You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Maybe they just plan to loan him for years getting the type of loan fees we used to get for Harry Wilson? 

And if he steps up, great. If not, we haven't lost anything and we haven't taken the risk of him making mistakes in our games. 

Ben Davies is set to join Sheffield United on loan. A season-long deal has been agreed this morning and the final details are being arranged for him to complete the move early next week.

Davies has been the number one choice for the Blades new manager Slavisa Jokanovic to fill the left-sided centre half spot. Talks have been ongoing for a while and United wanted the option to buy Davies - but it was rebuffed by Liverpool.

An undisclosed loan fee is also involved which also includes a promotion bonus if Sheffield United are promoted back to the Premier League this term. The Reds had planned to keep Davies but Rhys Williams is said to have impressed Jurgen Klopp in pre-season. 

[@SkySportsLyall]

54 minutes ago, aws said:

And if he steps up, great. If not, we haven't lost anything and we haven't taken the risk of him making mistakes in our games. 

Well I very much doubt he will step up for us, I don't see a situation where he'll get a game for us. But he might well help get Sheffield promoted and get a bigger move than he could this year and maybe there'll be some more money available at smaller clubs after a year of fans back in grounds. 

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well I very much doubt he will step up for us, I don't see a situation where he'll get a game for us. But he might well help get Sheffield promoted and get a bigger move than he could this year and maybe there'll be some more money available at smaller clubs after a year of fans back in grounds. 

I think that's why there's no option to buy, if he has a good season we are not obliged to sell for a potentially lower amount.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

That's what I meant really. If he ends up looking like Prem level (and supposedly he was one on the best CBs in the Championship) we could cash in by selling him to the Blades or someone else. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

When you realise how broke we are its just damn good job we got top 4 last season, we're fucked without that income.

Why is a club our size fucked without it though. Arsenal not had it years and hasn't stopped them spending huge amounts. 

22 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Why is a club our size fucked without it though. Arsenal not had it years and hasn't stopped them spending huge amounts. 

Arsenal had the highest cash reserve of any club in football up to a few years ago on top of that they took out a 120 million CCFF loan and an additional Barclays loan to pay back that 120 million and posted losses of 27 and 47 million in their last two sets of accounts.

They bought their biggest signing on the catalogue and are paying back 50p a week for the next 3 hundred years. They have lots of shit players (and a few good young ones) on relatively low wages which still makes them overpaid when you consider performances.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

So Williams in at No.5 and Phillips out.

I know he's only a kid but I just don't see anything in Williams to even remotely suggest he'll make a half decent centre half.

He's incredibly timid and slow, his passing is poor, I see no composure. He's never going to make it, just get rid.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, an tha said:

What is the point of loaning Davies out....he's never played for us, probably never will - he isn't a kid...just sell.

I think the point is nobody wants to buy him. So we get his wages off the wage bill, the loan fee if sheff United probably covers the half mill up front cost of his signing and come next summer, there might be more money in the market and if he's helped get sheff United up, at least 1 club will be in to buy him. 

7 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

You could give Arsenal all the money in the world, if Edu and Arteta are the ones spending it they will always be shite.

Arsenal have struggled with signings since Wenger's secrets run out.