the clusterfuck period of last season was our usually lethal front three suddenly turning into Alvaro Morata in front of goal. Nothing to do with centre backs or playing people out of position. Not saying it helped matters like.

With Barca, I'm not entirely sure how the squad registration thing works in La Liga. If a player's unregistered now do they have to keep paying him? Can they register him whenever they feel like it in future, or only at certain points, eg. January?

Right now they have Aguero, Umtiti, Fati, Dembele, Coutinho and a few others unregistered. Not seen a great deal of Fati but wasn't he very highly rated at some point? 

11 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

With Barca, I'm not entirely sure how the squad registration thing works in La Liga. If a player's unregistered now do they have to keep paying him? Can they register him whenever they feel like it in future, or only at certain points, eg. January?

Right now they have Aguero, Umtiti, Fati, Dembele, Coutinho and a few others unregistered. Not seen a great deal of Fati but wasn't he very highly rated at some point? 

Yes, they keep paying them.  Registration is until the end of the window and opens again in January.

Fati doesn't need to be registered due to his age and coming through Barca's youth system.  The others are either injured or players they want rid of and will no dubt register when the time comes re Aguero and Dembele.

They are trying to get rid of Pjanic probably on a free.  Another crazy deal that was.

34 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Did the worst amount of shit happen? Gomez and matip are injured for long periods nearly every year, which is how lovren used to get games. Henderson misses loads. Thiago isn't a 50-odd game per season player (he managed 150 matches in 7 years at munich). From memory only Jota got an injury out of the forward line. And vvd got injured. That was the only outlier. Much of last season we had 8 or 9 of our best 11 on the pitch. We just chose to play some of them in the wrong position because the squad was short, meaning we destroyed our defence and midfield. Then we needed to look at players like Chamberlain, origi and shaq and klopp just didn't fancy them. 

Man City lost one centre back from their title winning team the season prior and it cost them 25 points or something.

We lost all three of our centre backs to season ending injuries, plus the two midfielders filling in for long periods.

It was pretty fucking unprecedented for a title challenging team, yeah.

• Upvote 2