You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

Bayern will be in a similar situation to us and would have to sell his team on the benefits of signing over and above the kind of money other teams can offer.

Not sure that'll wash with the likes of Railoa unless Haaland pushes for it.

Think he'll go to Madrid or the Mancs personally.

1 minute ago, Burkray09 said:

Does Naby just get replaced by Thiago or does he take Ox spot and run Fabinho, Thiago and Naby? Id be happy with that...

Think, when fit, Henderson Thiago and Fabinho will be the go to big game midfield, bit more ball control but maybe lose a bit in the pressing game.

Quite noticeable how few new players where on show this weekend. In the games I watched it was only Grealish. West Ham Newcastle could have been game 39 from last season, 2 teams completely unchanged. Utd and Leeds was the same, don't know about Norwich but we were obviously like nothing has happened. 

20 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Think, when fit, Henderson Thiago and Fabinho will be the go to big game midfield, bit more ball control but maybe lose a bit in the pressing game.

I would argue that it’s a better pressing midfield. Naby can’t really run, and Millie isn’t as sharp as was, which is perfectly understandable at this stage of his career.

Fabinho, Hendo and Thiago are all really good with their pressing.

Those three are definitely the first choice midfield for me.

9 minutes ago, No2 said:

Quite noticeable how few new players where on show this weekend. In the games I watched it was only Grealish. West Ham Newcastle could have been game 39 from last season, 2 teams completely unchanged. Utd and Leeds was the same, don't know about Norwich but we were obviously like nothing has happened. 

Were we notice it is usually December to March. Thats when our squad gets pushed to its max imho. 

We are usually strong early season, weaker middle and finish strong. What we need to do is avoid those poor results, but it seems like there might not be room for error, especially when you've got teams like City who can seemingly go on unbeaten long streaks.

lets hope everyone stays fit.

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I would argue that it’s a better pressing midfield. Naby can’t really run, and Millie isn’t as sharp as was, which is perfectly understandable at this stage of his career.

By some distance. 

5 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Naby's right up there in pressing numbers consistently I think.

Not saying the pressing will fall off a cliff but Thiago will be more metronomic and measured.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Brownie said:

Naby and those stats again.

Well they could just say “Naby can run” but it doesn’t really prove your point wrong as much does it? If you’d have said “Naby can’t run because his legs fall off” then you’d be right but as it is his pressing stats prove that in between injuries he can indeed run.

52 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Well they could just say “Naby can run” but it doesn’t really prove your point wrong as much does it? If you’d have said “Naby can’t run because his legs fall off” then you’d be right but as it is his pressing stats prove that in between injuries he can indeed run.

I would argue that his pressing stats will be good because he’s a good reader of the game, rather than him being able to cover ground quickly. Which is my point about his running. He looks like he’s pulling a caravan when he tries to close space down.

Wonder if there’s an expected caravans (xC) stat knocking about?

• Upvote 2

Being a good reader of the game is evidenced in Thiago having more interceptions etc.

It's not a slight on Thiago or saying he doesn't/can't press he absolutely can it's just less pro active and in slightly different area's of the pitch.

It's like comparing Hyppia and Carragher, Carragher probably put in more tackles and challenges than Hyppia but that's because Hyppia often didn't need to, he'd usually read the play take a step up or a step back and intercept the ball before a tackle or challenge was needed.

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Being a good reader of the game is evidenced in Thiago having more interceptions etc.

It's not a slight on Thiago or saying he doesn't/can't press he absolutely can it's just less pro active and in slightly different area's of the pitch.

It's like comparing Hyppia and Carragher, Carragher probably put in more tackles and challenges than Hyppia but that's because Hyppia often didn't need to, he'd usually read the play take a step up or a step back and intercept the ball before a tackle or challenge was needed.

But who are we comparing Thiago to in this?

I wasn't comparing him to anyone in the first post I was saying Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago are clearly our first choice midfield because they control the game better even though we press slightly less. Didn't single any one player out.

At the moment, until we see how Henderson and Thiago react to there injuries, in the smaller games, I'd be inclined to swap one of them for Keita (or Jones) so we aren't overloading both at the same time.

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

I would argue that his pressing stats will be good because he’s a good reader of the game, rather than him being able to cover ground quickly. Which is my point about his running. He looks like he’s pulling a caravan when he tries to close space down.

Wonder if there’s an expected caravans (xC) stat knocking about?

I wouldn't be shocked if they got that stat for next season now you've brought it up. Have you seen this fucking xT they're brought out for this season? i just read it and think "fuck off" 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I wouldn't be shocked if they got that stat for next season now you've brought it up. Have you seen this fucking xT they're brought out for this season? i just read it and think "fuck off" 

Is that the expected threat one? Mental.

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Naby's right up there in pressing numbers consistently I think.

Not saying the pressing will fall off a cliff but Thiago will be more metronomic and measured.

Thiago's a more successful presser of the ball than Naby.  Wins more tackles too.

It's all about presentation.

Call it xG and people will rebound in horror, say 'should have scored there' and the football sages will nod wisely in agreement.

xT just attempts to quantify 'he picked the the wrong option' (or any other similar cliché  you want to use) and assess the probability of scoring pre and post an action.

19 hours ago, Scott_M said:

It won’t. Given they have 3 games in September, I’d bet they all miss Leeds away.

You’d think it won’t be as chaotic as it could be, but I’m not inclined to trust that it won’t be an utter clusterfuck.

Need to keep them off with an injuries and “positive” COVID test just before the breaks as and when is necessary if that remains the case.

2 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Hence pressing won't be affected negatively as he's better at it than Naby.  As well as tackling and intercepting better too. 

But we'll do less of it as it'll be more targeted and from a different part of the pitch.

Nobody said it was negative, just that we'd lose a bit of it.