You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

12 minutes ago, Moo said:

Thought so.  

I don't think relying on an injury prone Hendo, and a very very unproven youngster is a good idea.  Even if you think that Thiago will be more than alright, putting in anything like Wijnaldum numbers and performances (I don't), we're still a player short imo.

Look, ideally I would swap Keita for someone properly good (or even Gini). But not to come across all @m0e here, which other teams 1st choice midfield is better than Fab, Thiago, Hendo?

And which teams 5th-8th choice midfielders are better than Milner, Ox, Keita and Elliot?

How are people judging the midfielders at our club?

Is it in comparison to what other midfielders do at other clubs (Pogba and Fernandes for example) and anything other than that means they are ineffective, is it based on what you want from a midfielder that may run counter to what our midfielders are actually asked to do?

Keita, for example, completed 95% of his passes including top 5 passes into the final third, highest number of defensive duels (figures from @samMcguire90). That's pretty much what a midfielder in Klopp's system needs to do.

Granted he didn't score a hatrick or get three assists, it's wasn't the best performance we've ever seen from a player and the prospect of an injury is always in the back of peoples minds but he can be a massively useful part of the team and far better than 6th/7th 8th choice midfielder.

He's up there in progressive carries, dribbling, pressing pressure, interceptions many of the things Liverpool covet in a midfield player, durability is the only question mark.

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Is it in comparison to what other midfielders do at other clubs (Pogba and Fernandes for example) and anything other than that means they are ineffective, is it based on what you want from a midfielder that may run counter to what our midfielders are actually asked to do?

Keita, for example, completed 95% of his passes including top 5 passes into the final third, highest number of defensive duels (figures from @samMcguire90). That's pretty much what a midfielder in Klopp's system needs to do.

Granted he didn't score a hatrick or get three assists, it's wasn't the best performance we've ever seen from a player and the prospect of an injury is always in the back of peoples minds but he can be a massively useful part of the team and far better than 6th/7th 8th choice midfielder.

Keita's good bits were in the first half.  2nd half he became a bit detached from the game a la OX.  OX being crap 1st and 2nd half exacerbated the uneasiness.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rotpeter said:

Keita's good bits were in the first half.  2nd half he became a bit detached from the game a la OX.  OX being crap 1st and 2nd half exacerbated the uneasiness.

Chamberlain was probably knackered from chasing his lost passes in the friendly on Monday. Poor thing. Nice lad though.

1 minute ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Chamberlain was probably knackered from chasing his lost passes in the friendly on Monday. Poor thing. Nice lad though.

He was OK in that game I thought.  Earned him a chance at a start which he consequently flushed down the toilet!

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

He's up there in progressive carries, dribbling, pressing pressure, interceptions many of the things Liverpool covet in a midfield player, durability is the only question mark.

I'm judging them against what we've had in the recent past when we've been successful.

I suppose it comes down to if you have faith, or not, that Thiago can replicate Wijnaldum's 34, 35, and 32 league starts and consistency in the last three seasons.

And whether you think Henderson can make approx 20-26 league starts this season.

I don't think those two things will happen.

As for Keita can he even be considered cover for injuries to our first choice three when he's usually injured too? 9 and 7 starts in the last two seasons.

So that leaves us with a 35 year old Milner (a non entity when starting in midfield) and two unproven kids. Oh and Oxlade-Chamberlain who I've always liked as a player but he's stood no chance since that injury.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Could be missing Allison, Fabinho and Firminho for the Utd game....which  is nice.

Why? Brazil play on the 8th and 13th October. We play Watford beforehand. 

I suppose they’d be missing Fred as well. 

The problem since the start has always been that we were never going to add on top of Keita or Ox, we'd always have to sell to replace. As soon as someone said that in like June, I thought, yeah, that's what's gonna happen, no midfielder.

Thiago is Gini’s replacement and Konaté puts Fab back in midfield permanently, so the numbers are the same.

7 minutes ago, Moo said:

I'm judging them against what we've had in the recent past when we've been successful.

I suppose it comes down to if you have faith, or not, that Thiago can replicate Wijnaldum's 34, 35, and 32 league starts and consistency in the last three seasons.

And whether you think Henderson can make approx 20-26 league starts this season.

I don't think those two things will happen.

As for Keita can he even be considered cover for injuries to our first choice three when he's usually injured too? 9 and 7 starts in the last two seasons.

So that leaves us with a 35 year old Milner (a non entity when starting in midfield) and two unproven kids. Oh and Oxlade-Chamberlain who I've always liked as a player but he's stood no chance since that injury.

I absolutely get, and share, concerns based on durability and think we need another body to cover for Henderson, Keita and Ox (although I think they'll try and cover it by committee if they can't get someone they really want). Talent wise less so.

5 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I absolutely get, and share, concerns based on durability and think we need another body to cover for Henderson, Keita and Ox. Talent wise less so.

They need talent too as there's no point in those players you mention having all the talent in the world if we can't get it on the pitch.

edit - I wouldn't be surprised if between them Hendo and Thiago only just manage to match Wijnaldum's number of starts (not to mention Thiago's questionable suitability to the team, but that should become apparent one way or the other over this season)

• Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Quarantine potentially, Fifa saying clubs can't refuse participation.

I’m sure there are some special regulations for elite sports people. 

If they were going to be quarantined for 10 days after every international break…

F47E6798-E865-440E-83DF-8118BBA1A8C0.png

Just before Xmas they’d miss…

Leeds A

CL

Palace H

Watford A

CL

Man Utd A

Arsenal H

CL

Southampton H

I can’t see it.